Chapter 5

My Heart's Sonata

 

“Haiho, haiho,….” The seven dwarfs sang.

 

Shawn was sitting on his sofa with a cup of coffee on his side while watching TV. He was first browsing the channels until he saw the seven dwarfs’ scene. While watching, he remembered the time when he and his mom spent some of their time in watching cartoons and fairy tales…

 

“Mom, when I grew up, I will marry Snow White.” Little Shawn told his mother.

 

“Oh? Really? I think Snow White will be the happiest princess of all, because, My Shawn is the most handsome prince of them all.” Shawn’s mom replied and gave him a kiss and a tight hug.

 

“ZZZZzzzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZ” Sleepy snored.

 Shawn remembered his last glance to Jade when he was in the hospital. He again laughed and told to himself,

 

 “How extraordinary.”

 

It was his first time to see a woman snored, although, he spent some of his time meeting and dating different types of women. He removed his focus from his television and accidentally glimpsed at the glass table not so far from where he’s sitting. He saw the chicken head. He starred it for a while and ignored it. He stood up and made a few steps towards his piano. He stopped and starred again to the chicken head. He went to the glass table and grabbed it. As he holds it between his two hands, he asked to himself,

 

“Is she looking for this?” He inspected the chicken head and searched something or anything that would make it precious.

 

“Hmmm… nothing but just a ball of synthetic feathers with two eyes and a beak. She can afford to buy another one.” He told to himself as he put back again the chicken head on the glass table.

 

From the hospital, Jade and Bernadette went to their apartment.

 

“Friend, that forever bachelor will get mad at you again… (Referring to Jade’s boss) ok, I won’t be going to work today. Let’s find Crispee’s head. (Crispee is the name of the chicken mascot).” Bernadette suggested.

 

“No, it’s alright. I think he’ll consider if I tell him the truth.” Jade replied.

 

“What? I don’t think that he’ll do that. Duh!!” Bernadette said.

 

“Okay. I’ll think about it. Aren’t you really going to work?” Jade asked.

 

 “Duh, I just said earlier that I will help you to find Crispee’s head.” Bernadette replied.

 

“No, it’s fine. I think I know where it is.” Jade replied.

 

 “Are you sure? Ok, I’ll go with you.” Bernadette answered.

 

 “No, I’ll just go by myself. It’s summer, many people will be going to the Enchanted Park (the amusement park where Jade and Bernadette are working). Many people would love to bring home lots of souvenirs with them.” Jade convinced Bernadette.

 

“Fine. You got a point. Just be careful my friend ok?” Bernadette replied.

 

Bernadette left Jade at their apartment and went to the amusement park. Jade took a bath and had her lunch before leaving to look for the chicken head piece that she lost last night. She walked her way to the bus stop. That day, Jade was wearing a sleeveless white shirt with a hoody, a pair of skinny jeans, light pink sneakers and a small black back pack. She pony tailed her hair and wore a pink cap. She went again to Washington Street and asked every establishment in area if they saw the chicken head piece that she lost last night. She was not used to this, talking to somebody, to different types of people, due to her reserve personality. It was already dark and still no chicken head appeared. Jade’s phone rang. She searched her phone inside her bag and answered it.

 

“Hello.” Jade answered. It was her boss calling.

 

 “Where are you?” Her boss asked.

 

 “I’m here at Washington Street, Sir.” Jade replied.

 

“So, Why you’re there?!! Where’s Crispee?!! Aren’t you going to return her here?!!” Her boss madly shouted.

“Ah… I’m sorry. Sir…. I lost her head.” Jade replied.

 

“WHAT?! You lost it!! You…You--- ok, just look for it. AND NEVER COME BACK UNTIL YOU FOUND IT!!!!” he hung the phone.

 

 Jade was about to cry but she tried not to. She walked a few steps and sat on the bench. She sighed, place her back pack on her side and removed her cap.

 

“Crispee, where can I find you?” she told herself as she stares up at the stars.

 

Shawn was on his way to a restaurant to meet his dad and have a dinner with him. Only once every month when Shawn and his dad see each other. Shawn’s dad is business tycoon. He has his chain of hotels, restaurants, casinos and hospitals locally and internationally. The City Medical Center was one of their hospitals.

 

“Hey, Son! It’s been another month!” Shawn’s dad welcomed and gave Shawn a hug.

 

Shawn also hugged him without saying any word. Both of them sat facing each other. Their table was full of expensive food together with the most valuable wine that the restaurant can offer. They started to eat until Shawn’s dad broke the silence…

 

 “So, son. How are you?” His dad started the conversation.

 

 “I heard that you brought a woman in our hospital last night.” Shawn listened as he sips some wine.

 

 “I told you to stop doing such silly ---“. Shawn put down his wine and…

 

“Dad, if you just called me just to say that, It would have just been better not to see you.” Shawn told his dad. “I’m done. See you next month.” Shawn stood up and left.

 

Shawn was not really in good terms with his dad. He hates his dad too much for not looking for his mom after she’d left them.

 

Shawn went to his car and drove in full speed. He stopped at the first red light. While waiting for the green light, a familiar woman appeared and passed in front of his car. She wears a pink cap with her hair in ponied. It was Shawn’s first time to follow a woman a gaze as she disappears in front of his eyes…