Chapter 7

My Heart's Sonata

 

“Are you Ms. Jade?” the young man asked.

 

“Ye—Yes” Jade replied with quite nerves.

 

”Follow me” the young man opened the door for her and accompanied Jade inside the theatre.

 

 The theatre already closed the lights during that time. The entire scene was totally dark and only the light on the stairs as well as the lighted stage gave bright to the whole theatre. The play wasn’t starting yet and nothing but a deadly silence conquered the whole place. Jade was puzzled why it was too silent and she realized that no one was there but only she and the young man.

 

“Excuse me. Are we at the right place?” Jade asked.

 

“Yes. Ma’am… “ the young man replied.

 

“Whe--- Where is everyone? Aren’t we going to watch a play?” Jade asked again.

 

The young man didn’t reply and continue to walk Jade to her seat. After a couple of steps on the stairs, Jade stopped and decided to go back. As she turned, a warm and soft hand grabbed her hand…

 

“Hey, where are you going? Sit here” A familiar voice registered in Jade’s ear.

 

“You can go now.” The voice addressed the young man who accompanied Jade.

 

“Enjoy the play, sir and ma’am.” The young man replied and vanished from the scene.

 

“You, Miss. Sit right here.” The voice told Jade and still holding Jades hands.

 

Jade gazed the man. Through the stage’s light, Jade was able to see the man who grabbed her hands. He was in his 20’s wearing a navy blue suit and inside it was a white collared shirt with three of its buttons opened. The man being gazed by Jade was Shawn. Jade remembered Shawn’s face the last time she saw him.

 

“The show will start in 2 minutes…” a male voice announced.

 

 “Hey, will you watch the show standing? If I’m not mistaken, the show will be 2 hours long.” Shawn convinced Jade as he set free Jade’s hand.

 

 Jade sat next to Shawn. After Jade seated, Shawn’s heart started again to pound. Jade’s perfume bloomed making Shawn’s heart to pound more. The show started and still Shawn can hear his heart. He stood up.

 

“I’ll be back.” Shawn went out to breathe in some fresh air.

 

 “What the ---” Shawn told to himself and sighed.

 

After feeling at ease, he immediately went back inside the theatre.  Before he sat, he made a deep breath.

 

“Are you alright?” Jade asked.  

 

“Yes. I’m fine. You--- you are you fine? Aren’t you cold?” Shawn asked.

 

“No. I’m fine. Thanks” Jade looked at Shawn and smiled.

 

After this conversation, the Jade and Shawn became silent until the play ended.

After the play ended, Jade immediately stood up and opened her purse. She grabbed her wallet next to a pepper spray that she always brings with her for safety purposes.

 

“Ahmmm… Thanks for sending me to the hospital last time. My friend told me that you paid for my bill.” Jade said as she brought out her wallet from her purse.

 

“Oh that? It’s fine. Everything is settled don’t worry.” Shawn replied.

 

“No, Please take this. It’s my fault and I’m sorry for causing you too much trouble…” Jade insisted as she handed several 100 bills to Shawn.

 

“Trouble? It’s nothing… you don’t need to pay me. A simple thanks is enough.” Shawn replied as he stood up.

 

Jade remembered the last time when Bernadette told the same thing to her. It made her realized that Bernadette was right.

 

“We --- Well… Thank you” Jade stuttered.

 

Jade kept her money inside her wallet. 

 

“Just think of it as an early Christmas gift.” Shawn said.

 

Shawn checked his watch and saw that it was already 7:03pm.

 

“I still got 27 minutes.”Shawn said to himself.

 

Shawn grabbed Jade’s hand and accompany her to the first row at the center most part of the theatre.

 

“This will be my first time to perform privately for just a single person for free. So sit back, relax, enjoy and just listen…” Shawn romantically told Jade.

 

Jade sat and Shawn went on stage. A white grand piano slowly appeared  and elevated on stage. Shawn sat and started to play. He first played Chopin’s Nocturne. As he played…

 

“Do you know this?” He asked Jade.

 

“I’m sorry but I really don’t know anything about instrumental pieces.” Jade replied.

 

 “Well, this piece was made by Chopin. It’s title is Nocturne.” Shawn informed Jade as he continued to play.

 

Jade smiled.

 

Shawn finished Chopin’s piece and…

 

“Jade, may I have your phone for a while? Don’t worry I won’t get your number.” Shawn said.

 

Without any word, Jade handed her phone to Shawn. Shawn browsed Jade’s phone for a while and returned it again to Jade. He again started to play the piano.

 

“I’m definitely sure you know this.” Shawn played the song There You’ll be by Faith Hill.

 

It was Jade’s favourite song. A song that she only placed in a folder entitled, favourite, at her phone’s music gallery. With full of passion, Shawn played Jade’s favourite song. It seemed that his entire heart and soul was into it. Jade almost cried that time because it was hear first time to feel so special. After playing, Shawn stood up and gazed at Jade. He went down the stage and went to Jade. He stood up in front of her, just centimetres away to her.

 

“Please stand for a while… A--- I just need to confirm something.” Shawn stuttered.  Jade stood up…