Details

My New Butler

"So, tell me more about this life you've had." Heechul started, glancing over at Kyuhyun who had still seemed to be fascinated by a mere seatbelt. Though, the younger quickly broke from his bubble and turned to the elder.

Kyuhyun spoke, "Well, prior from the age eleven, the life was rather normal. I had parents and an older sister. I don't really remember what happened, but I guess that my family had some sort of debt and couldn't pay it off. Which is odd, since my family was pretty wealthy. We were on the run, now that I think about it, since we never really stayed in just one place. I suppose that one day they realised there wasn't enough money for two children, and decided to leave me."

Heechul hummed, he had heard worse. Children being killed, sold or kidnapped; it seemed like leaving Kyuhyun was probably more for his safety than anything else, but Heechul wasn't going to say it aloud, because if he were incorrect, Kyuhyun would have been filled with false hope. And that was, Heechul knew, something very disgusting. "What'd you do from there?"

"I was found and placed in foster care. Though, I didn't go through the best families. Some were nice at the very least, but didn't really like me. Others just hated me and didn't pay attention. So I moved around a lot; running away and being caught. Finally it happened enough that they didn't care for me, and I lived on benches and in churches. Somewhere along this line, I met Changmin. He was a really nice person, my best friend. But then one day he tossed me aside, and I guess I should have expected it. I took so much without ever giving him anything. I milked all his love until there was nothing but hate." 

Heechul disliked how fondly Kyuhyun talked of Changmin, despite everything. But he wasn't going to bring it up now.

"How'd you end up on my dad's list of butlers?"

Kyuhyun's eyes shot up to the ceiling, "Well, at the church there was a man who suggested it. Siwon? Yeah, he said that it would be good for me."

Heechul's eyes widened. "...Choi Siwon?"

The butler gave a simple nod, just as innocent and simple as anything else. "Yes, why?"

"...Nothing. He's just this guy who I knew in school, and he always pestered me about going church. Annoying." Heechul stated, rubbing him temples at the mere thought of Siwon's enthusiastic expression in his mind.

Kyuhyun only smiled and laughed, "Yeah, he does that a lot."

Heechul nodded, "So, do you have any other friends?"

"Well... I slept on a bench in a park, where a lot of people would come at night. They'd just hang out there, but soon enough they recognised me too. They felt sorry for me and let me stay a couple nights in their homes. Hyukjae and Sungmin was it?" Kyuhyun asked himself. And vaguely, Heechul could vaguely remember both those names but he couldn't find a face to attach them to.

"Hard life?" Heechul asked.

"I wouldn't say hard. It was painful, and stressing, and I was hungry at times to the point of fainting, but it wasn't hard. Compared to other people, this life is simple."

"I guess-"

Kyuhyun couldn't be stopped, cutting off Heechul though the elder luckily did not mind. Kyuhyun asked, "Master, what about you? What life did you have?" 

Heechul thought, "I grew up with my parents who worked and friends. I didn't like a couple of them, but some others were awesome. Easy life, went to school, worked, ran away from home during the holidays... that kind of stuff."

"Why did you work? Where? How?" Kyuhyun had so many questions.

"Just at this factory putting together televisions. I guess it was just my way of gaining independence from my parents. Everybody at the company agreed that despite being crazy, I was a good worker." Heechul muttered in a somewhat proud way.

Kyuhyun continued, "What do you do now?"

He shrugged, "Nothing much. My goal in life was too be rich, and since I've reached it, I kind of just fool around now."

"Job?" Kyuhyun asked.

"People send me orders for my mother's clothing, to which I then organise and file and so on."

"Sounds boring." The butler said.

Heechul nodded. "It is. But it's simple enough, and I get paid."

"You should live for emotions, rather than material possessions."

To this, Heechul gave a light smile. Kyuhyun wasn't really sure what it meant, his master then continuing on, "One day."

Suddenly, a thought popped into Kyuhyun's mind.

"Hey Master, what else does a butler do?"

Heechul turned his head in both amusement and disbelief, a soft sigh escaping his lips;

"You've got a long way to go."