Chapter 5; An Answer

"Restless Requite" An EXO Kai fic Sequel to "Rightful Regret"

Chapter 5; An Answer

[Gray Italics are thoughts]


The ruined picture was thrown into the fire, the smiling faces never to be seen again.

Vera. Oppa. Jongin. Ana.


        The knock on the door startled her, pulling her back into reality. She quickly and neatly folded the equipment, brushing herself off.
        "Vera ? This is the police. Open up please." The authorities stood patiently outside, Vera's Oppa with them. Frantic, yet calm she smiled happily, beckoning them in.
        "How can I help you?" She fidgeted the knife in her sleeve, clearing .
        "And Oppa! It's been a long time," Vera added, placing a tense hand on her brother's shoulder.
        "Yes. It has...sis." The older sibling lowered his voice as if he were unsure on the word choice.
        "Can you come with us?" The policemen asked, a hand already on the small of her back.
        "I cannot." She mumbled and pulled out the hidden blade.


        "Baek! I have her!" The older brother shouted, Jongin on speaker phone. Kai and Vera's brother were, without Ana's consent of course, retrieving the criminal who had attempted to poison her. The older brother had been stabbed in the arm by his own (step) sister, fresh blood staining his flannel. Driving, he shot a glare at the girl, who was smiling guilty. Better be guilty. You murdered three cops and attempted to get me. Thank god I had a pocket knife too.
        Vera grunted as if she could read her Oppa's thoughts.
        "Do they know I'm your sister?" Her voice muffled by the blood stained handkerchief.
        "No. Idiot." He spat back, ashamed and disgusted for the sibling he used to adore so much. 
        "Are you going to tell them?"
        "Yes. Moron."
        "And have them take me away?... From you?" Vera blinked sadly, trying to win her brother back over.
        "...Yes Vera. Away. From me. And Kai. And Ana." The older sighed, resisting her bewitchment. This was all to expected of Vera, sadly. Even worse, the brother had rather gotten used to it.
-
        "She...she, she tried to poison me? Kill me?" Ana stuttered, in disbelief. The girl Kai had previously been in a relationship with, attempted murder?
        "Uh, yeah." Kai turned to Baek for assistance, the older hyung making a you-were-just-about-to-punch-me-so-I-refuse-to-help-you look.
        "And you hid it from me why?" Ana shook her head, no excuses or reasons clear to her.
        "To protect you." Baekhyun spoke up, giving a you-owe-me look to Jongin.
        "To protect me." Ana scoffed at Kai than at Baek who had replied.
        "Yes. To protect you love." Jongin was at her side in one stride, caressing her cheek. Ana scowled once more, creased brow softening eventually. Arms still crossed, she leaned into his warmth, pulled into her lover's embrace.
        "And now you choose to protect me," Ana shook her head into Kai's chest, referring to their recent and last breakup.
        "Do you know how much you mean to us?" Kai looked to Baek who nodded.
        "To me?" Jongin whispered just enough for Ana to hear.
        "Kai I-"
        "Hello?" Baek interrupted the couple suddenly, eyes darting around the room. Jongin shifted, glaring until he saw Baekhyun's expression. The older brother's mouth gaped open, phone almost clattering onto the spotless floor.
        "They're here." Baekhyun said, bolting for the front door.


        Ana and Jongin sprinted after the older hyung, taking two steps at a time down the endless staircase. They jumped through the numerous corridors, grabbing onto walls for support. Baekhyun three feet ahead of them at all times, reached first and whirled open the door.
        Beautiful, silent, and yet so deadly stood Vera. She waned towards her brother who was holding her captive.
        "How did you tie her up?" Baek asked the older sibling, hinting to Vera's "skills.
        "Gas station pocket knife." And Im her brother. He closed his eyes, acting dumbfounded, still calculating how he beat his assassin sister.
        "Your bleeding." Baek waved the siblings in hurriedly, though stepped as far away from Vera as he could.
        "Oppa." Vera coughed, the handkerchief splattered with blood. The older ignored his sister, pulling on her restraints tighter. Baek, Ana, and Jongin exchanged worried glances. The word "Oppa" sticking out to them.
        "Sorry," Kai apologized to his hyung, for the first time in person. Even more sorry now that he knew just to what extremes his sister would do. Since the hospital they hadn't "conversed" and phone was the only way they spoke since. The older nodded, understanding now that he knew how insane his sister was. 
        "You guys are brother and sister..." Kai and Ana said together, interlocking their fingers. Vera stared at Kai's eyes, then to the clasped hands. She was jealous of the two, and she didn't like it the least bit. She squirmed and got the attention wanted, earning a yank from her brother. She spat out the almost choking harness, scrunching her nose immediately.
        "Yeah duh. Nice to see you again, Ana." Vera smiled, making Kai's girlfriend uncomfortable.
        "Vera." She blinked, momentarily flashing back to their first encounter; Suho's apartment. Her feelings. Vera's "dumbly innocent" act.
       

       

        Ana shuddered, something now disturbing her shoulder. Her pupils shrank and she stared horrified at the sight. A black and purple blade, an uppercase "V" etched on the handle, was now embodied in her. The setting became slow, too slow, like Tao himself had toyed with time again.
        Vera laughed and her restraints become undone. Kai and Baek staggered backward, then grabbing for Vera who was by then almost to the driveway.
        Her brother? Now forgotten in the midst of happenings, he was left with a wounded Ana. The dagger was so close to her heart, she breathed shallowly. In shock, weak, and almost out of breath, she reached for the only person left.
        "Vera...is my stepsister." The Oppa breathed, pulling hurt Ana into his arms "and I am her older brother..."
        "Park Chanyeol."