Chapter 6

My Heart's Sonata

 

It was green light already. It took a couple of seconds for Shawn to step on the gas and for the rarest time, he didn’t drive in full speed. Until he got home, still, the woman with the pink cap bothered him. As he entered his house, he went straight to his living room and grabbed the chicken head piece.

 

“Saw your owner earlier. I think she’s not looking for you…” Shawn told the chicken head.

 

He walked a few steps starring and holding the chicken head with both of his hands and sat on his piano chair.

 

“But I think, It’s my responsibility to return you to your owner.” He continued.

 

Shawn placed the chicken head somewhere on the top part of his piano. He stood up and walked his way to his white sofa. He sat there for a while and then decided to lie down. His head was on the left edge while his two legs were extended and crossed though the length of the sofa wasn’t enough for his size. He closed his eyes and remembered the last time when he went to the amusement park and bumped a chicken mascot. He sighed and told to himself;

 

“Chicken mascots can be found everywhere…”Shawn closed again his eyes and placed his right arm on his head.

 

After a few seconds, he placed down his right arm and reached for his cell phone. He browsed Dr. Job number and pressed the call button.

 

“Hello, Dr. Job, it’s me Shawn.” Shawn introduced.

 

 “Do you remember the woman that I brought there? Will you send me her name and address? “ Shawn demanded.

 

 “Ok, thanks!” Shawn hung up.

 

Shawn stood up and went to his kitchen to get a glass of water. Together with the glass of water, he went inside his room and in no time, his cell phone alerted for a message. It was a message coming from Dr. Job regarding Jade’s full name and address. As Shawn read the message, His heart started to beat fast. The night’s silence made him hear every beat that his heart makes. He sighed and closed his eyes to ease himself…

 

It was already past 9pm when Jade arrived home.

 

“Had you found it?” Bernadette asked.

 

“No, but, I’ll be back again tomorrow to look for it.” Jade replied.

 

“Oh, gosh… It would had been better, if two of us looked for it. Don’t worry. I’ll just go to work in the afternoon and during the morning; I’ll help you to find it.” Bernadette suggested.

 

 “Will that be ok with your boss?” Jade hesitated.

 

 “Of course!  Friend, don’t worry. Ok? But --- my lunch will be your treat.” Bernadette replied and smiled.

 

 “Alright. My treat.” Jade replied.

 

 “Grrrr…” Jade’s stomach grumbled.

 

“Friend, you skipped meal again? Don’t you have any money with you?” Bernadette  asked.

 

“There. I left you some fried rice and noodles… Eat them all ok? And I shall start now with me beauty rest.” Bernadette added.

 

Jade went to their kitchen and eat.

 

At 8am the next day, Bernadette and Jade woke up. At 9am, after they bathed and took their breakfast, they already decided to go and look for the chicken head. Bernadette went first to the door and opened it. As she opened the door, A huge box wrapped in pink with a white ribbon on top appeared right in front of the door.

 

“Whoa, what a big surprise! What a super early Christmas surprise!!” Bernadette said in amazement.

 

Jade just stood right next to Bernadette and just gave the present a gaze. Bernadette grabbed the small envelope placed on top of the box near the white ribbon. She opened the envelope and read the card inside it.

 

“To its owner, Jade.”  Bernadette oddly looked at Jade and Jade gave Bernadette a puzzled look.

 

Jade grabbed the box and placed it on their dining table. She opened it and saw the chicken head piece.

 

“It’s Crispee!” Bernadette said in excitement while Jade removed it from the box.

 

As Jade removed the head piece, A white envelope appeared at the bottom part of the box.

 

“Hey, there’s another envelop.” Bernadette said in surprise.

 

 Jade put down the heap piece on the chair near her and picked the envelop. She opened it  and saw a ticket saying, Romeo and Juliet ICC Center Stage at 5pm. 

 

“See you. Drink lots of water before you go. S.S. Lim?” Bernadette read aloud.

 

Jade flipped the ticket and saw the message. She read it again…

 

“I think he’s the man who brought you in the hospital last time…and… I forgot to tell you that I didn’t pay for your hospital bill. He did it…” Bernadette said.

 

 “I’m sorry. I also forgot to ask you about that…” Jade replied.

 

“Aren’t you going?” Bernadette asked.

 

 “Where?” Jade replied.

 

“Here!” Bernadette said while holding the theatrical play ticket.

 

”But, I don’t know him…” a long silence invaded the whole scene…

 

“But, I need to pay him for my bill…” Jade added.

 

“Hmmm… Friend, I think you should go and pay him… and to… you know… check if he fits my standards… OUR STANDARDS” Bernadette giggled.

 

“ Haven’t you remembered that I already told you the whole story complete with the best description that I can give last time at the hospital?” Jade replied.

 

“Friend, I quite don’t trust your description of him last time ‘coz you almost passed out. Remember? He might not only be a good looking but a better looking if you see him in your best state of mind.” Bernadette giggled.  

 

Jade replied her with a smile.

 

“Since, we found --- I mean Mr. S.S. Lim  found Crispee, why don’t we celebrate. We should shop, for you to have something to wear!!” Bernadette excitedly said.  

 

It was 4:45 pm when Jade arrived at the ICC.  It was almost a year when she last wore a dress way back when she and Bernadette were invited to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of the Enchanted Park. She was wearing a dark blue (almost black) above the knee cocktail dress together with a black purse and a shawl that complemented with her dress.  Her hair was done so simple by just wearing a simple hair band that shines with the light. When it comes to the shoes, Jade doesn’t like to wear anything that have heels but instead she just wear a pair of dark blue flat doll shoes that go with her outfit.  As she walked her way to the center stage’s door, A young man wearing an Americana approached her…