Introduction: Five Days of Winter

Five Days of Winter

Daehyun

  Day 0:

  I’m sitting by my window, looking out towards the streets. It was winter break and I didn’t know what to do for the time being. I mean, it’s snowing and I’m sure the streets are icy enough to cause people to slip.

  Oh look. I just saw someone fall.

  I watch as this boy about my age tries getting up, but fails, continuing to fall flat on his . I observe the boy closely and realize who it was. I remember him as Yoo Youngjae: the boy in my class, the boy who plays jokes on everyone he comes in contacts with, the boy who isn’t afraid to talk.

  I never realize he was my neighbor until I saw him standing up straight (finally) and going inside the house in front of my aunt’s. I knew that house was bought a year ago, but I never saw anyone go in or out of that house. However, my aunt said otherwise. She told me there was a family in there but they’re always busy so they rarely go outside of the house.

  I’m guessing Youngjae had to buy some groceries since some of them were left on the ground where he fell. I wonder if he’ll pick that up.

  Sure enough, he comes back outside with his dad right behind him – probably scolding him for dropping them – and picks them up. He looks up and made eye contact with me.

  I immediately retreat from the window and walk to my room, stuffing my hands in my pocket. I sit on my bed and heave a deep sigh. I would never want to be caught up with him. He’s just going to talk to me nonstop without me answering and he can’t get angry about it.

  This time, I look out my bedroom window and find it empty in front of me except for the snowflakes that were falling from the sky. I sigh. Well this will be a boring day.

  “Daehyun?” My aunt knocks on my door.

  I just stare at the closed door and wait for her to enter. As long as my room isn’t locked, anyone can come in at any time.

  She enters with a bright smile on her face. “Are you hungry? Dinner is ready.”

  I continue to stare and heave another sigh. I’m not hungry, I say in my sign language. My aunt learned sign language from my teacher, knowing I wouldn’t speak to her or anyone else.

  A frown appears on her face. “Come down whenever you’re ready,” she says gloomily and leaves my room.

  I flop on my bed, staring at the ceiling. It’s cold outside, but warm inside. I close my eyes wanting to sleep and dream of a world better than this. I want to dream of a place where my parents were alive and where no one could give a care about my existence. To me, that’s heaven. I didn’t like the fact how everyone was giving me pity and say I need time to recover. I don’t need time to recover; I need time to be alone.

  I don’t know when I would fall asleep. However, I do know when I do, I never want to wake up ever again.

Youngjae

  Day 0:

  "Oh my- AH!” I fall on the icy driveway once again, causing all the things and food I bought for dinner to drop out of the bag. I scratch my head and begin picking up all I see before trying to get up again. Finally, I’m able to get up and actually walk back inside the house where it’s cozy and warm. I love the snow, but the weather is too cold for my taste.

  I enter the living room where my dad was reading his daily newspaper. Upon hearing my footsteps, he looks up and sees what I had in my hand. “Did you buy everything I needed?” He asks with a voice as cold as the weather.

  I nod and bow. “I did.” I start taking out all the things I bought and say what they were, but then I knew I was missing some when I couldn’t find them. “Uhm…” I scratch the back of my head. “I-I’m sure I bought everything…”

  His eyes grow dark. “We don’t have time to waste.”

  A sudden idea hit me. “It must’ve fallen out when I fell!”

  My dad’s face burns red from rage, but his voice was calm yet stern, “Where did you fall?”

  “O-outside…”

  “Get it.”

  I bow and head outside with my dad behind me. Sure enough, I find the rest of the groceries on our driveway in the cold. I gulp, knowing my dad would scold me for this. I pick them up while hearing my dad yelling at me, but I shut him out. I’m sure there’s more when I come back inside.

  As I gather all the vegetables, I had a feeling that someone was watching me. Out of instincts, I look up and find someone watching me out the window. The moment we met eyes, he backs up panicky and disappears from my view. Even from that short meeting, I knew who that was.

  It was Jung Daehyun. He was that quiet boy in my class that no one really talks to, but when they do, all I hear is absolute nothing. Some people have told me he’s traumatized after his parents’ death, causing him not wanting to speak to anyone. I kind of believe it, but why not talk? What’s wrong with not talking? I talk all the time and I’m fine!

  Once I finish picking everything up, I head back inside as my dad let me pass through. I was ready for a punishment, but it never came. Instead, I see him silently stride to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

  It scares me more to see him quiet instead of yelling at me. I don’t know why, but I have a feeling there’s something worse coming up for me or the snow actually calmed him. I hope the second suggestion was correct.

  Without him knowing, I slip to my room and lay on my bed. I begin to wonder what Daehyun is like. I mean, I always see him, but I never got to know him! I close my eyes and thought about speaking to him when I get the chance. I know he can talk! People have told me he spoke in elementary school, but stopped afterwards! I wonder what his voice sounds like. After all, guys do hit that puberty stage around middle school.

  As my mind began to drift, I hear my mom coming in with a greeting, “I’m home!” I love my mom. She was the happiest woman I have ever met, and the strangest thing is, she even passes it to my dad who I never see smile around me. I always see him frowning rather than smiling. I don’t even know what I did wrong! I’ve always obeyed him and do everything I can to the best of my abilities, but he never acknowledge me the same way he does with my mom.

  I head to the living room and find my parents smiling and hugging each other. I just wish my dad would at least give me a pat on the back when I come home.

  “It’s so cold! I don’t think I can go to work tomorrow!” My mom exclaims.

  My dad just smiles and shakes his head.

  I stand there and greet, “Hello, Mom!” I hug her tightly and smelled her perfume which I thought was too strong for my taste, but my dad likes it.

  She returns the hug. “Hello, Youngjae. What have you been up to this whole day?”

  I look at my dad who was just staring at me with his dark eyes. I look back at my mom. “I bought some groceries since Dad wants to cook today.”

  My mom turns to my dad. “Do you need help?”

  His eyes shift to my mom, “No, Youngjae can help me. You go ahead and rest because you have another long day.”

  I drop my gaze as he meets my eyes. I have to help him? Why?

  She hesitates, but decides to agree with his terms. “Okay, I’ll be taking a nap.” She walks away from us and heads to the bedroom.

  Now, I’m alone with my dad once again and I don’t know what to say. “Wh-What do you need help on?” I ask, stuttering from nerves.

  “Come with me,” he says bitterly and walks to the kitchen.

  I follow him.