Day 3: Youngjae

Five Days of Winter

Day 3:

  I wake up early in the morning for no apparent reason. I kept thinking about yesterday especially about what my dad was saying to me during dinner. What was wrong with hanging out with a friend?

  I get up and walk to my window, my eyes immediately falling upon Daehyun’s house. I wonder if he’s home. I’m thinking of taking him somewhere again even though he said he doesn’t want to see me. I mean, he must’ve forgotten about it, right?

  I stare at the house for a long time before deciding to get ready to see him. I wear comfortable clothes and head downstairs where I find my dad at the breakfast table reading the newspaper. I notice he didn’t have anything on the table, so I ask, “Are you hungry, Dad?”

  He looks up for a moment before going back to reading his newspaper.

  I bit my lip. I wonder if that was a yes or no, so I continue. “Would you like to eat eggs and bacon or pancakes? Or maybe you just want coffee?”

  Again he looks up and back down.

  I sigh. I guess there’s no hope for me to deepen our relationship. He always ignores me this way, and I just can’t understand. I turn to get myself breakfast when I suddenly hear him.

  “You’re not thinking of going to your friend, are you?”

  I pause. Why doesn’t he want me to see Daehyun? He’s not a threat! He’s just a friend. “Not yet,” I mutter.

  “You’ve been hanging with him for the past two days, and I haven’t seen you do anything responsible so far.”

  What does he mean? Is it because I dropped those vegetables a while back? Or is it because I didn’t help him fix the A/C when it stopped working? I didn’t do that many things wrong!

  I hold my tongue and walk off.

  From behind me, I hear the chair skid and fall. I turn around just in time to get slapped on the face. I was caught off guard as I didn’t expect this to happen. Why? Why did he just hit me?

  My face was stinging as the tears wouldn’t stop flowing. “What did I do to you?” I screech. My fist tightens and my body trembles. Oh, you have no idea how much I wanted to hit him right now, but I restrain myself from doing so.

  My dad glares. “How dare you disrespect me like this?” He yells back.

  Disrespect? He was the one who’s been insulting me all my life! He’s the one who wouldn’t answer me when I was just asking what he wanted to eat! He’s the one who wouldn’t allow me to meet one of the first people who I can truly call my friend! I don’t understand this at all! “Why do you think?”

  This must’ve pulled a trigger because before I could do anything my dad punches me on the cheek. It wasn’t hard for it to swell, but it sure hurt as hell.

  I stand there for a moment. I couldn’t stand this. I just want to leave. I just want to see Daehyun again, but not now. I can’t while these tears wouldn’t stop. “I hate you!” I shout and run back to my room. Slamming the door behind me, I lock it and jump on my bed, burying my head into a pillow and crying my eyes out. Why is this happening to me?

♦♦♦

  I didn’t realize I fell asleep until I wake up late in the afternoon. I get up. For a moment, I forgot all about the fight my dad and I had, but as I look out the window, my eyes immediately fall on Daehyun. He was standing in his driveway, looking at my house.

  I wanted to open my window and call out to him but he starts walking without another glance.

  I look down at our driveway and didn’t find my dad’s car. He must’ve gone to work. I didn’t want to stay in this house while everyone was gone, so I decide to follow Daehyun. I quickly dress up and rush outside. I didn’t care how slippery the sidewalks were, but I run as quickly as I could.

  I see him up in the distance at the park. Just when I was about to call out to him, I see a different person near him. He was talking to Daehyun and Daehyun didn’t seem to shoo him away like he does to me.

  I feel a pang in my heart, but I shake it off. I decide to just follow silently behind them. I watch as they just walk in silence before that boy walks away. Daehyun didn’t seem to care and continues walking.

  I wonder where he’s going.

  I stalk him silently, watching his every move. He didn’t do anything strange. Well, actually he didn’t do anything at all! He just walks and nothing else. I want to leave him, but I didn’t want to go home and do nothing especially since no one is home. That’s just too boring.

  When I finally tear my gaze away from Daehyun, I realize where he was heading. I know the path so well, that I didn’t even need to follow him. I know he’s going to the fountain, but why?

  I look back at him and find him sitting at the bench, eyes scanning the place as if he was looking for someone. Was he expecting to meet with someone? Why? And who specifically? Not to be mean or anything, but I don’t remember him having any other friends other than me.

  Just when I was about to head back home, disappointed at my find, I receive a text from my dad.

  Where are you? I hope you’re not with that boy again.

  Tears fill my eyes suddenly. Why does he resent Daehyun so much? What did he do? Dad doesn’t even know him like I do! Sure I’ve only met him for a few days, but it feels as if I’ve known him longer than that.

 Just as I notice Daehyun getting up, I suddenly tackle him and squeeze him tight. I didn’t want to lose someone like him and yet I was losing one of the most important person in my life.

  For a moment I bury my face into his chest and feel a light hand patting my back. Looking into his eyes, I say between sobs, “I-I don’t understand. N-no matter wh-what I do, I can’t seem to impress him.” I tighten my grip onto his jacket and bury my head into his chest. It was so warm and comforting, but it didn’t help stop my tears.

  I lift my head once more. His eyes. They were so beautiful to me while they may seem normal to others. I just don’t want to leave someone like him. I don’t want my dad to tell me I can’t meet him.

  Another tear rolls down my cheek and I feel him wipe it away with his thumb. I’m so captivated by his gaze, I never realize I was leaning closer and closer towards him that was until I realize I was about to kiss a boy! I never really thought of myself being gay, but why do I feel so attracted to him?

  I push him away and sit stiffly on the bench. I sniffle and force a shaky smile before saying, “I’m sorry. I-I didn’t mean to tackle you like that.” I bite my lip, bow my head, and fiddle with my fingers. “I actually didn’t expect you to be here.” That was such a lie. Of course I knew he was here since I followed him! “But I’m glad you are.” That, I know for a fact, was the truth.” I look up and force another smile, still feeling my lips trembling.

  I’m sure I have time before my parents get home. I really don’t want to go if my mom isn’t there, so I should stall a bit. “Let’s go somewhere.”

  He blinks a couple of times before nodding his head.

  I stand and hold out a hand.

  Daehyun stares at it for a moment before meeting my gaze.

  I guess he won’t take it. I pull my hand away and start walking.

  I didn’t realize I was walking in circles in the city until Daehyun taps my shoulder and sign languages, Want to go to the café?

  “Sure.” I would go anywhere other than my house.

  Daehyun walks ahead of me.

  I trail behind sluggishly with my head bowed. I didn’t pay attention to anything causing me to bump into him. I stare at him and notice his cheeks flaring while his eyes shift to the side. He holds out a hand.

  I smile faintly to myself and wrap my hand around his and squeeze. I’m glad I met someone like him.

  We reach the café and I hear Himchan’s voice, “Table to two again?”

  I raise my head and see him staring at our entwined hands. I didn’t want to let go, but I’m sure I have to sometime.

  As Himchan leads us to our table, I let go of his hand. Daehyun glances at me and reverts his gaze back to Himchan who was now bowing to us, indicating the booth was our table.

  I sit in front of Daehyun as Himchan places the menus on our table. I hand it back to him. “I’m not getting anything.”

  Daehyun’s eyes grow wide and shakes his head. You need to eat.

  I shake my head. “I’m not hungry.” I insist Himchan to take the menu and he reluctantly does.

  He turns to Daehyun. “Are you getting your usual? I don’t mind if you don’t since it’s not busy today. You can stay here all you want, in fact.”

  Daehyun nods and Himchan leaves.

  I became deep in thought. I wonder if my dad will be mad for leaving the house without his permission. I wonder if he’ll even speak to me after our argument. I wonder if he’ll yell at me even with my mom around. I wonder…

  I raise my head and find Daehyun’s face near mine. I lean back and whisper, “What is it?”

  What happened?

  I knew he was going to ask that some time. I just didn’t want him to. “It’s nothing to worry about.”

  Are you afraid of something?

  More like someone.

  Please tell me.

  I don’t want you dragged into this.

  He leans closer. What’s wrong?

  I can’t tell him. I don’t want him to worry about me. I look up at him. “I think I should leave. I-” I was ready to leave but Himchan comes back with the order and sets it down in front of us.

  “Enjoy.”

  I couldn’t even look at Himchan as he was doing those things. I didn’t want to look at anyone. I’m just worried that my dad would scold me and I didn’t want that to happen in front of my mom. I didn’t want her to be troubled because we’re fighting. But the thing I’m wondering the most is why my dad is so against Daehyun? I just don’t understand. I need to speak to him right away. I lift my head, seeing something I wasn’t expecting to see.

  Daehyun had his mask off, revealing his plump lips and burning cheeks. My, he was so handsome without the mask. My heart skips a beat and I could feel my whole body turning hot. Who knew he was this handsome? I turn my head away from him. Why am I feeling this way towards him? Don’t tell me I fell in love with him now that I know he’s this god looking guy under the mask. No, that wouldn’t be right. I have to go back to my dad and clear things up. I need to know why I can’t see Daehyun. “I should really go. I’ll see you later.”

  I didn’t check if he was trying to tell me something and rush out the café. I hear Himchan calling out to me, but I ignore him, heading straight home with one thing on my mind.

  As I near my home, I find both of my parents’ car parked in the driveway. Good, they’re both home. At least I know that my mom will be there to calm him if things get out of hand.

  I open the door and heard something crash in the kitchen. It sounded like a glass cup. I rush where the sound was, but stop right by the doorway as I hear my parents screaming at each other.

  “I’m trying to straighten him up!” My dad yells at my mom.

  “Enough Jagiya! He’s your son and you shouldn’t be treating him that way!” My mom counters.

  “He is not my son!”

  “Wh-what do you mean?” Her voice was trembling at this point.

  “You don’t think I know? I know you had an affair with our neighbor seventeen years ago. Don’t lie to me.”

  My heart skips a beat. What are they talking about?

 “Youngjae is your son!”

  “He is not my son by my blood. He’s the son of that damn Daehyun’s father’s blood! I know you two did it while I was off on a business trip.”

  “Enough! Youngjae is your son.”

  I didn’t want to hear anymore and slowly retreated from the doorway. Wait, my mom had an affair with Daehyun’s father? No, that can’t be right! That can’t be the reason why my dad despises Daehyun so much. That can’t be the reason. I can’t even imagine my mom cheating on my dad. No, this can’t be happening!

  Without anyone noticing, I run upstairs to my room. I slam the door, not caring if anyone heard me, and lock the door. What I heard can’t be true. My mom would never do that. Never.