Chapter 12

My Heart's Sonata

 

Shawn left Jade’s place after having some small talk with Jade and Bernadette. He went inside his car and grabbed a small bottle in the passenger’s compartment. It was his medicine that Dr. Job asked him to take thrice every day. After he took his medicine, he decided to rest first inside his car but on the back of his head, he just wanted to wait for Jade and to give her a ride to know where she was working.

 

“Friend, I need to go now… Please, take care of the dishes. I will be late!” Bernadette told Jade.

 

“Okay. Don’t worry…” Jade replied.

 

By the time Bernadette left, Jade already started to wash the dishes. She took a 30-minute nap before she prepared to go to work. For that day, She was scheduled to do the afternoon shift as Crispee at the Enchanted Park.

 

It was already past 11am when Jade left their apartment. She walked until the bus stop and wait for a bus.

 

‘Beep, Beep..’

 

 A black sports car stopped right in front of her. The window at the passenger’s seat opened.

 

“Aren’t you riding? Today’s my day-off from stardom… I decided to be your driver for the rest of the day.” Shawn said.

 

“No. I’m fine… I think that you should take a rest… You…. You played the whole night…. ” Jade replied.

 

“If that’s what you want… Your wish is my command.” Shawn replied.

 

Jade sat on the bench as she waited for a bus. As she waited, she didn’t noticed that she fell asleep. After Shawn parked his car blocks away from the bus stop, He right away went back to Jade. He saw her with her head nodded. He sat beside her and placed her head on his shoulder to give her comfort. The first bus stopped and still Jade was asleep. Shawn signalled the bus driver to keep quiet and just go. The second bus took 10 minutes to arrive. At this time, he woke Jade up.

“Hey, sleepy chicken wake up… You’re enjoying leaning too much on my shoulder.” Shawn told Jade.

 

Jade woke up and started to process everything.

 

“Wh--- Why you’re here? I thought ---“ Jade paused.

 

“Hey, aren’t you riding?” the driver said.

 

Jade went inside the bus and Shawn followed her. They both sat at the second to the last row.

 

“Aren’t you sleeping?” Shawn told Jade and tried again to offer his shoulder to Jade.

 

“No. I’m fine now… Thanks!” Jade replied.

 

“Well, you’re not the only one who was also awake the whole night…” Shawn said and leaned his head on Jade’s shoulder.

 

She just let him to lean on her shoulder because, she couldn’t do anything. Plus, she doesn’t like to make a scene inside the bus. It was a long trip until they reached the Enchanted Park. Jade found herself asleep. Her head was leaning on Shawn’s head at that time.

 

“You’re working here?!” Shawn asked.

 

“Yes.” Jade replied.

 

“Since when?”

 

”I’ve been here for years.”

 

“Wow, what a destiny! You might be the chicken mascot who bumped me a long time ago?!”

 

“I can’t remember when that was… ‘coz many people especially children bumped at me… I mean it’s… already natural in this type of work… I’m sorry…”

 

“Apology unaccepted. You need to pay me. Kidding! I’ll see tonight!” Shawn waved his goodbye.

 

“And wait for my message!!” He added.

 

Jade waved back and entered the amusement park.

 

Shawn returned to the place where he parked and his car. As he opened the door of his car, he felt that something was stocked in his chest. His heart started to pound too fast again… He sat on his car seat to take a rest for a moment. He again reached for his medicine and drank it. He closed his eyes and waited for his condition to be fine again. He closed his door and started to drive. He went to his house to rest for a little bit and to change his clothes. In the mid-afternoon, he went out again and stopped in a shop that sells telescopes. He bought the best telescope that the shop can offer. Not too far, he walked and entered a jewellery shop. He went around the shop and saw a beautiful necklace that has a beautiful star pendant.

 

“Excuse me. May I see that one.” Shawn pointed to the necklace that he wanted. The male staff handed him the necklace. He inspected it and…

 

“Can you make a customized hair clip?” Shawn asked the male staff.

 

“Yes, Sir.” The male staff replied.

 

“Can you make me a hair clip that looks like this?” Shawn pertaining to the star pendant.

 

“I need it this evening.” Shawn added.

 

It was 6pm when Jade’s afternoon shift ended; Shawn was waiting for her at restaurant near the amusement park to have a dinner with her. Jade arrived and automatically, Shawn lent her a seat. He ordered the most expensive dishes and the most valuable wine in the restaurant. After they ate, He brought her in an open area…

 

“Last night, you told me that the stars make you happy and tonight, I will be your Genie. I will make them close to you.” Shawn told Jade.

 

He got the telescope from his back compartment and set it outside the car. He signalled Jade to go out from the car. He sat on the front part of his car and asked her to sit beside him.  The entire black sky was full of shinning stars. It became a perfect time for them to star gazed.

 

“Here, take a look.” Shawn set the telescope to the brightest star that shone during that evening.

 

He grabbed something inside his wallet. It was a small black box.

 

“I have something for you…” He told Jade as he opened the box.

 

It was the customized hair clip… It was a silver star that has pieces of small white diamonds around it. Jade gazed at it and Shawn clipped it on her hair.

 

“It’s cheesy but it fits you perfectly…” Shawn said.

 

He lied down on the front body of his car. He extended his right arm and asked Jade to also lie down and to rest her head on his arm. She smiled and remained seated. He pulled her arm and gave her a pleading look to lie down. In the end, Jade lied on his arm.

 

“At first, I thought of giving you a necklace… but… I realized that It’s kinda usual thing to do… and… you’re a very unique person… who made the heart of this perfect guy to pound and pound and pound….” Shawn added.

 

“Thanks…ah… I --- don’t know what to say…” Jade replied.

 

“A simple thanks will do…” he replied and closed his eyes.

 

“ You know. In my whole life, I thought that people behind mascots don’t look good at all. Before, I believed that they just used the mascots to hide their true feelings and ugliness… but… when I met you… I think everything has changed…” Shawn said.

 

“Though, they made me remembered my mom who abandoned me… still… you left me with such a good memory about them…” Shawn added.

 

“I’m sorry to hear that… but… we’re also the same… My mom also abandoned me when I was one or two… She left me at this orphanage… people told me that she left me because of my dad… my dad left my mom because of me… I was just a product of sinful lust between two married couples… It’s painful but the truth really hurts… I left the orphanage four years ago… after I heard about my mom’s reason why she’d left me… for months, the streets became my home and at that time the stars became my companion…. Until… I met Bernadette…” Jade opened up.

 

“Wow, look how powerful fate is… I think we’re really compatible… we both share the same story… but... I think you’re story is more tragic…” Shawn told Jade and tightened his arm around her.

 

After hearing their stories to tell, the two of them slept under the shining stars.

 

The loud pound of Shawn’s heart woke him up. His whole body sweated too much. His chest burned again but at this time the heat that he felt inside his body tripled compared to the last time that he felt it. He couldn’t breathe… He stood up and tried to get in his car to get his medicine… Jade woke up…

 

“Are you okay?” Jade asked Shawn and went on his side.

 

“Do --- ‘nt… Wo---rry“ He said as he tried to catch some air.

 

 “I’m ----- F-------“ Shawn lost his consciousness…