Chapter 11

My Heart's Sonata

 

Tears also dropped from Jade’s eyes. She again felt the hug of love and security. She closed her eyes and leaned on Shawn’s warm and soft chest. The both of them embraced and cherished the magical moment.

 

“Please… spend the whole night with me…” Shawn said as he let go of Jade.

 

Without waiting for Jade’s reply, he grabbed her hand and brought her inside his car. Jade was so stunned at that time. She couldn’t think what to do.

 

Jade seated at the passenger seat. Her heart pounded when Shawn’s face got near to her. She closed her eyes… their lips almost touched as Shawn reached for the seat belt. He drove swiftly. It was already a quarter before 11pm at that time and the traffic was so smooth at that time. He made his first stop at a designer shop. He went out from his car and opened the door for Jade. He lent his right hand and Jade reached for it. He accompanied her until they got in the store. He let Jade to sit on the couch on the centremost part of the shop. Then, he grabbed a red classic cocktail dress. He looked at it and looked at Jade to see if the dress would be perfect to her. He placed it on his left hand and grabbed a pair of black stilettos. He walked to Jade and gave the items to her…

 

“Here. Try them.” Shawn said.

 

Jade tried everything and each was a perfect fit. She went out from the dressing room… Shawn was captivated with Jade’s natural beauty. The red cocktail dress went perfectly well with her fair complexion and slim body. On the other hand, the black stilettos worried her. She was not really used to in wearing high heels. Until… “Ah --- I totally forgot that you might feel uncomfortable with the stilettos… I just remembered that you were in flats last time…” Shawn said. Shawn was seating on the sofa where Jade had seated earlier.

 

“Ma’am, this would also match your outfit.” The female staff handed a pair of elegant black shoes to Jade.  

 

“Close the whole place. We’ll be here ‘til tomorrow.” Shawn told the smart looking man at his 40’s.

 

“Okay, Sir, Enjoy the rest of the night.” The man replied.

Shawn brought Jade to a first class restaurant at the top most part of a five star hotel that they owned. The restaurant was elegant and open to the cold breeze of the silent night. It has a small stage where a black grand piano was located. The bright moon and the stars brightened the whole scene. Shawn pulls the seat for Jade and let her seat. Jade sat as she watched the stars that twinkled during the night. The waiter poured the wine in their glasses and Jade drank some as she watched the stars.

 

“I think you really like them…” Shawn said. He was pertaining to the stars.

 

“Y --- Yes. Staring at them makes me feel relieve and happy.” Jade replied.

 

Shawn smiled and stared at Jade’s childlike reaction while gazing at the stars.  He stood up and went to the grand piano. He played some classical sonatas. Jade watched and later walked towards the stage. Shawn looked at her and moved sideward. He signalled her to sit beside him as he played. She went up and sat beside him. She stared at him as he continuously play. It was her first time to see him that close and for the long time. She gazed from his closed eyes, his long lashes, his perfectly sculpted nose down to his pinkish lips. He opened his eyes and faced Jade.

 

“Wanna learn how to play?” Shawn asked.

 

“No. it’s fine…” Jade replied.

 

“Give me your hands… Wow, you’re the luckiest person in the world… Imagine… Shawn Stephen Lim offered you piano lessons for free!!” Shawn told Jade to make her feel comfortable.

 

 “Many influential and rich people are ready to pay me millions just to teach their kids...” He added.

 

“Thanks... Stephen… Thank you for everything…” Jade replied. 

 

Jade wasn’t really sure why she’d call Shawn by his second name. She might just get overwhelmed.

 

“You’re really unique. You’re the only person who called me with my second name.” Shawn replied in amazement.

 

“Oh… I’m sorry… Did I offend you?” Jade asked.

 

“Of course not. I like it…” Shawn replied.  At that night, Jade became comfortable with Shawn. Thanks to Shawn’s effort…

 

“Hey, friend! Where have you been? Where did you get that… that…. THAT!” Bernadette pertained to Jade’s outfit and still in her pajamas when Jade arrived.

 

“I’m sorry for making you worry.” Jade replied.

 

“If you’re going out late at night, will you at least bring your cell phone with you?”

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“Ok. Fine, but, next time…----“. Bernadette paused… ‘

 

tok, tok, tok’

 

Jade opened the door.

 

It was Shawn who was outside.

 

“Ahmmm… May I come in?” Shawn asked.

 

Jade widely opened the door for Shawn to enter.

 

“Oh, you’re him?” Bernadette was surprised.

 

“Him?” Shawn asked back.

 

“You’re Mr. S.S.Lim. right?” Bernadette replied.

 

“Yes.” Shawn answered.

 

“So, you’re with a friend?” Shawn asked.

 

“Y --- Yes… She’s Bernadette, my friend…” Jade replied.

 

“I guess that I don’t need to worry anymore.” Shawn said.

 

“I’m Shawn, by the way.” Shawn added.