Flashback

My New Butler

Kyuhyun ran, not daring to look back. It had all been spoken, the truth. When he and Changmin were children, young and foolish, he swore that he would never tell Changmin how he felt. It wasn't good enough, Kyuhyun felt he wasn't good enough. Perhaps it was one of the reasons he didn't go out one day and try to find Changmin once again. So that Changmin could grow, live a good life, and slowly forget him. Let that meaningless person disappear from his mind.

That was all Kyuhyun wanted.

He couldn't believe that he had just spilled out those locked up words slip, and he couldn't believe that Changmin was there to hear them. The shock in Changmin's eyes, the surprise. And what was that other light glowing, pleasure perhaps? Why was Changmin enjoying that fact? Was he happy that he had made the other suffer? Did he enjoy the pitiful sight? Kyuhyun's heart ached, his chest tightening with step.

Kyuhyun finally ran far enough, he never was really one for such activities. With a final thought, before lying against a tree located in who knows where, Kyuhyun muttered words to himself.

"I still love him."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyuhyun sat on the ground, cold and rough. The ice was gently creeping up the ice, the trees and the plants. Winter was here again. Kyuhyun shivered, bringing his knees up to his chest. His shoes had grown much too small for him to wear any longer. His clothes were torn, allowing the icy chill to be felt through his bones. The sky was a mucky grey colour, it was even paler than Kyuhyun. There was no warm Sun, no happy animals and no people passing by who pitied him enough for a couple coins. A meal would have been nice. Anything which was able to be digested was nice.

The younger closed his eyes, waiting. It felt as if death had finally caught up with him. From the corner of his eye, Kyuhyun could see a shadow. Was it Death's? Kyuhyun looked up, eyes widening. There, a boy about the same age stood in front of him, a jacket in his hands. Kyuhyun gave a light glare, what did he want? Was the boy about to mock him for not having a home? Brag about all the common things which Kyuhyun never had in life? Or perhaps, even rob him? Kyuhyun was ready for anything, except for what that boy did.


"...Here." The boy said, placing the jacket over Kyuhyun's shivering figure. He froze, someone was giving him a jacket? Kyuhyun stared up at the other, seeing one of the most pretty pair of eyes he'd ever seen. They were fierce, yet had a somewhat gentle aura. The boy quickly left though, running off to who knows where. Kyuhyun hesitantly moved, slipping his arms into the sleeves of the jacket and holding himself tightly once again, it was so warm. Kyuhyun's gaze softened, it had been so long since he had been shown kindness.

Kyuhyun didn't expect much, he didn't think that he would be receiving anything else. After all, what the boy had done for him was nice enough. So, when the young boy came by again that same day, offering him food, Kyuhyun wasn't able to show how happy he was.

"...Thank you." Kyuhyun mumbled, vocal chords a little hoarse. The other boy smiled, giving a quick wave before retreating. 

----------------------------------------
---------------------------------

"Hi." The boy said. Kyuhyun looked up, eyes widening. He was still clad in the other boy's jacket, warm and cozy. Although Kyuhyun was not to talk to people, to trust people that easily, the boy had done more than enough to gain Kyuhyun's favour.

"...You're that boy from yesterday." Kyuhyun whispered, giving a gentle gaze. The other smiled at him, taking a seat on the ground in front of Kyuhyun.

"I'm glad you remember me." The boy said, Kyuhyun bowed his head. He may have been homeless, but he still had manners.

"Thanks." Kyuhyun spoke once again, this time, a little louder than before. The boy gave a curious look, causing Kyuhyun to become a little startled.

"For?" The boy asked, Kyuhyun gave a twisted look.

"For giving me your jacket, and some food. I've been starving." Kyuhyun replied, not joking when he used the word 'starving'. The other thought, before giving an accepting look.

"No problem." The other said, Kyuhyun stared.

"I assume you're here for your jacket." Kyuhyun then stated, seeing that the boy was without a layer over his clothes. Just as Kyuhyun began to remove the jacket, the other shook his head.

"No, you can keep it." The boy said, Kyuhyun's eyes widened.

"...Really?" Kyuhyun asked, the other laughed.

"Yeah, I kind of just wanted to talk to you. I don't need my jacket back."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------


"Yah!" Someone called, Kyuhyun groaned. The Sun was shining on his body, warming himself up. Kyuhyun turned to his side, seeing his best friend, Shim Changmin, standing in front of him.

"What...? Changmin, I was sleeping..." Kyuhyun mumbled, laying on the park bench. For the last year or so, Kyuhyun had been wearing many of Changmin's old clothes. They were in good condition, warm, and soft.

"It's not the best place to sleep." Changmin stated bluntly, Kyuhyun scoffed at the other's words.

"Idiot, I have nowhere else." Kyuhyun quickly snapped back, waiting for Changmin's retort. They usually spoke like this. Changmin stared, biting his tongue to stop one of his comments  and say something else.
 
"I know, you want to come to my house?" Changmin asked, causing Kyuhyun's eyes to widen. He sat up.

"...Your house?" Kyuhyun asked, an emotion of hope, hesitance and fear mixed into one.

"Yeah, why not?" Changmin questioned.

"...Your parents don't like me, remember? They keep on telling you not to hang out with me..." Kyuhyun muttered, recalling his memory of when Changmin's parents found out that the two spent time together. Changmin shook his head.

"Don't worry, I'll sneak you in. It's easy, they're working now anyway. Let's go." Changmin said, voice comforting the elder.

"..." Kyuhyun went silent, thinking of the pros and cons.

"Kyuhyunnie, don't worry." Changmin muttered, taking Kyuhyun by the hand and attempting to pull him off the bench. Kyuhyun breathed heavily.

"...Promise that I won't get caught?" Kyuhyun asked, Changmin nodded as he stared into Kyuhyun's eyes.

"I promise that I won't let anything happen to you." Changmin said, those words simply melted in Kyuhyun's heart.

It was enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------


"Changmin?" Kyuhyun muttered, lying in the living room of Changmin's house. It wasn't big, nor was it small. Changmin's parents were off at their jobs, while his younger sisters were doing who knows what. It had been more than 3 years since Changmin began regularly sneaking Kyuhyun into the house. And surprisingly, they were never caught, not even once.

"Hm?" Changmin asked, eyes closed and sitting across from Kyuhyun. He was simply enjoying a snack, many little snacks.

"You won't leave me, right?" Kyuhyun asked suddenly, causing Changmin to gave a confused and twisted expression. Kyuhyun simply stared back, waiting for a response. Doubt had come to take place in the other's mind.

"Why would I?" Changmin asked with a slight tone of annoyance, Kyuhyun stifled the surprise.
 
"...I don't know, because I'm really nobody. No one cares about me, no one knows that I'm even alive." Kyuhyun replied, giving the whole situation a depressing mood. Changmin scowled at the other.

"I know you're alive, I know who you are, and I care. Aren't I enough?" Changmin questioned, causing Kyuhyun to stare in shock. Slowly, a smile crawled up to Kyuhyun's lips. He nodded.

"Hm, I guess."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That day, the day which everything went wrong, Kyuhyun didn't remember clearly what happened. Perhaps it was because he hated the memory so much, he locked it away.

"
...Kyuhyun." Changmin called, the sound of Kyuhyun's name was spoken differently from usual. Kyuhyun was at his usual area, the park which he had spent most his nights in.

"Oh, Changmin-ah, you're here." Kyuhyun said happily, ignoring Changmin's tone of voice for just a second. From the look in Changmin's eyes, something was going on.

"...Yeah." Changmin said, that was all. Kyuhyun raised a brow.

"Is... something wrong?" Kyuhyun asked, Changmin's eyes turned cold. They became glazed over, an emotion of hate, an emotion Kyuhyun was shocked to see, became visible.

"Yes, something is wrong." Changmin muttered, Kyuhyun felt hsi body tense.

"What?" Kyuhyun asked.

"You. I just realised how much of a waste of time you are. I've just realised that spending time with you is pointless, I regret every second. You should have just died long ago." Changmin spoke, his word perfectly clear. Kyuhyun's eyes widened, with those words. The elder stared before smiling. He was not going to allow himself to show such pathetic emotions.

"...I'm glad to see that you're not lying to yourself anymore. I know that it's pointless spending time with me, I know I should have died long ago. But it's your fault anyway. You didn't have to slow down the process by giving me your jacket that day, I could have just stayed in the cold and froze to death. You didn't have to become my friend either, or were we even friends in the first place? Were you trying to give me the most painful way of dying? To give me hope that actually someone cared, and reveal that it was all a lie? That those times meant nothing?" Kyuhyun asked, standing up from the bench. He felt fragile, as if his body was going to collapse on itself. But Changmin wouldn't have known that, he wasn't going to let Changmin know that.

"..." Changmin simply stared, was he shocked at Kyuhyun's reaction? The other felt his chest tightening, heart racing, but didn't show any of it.

"Well, if that was what you were trying to do, then good job. You've succeeded in breaking my heart." Kyuhyun said in a mockingly happy tone. Changmin opened his mouth.

"I-" Changmin was cut off.

"Don't worry. I'm used to it. You're not the only one to have left me. Remember, my parents dropped me off here and never came back, remember? You can go now, live life as you please. Don't let extra baggage like me pull you back." Kyuhyun said, giving Changmin one last smile before walking off. He wasn't going to let Changmin know that he was hurt, Changmin's words were correct. Kyuhyun knew it, everybody did. To send the person you care about away with a smile, only some people were able to do that. Kyuhyun bit his lip, eyes becoming blurry.

He couldn't really remember too much after that.

--------------------------------------------------------------


Kyuhyun quickly stood up, he had rested for a couple minutes, recalling all those memories which he had held precious. If only they'd disappear. Kyuhyun's eyes widened as he turned, quickly continuing on his journey to escape the past.

"Kyuhyun, wait!"

--------------------------------------------------

Hm, sorry about the late update~ I've got so much to do. Tutoring homework tomorrow, Chinese school after that, then it's onto my flute lessons then a presentation at school... I'll make it through, somehow... Enjoy it?~ ^^