Chapter 4

My Heart's Sonata

 

Brag!

 

Jade lost her consciousness. The man immediately went to her and tried to wake her up. After a couple of tries, he just decided to carry her but her costume won’t fit at the door of his car.

 

“Poor chicken. My car’s door looks  too small for you.” He joked to himself to lessen his nerves.

 

The man just grabbed his phone from his pocket and call for an ambulance.

 

“Hello, it’s me Shawn. Please send an ambulance here at Washington Street near the pedestrian lane. A lady lost her consciousness. Hurry Please.” Shawn hung up.

 

While Shawn was waiting for the ambulance, he leaned Jade on the side of his car and grabbed her head piece and placed it beside her. Finally, the ambulance came. The nurses carried Jade on the stretcher and lifted it inside the ambulance. Shawn grabbed again Jade’s head piece and placed it in his car. Shawn followed the ambulance until they reach the City Medical Center, a first class hospital. Jade’s stretcher was pushed by two male nurses and directed it to the emergency room. Shawn followed for a while and then he stopped to call someone.

 

“Hello, Dr. Job. It’s emergency. I’m here outside the emergency room.” Shawn said.

 

 In no time, Dr. Job arrived.

 

 “Doc, will you check that woman in the emergency room who wears a chicken mascot. She lost her consciousness a while ago.” Shawn told the doctor.

 

“She’s just dehydrated. She’s fine now.” Dr. Job informed Shawn.

 

“Oh, Thanks. That’s a relief.” Shawn replied. Shawn went inside the emergency room to check Jade’s condition.

 

 He sat on the chair beside Jade’s bed.

 

“ZZZzzzzzZzZz” Jade sounded.

 

Shawn laughed.

 

 “What a woman. It’s been a tiring day. I guess.” Shawn told to himself.

 

Before leaving the hospital, Shawn paid for Jade’s bill. Afterwards, he went to his car. It was already midnight that time. It was totally dark and quiet and only the light posts and the head lights of some cars that passes by brightened the evening. Shawn opened the door of his car. He sat down, started his car and drove full speed. As he drives, He decided to play the classical piano music that he used to listen earlier. As he reached for the volume knob of his radio to increase the volume, he saw the chicken head piece that he placed on his passenger seat moments ago.  He thought to go back again to the City Medical Center in order to return the chicken head but he realized that he was already miles far from the hospital. So, he just drove his way back home.

 

Jade’s cell phone rang. It was inside her pocket. Its vibration made Jade to wake up. She opened her eyes and searched for her pocket. She realized that she’s still inside her chicken costume and only the chicken wings were removed from her body. She stood up and reached for the zipper of her costume. She found it and ped but the dextrose on her left hand became her problem. A female nurse saw her and helped her to remove her costume.

 

“Thanks.” Jade thanked.

 

Jade grabbed her cell phone from her pocket and saw that Bernadette’s name flashing on it. She answered it.

 

 “Hello?” Jade answered.

 

“I’m here at the hospital but don’t worry I think I’m okay now.” Jade explained to Bernadette in a low and weak voice.

 

Jade was staring at her pillow and read the small print at the top left side of her it saying City Medical Center.

 

“Yes. I’m here at the City Medical Center.” Jade replied.

 

“No, you don’t need to be here.  I’m fine now. It’s already late at night.” Jade worried.

 

“ Ok. You can just pick me up tomorrow morning.” Jade added.

 

“Thanks and I’m sorry for making you worry. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Jade hung up.

 

Shawn reached his house a quarter before 1am. He brought with him the chicken head and placed it on the glass table at his living room. Then, he took off his suit and placed it on his white sofa. He ed three of his buttons and went to his kitchen to get a cup of coffee. After two sips, he put down his cup and went to his bathroom to make a short shower. Then, after his shower, he went straight to his bed and slept.

 

“Excuse me. Where can I see Jade Pecson?” Bernadette asked.

 

“ Ah, the chicken mascot?” the nurse asked.

 

” Yes, I think it’s her.” Bernadette replied.

 

Bernadette went right away to the emergency room and saw Jade tidying thing up.

 

“Hey, what happened to you? Are you alright?” Bernadette asked.

 

“Yes, I think I’m okay now. The nurse told me that I was just dehydrated.” Jade explained.

 

“I told you to drink lots of water! The weather is too hot! It’s summer! Be careful next time.” Bernadette told Jade.

 

“Thanks and I’m sorry.” Jade replied.

 

“Wait, did you already pay for the bill?” Bernadette replied.

 

“Not yet.” Jade answered.

 

Bernadette went to the nurse station to ask for Jade’s bill.

“Ahmm… Well, ma’am. Here bill is fine now. Mr. Lim already settled it.” The nurse told Bernadette.

 

“ Oh. Really? Mr. Lim?” Bernadette asked.

 

 “Yes, He was the one who called us last night.” The nurse explained.

 

“Ok. Thanks.” Bernadette thanked.

 

“is she seeing that guy? “ she told to herself.

 

While walking, she imagined how Mr. Lim looks like. She pictured a scene in her mind that Jade is having a dinner with a man (Mr. Lim), a lean and tall man. But… an old man…

 

“Eiww… No. No.” Bernadette wobbled her head.

 

Jade was sitting on the hospital bed while waiting for Bernadette.

 

“Jade, are you seeing someone?” Bernadette asked.

 

 “No, why?” Jade replied.

 

“Who’s Mr. Lim? The nurse told me that he’s the one who called the hospital?” Bernadette asked again.

 

Jade remembered the whole incident that happened last night. Everything flashed back starting from the pedestrian lane scene until she passed out.

 

“Maybe. It’s him” Jade replied.

 

“What? Him?” Bernadette asked.

 

 Jade told Bernadette the incident. That she was about to die due to her carelessness and later passed out.

 

“Thank God you’re okay.” Bernadette told Jade.

 

Bernadette helped Jade with her things when suddenly Bernadette noticed something was missing.

 

“Where’s the chicken head?” Bernadette asked.