Day 2: Daehyun

Five Days of Winter

  Day 2:

  I really don’t understand what the problem is with Youngjae. He’s so persistent and annoying! I don’t understand how he doesn’t run out of things to say. If I spoke to someone (which I doubt I would), I would know when to stop. After all, people do have short attention span nowadays.

  I’m lying down on my bed, reading a book for school since we would have a test over it when we get back and I don’t want to fail it, and suddenly, I hear a splat on my window. I jump and close my book to find snow covering the glass.

  Then comes another chunk of snow being thrown to my window. I take my mask and put it on my face. I rush towards my window and open it to find Youngjae getting another pile of snow and pressing it together to become a snowball. He was ready to throw it, but he stops as he sees me.

  He smiles brightly up at me. “Hey!”

  I glare at him. What the hell is he doing at this time? Why is he throwing snowballs on my window? What do you want?

  His idiot smile comes back. “I just want to talk to you!”

  Like I would talk to you! Why?

  “Why not? I want to talk to you! I mean, can’t a person have a decent conversation with each other? Why don’t you come down here and we can walk around and talk a bit!”

  There was no need for me to think about my answer. No.

  Youngjae pouts with his puffy lips and crosses his arms like a little child. “Don’t be such a brat!”

  Me being a brat? Ha! He definitely got that one wrong! I mean, look at him! Who actually does that nowadays for his age? This is why I don’t want to be caught up with a guy like him. He’s just going to cause so much trouble. Give me a better reason why I should go down there and talk to you?

  “Uhm…” He looks down at the pile of snow on the ground. “If you don’t,” he picks up a handful of snow, “I’ll throw this at you.”

  I didn’t really care, so I sarcastically raise my hands, and then sign language, Oh! Scary! I glare him. That won’t make me go down. I should just walk away right now and everything will be settled.

  I end up doing it and hear Youngjae shouting, “Just for now! I don’t want to stay home! It’s so boring there and… And…” His voice trails.

  My back was facing the window as I’m thinking about what he’s saying. I spin around and go back to the window. Will you leave me alone after this?

  His eyes widen and his smile comes back. “So you’re going to come down?”

  Only if you say yes.

  He nods his head vigorously and starts jumping up and down.

  I really don’t know what this kid’s problem is, but surprisingly, someone like him has so many friends. People are very strange now. Before I went downstairs, I dress into comfortable clothes while wearing my mask and step out without my aunt knowing. I don’t always tell her where I go since I don’t cause much trouble.

  I open the front door finding Youngjae crouching in front of a pile of snow he must have created earlier. He adds more snow before realizing I’m standing next to him. He jumps up with that idiot smile and holds out a hand, “Well, good afternoon, Daehyun! It’s nice to meet you again!”

  I just stare at his hands, not even thinking of giving him a handshake or whatever he wanted. I just simply sign language, Where are we going?

  “You’ll see.”

  I roll my eyes. Whatever. Anyways, after today, I’m not going to come in contact with him ever again, so I guess it’s fine to go with whatever he has to offer.

  “First, before we leave, I need to make sure that you’re fine with what you’re wearing right now.” Youngjae points at my clothes which were thinner than the first time.

  Why?

  “Because we’re not going to any place that’s warm. I have a surprise for you and I’m sure you’ll like it.” He grins, adding his little eye smile to it.

  I really don’t understand this kid. We’ve only met for a day and he’s already talking to me like a familiar. What’s up with him? Does he not understand that certain people don’t want to friend someone like him? I’m fine with these clothes, I answer him.

  He looks at me funny. “Oh… O-okay… Let’s go then!” He grabs my arm and starts dragging me down the sidewalk.

  I could have jerked away from his grasp, but I didn’t because I was thinking that he would just grab onto me.

  We were like that all the way to his destination. I didn’t pay attention to my surrounding – all I was paying attention to was Youngjae’s hand wrapped around my wrist. What’s with this guy? I really don’t understand him! Usually people get the message that I don’t want to speak or interact with them, but not this guy! This guy is persistent enough to continually get on my nerves.

  “We’re here!” He suddenly exclaims as he stops in front of the entrance to the park.

  I tilt my head. Why here? I’ve always gone here and there’s nothing special to do in the park. This guy is strange indeed.

  “Okay! Now close your eyes and I’ll guide you!” Youngjae covers my eyes with his hand and grabs my arm once more, taking me slowly to wherever he had planned.

  I walk very slowly, making sure I don’t trip on anything. There’s no way I want to trip with that boy ever again! I don’t know how long we were walking but it seemed pretty far. I was getting impatient and it was all over my face, but he couldn’t see it since he’s covering the top half while my mask was covering the bottom half.

  Suddenly, we stop and his hands leave my eyes. I blink a little, adjusting my eyes to the bright light. Apparently, the snow made everything seem brighter except for the gray sky. When my vision cleared, I find myself standing in front of the fountain – the same fountain that every couple goes to at least once in their date. But now, why would Youngjae take me here? I give him a confused look.

  He silently grins. “This is my favorite place in the area. This was actually the first place I went to when I moved here.” His eyes shift to the turned off fountain because of the weather. “Too bad there’s no water, but I would usually toss a coin and make a wish.” Youngjae pauses as he began thinking about something that I do not know.

  I clear my throat, grabbing his attention. You think like a child. I simply state. Wishes never come true just by tossing a coin in a fountain. You have to make it happen; not wait and see if it will happen.

  He pouts. “It doesn’t hurt believing! I mean, someday you’ll understand that it’s best to act like a kid once in a while. It doesn’t hurt thinking that good things will come after the bad. Sometimes I even wish I could just sleep endlessly being stuck in my own dreams.” He chews on his lips as his eyes were getting watery.

  I’m shocked. I wasn’t expecting someone like him to tear up all of a sudden. I don’t even know why he was crying but it amazes me. So even someone like him can feel pain. I turn away from him as the memory of my parents start coming back. Don’t cry. You look ugly when you do. I look at him and sure enough, he did look ugly. His face was twisted as a frown appears on his face.

  Youngjae sniffles and wipes away his tears. He takes a deep breath and stomps his foot. “I’m not here to cry! I’m here to show you something! The fountain is just the beginning because I brought you here to hear me sing!”

  I tilt my head. Sing? Why does he want me to hear him sing?

  “I know, I know. It’s weird that I’m going to sing to you, but I just want your opinion on my singing because I know you’re going to be honest.”

  I sure am.

  “And I feel like it.” He smiles once more. His head shifts from side to side before he closes his eyes and start singing.

  His voice was a bit raspy at first, but as his voice warmed up, it became soft and melodic. Youngjae was singing a slow song that I did not know, so I had no idea how long he was going to sing. However, the weird thing was, I didn’t care. I actually wanted to hear him sing more. I begin to blush as I clearly see in his face how much he enjoys singing. I used to have that expression in the past before my parents died, but all that went away as I thought there was no need for a voice.

  But when he was done singing, I look away.

  “So, what do you think?!” He asks so excitedly.

  I made a face. It’s okay… A lie. I actually really like it, but I just won’t admit it. I’m afraid that he’ll start talking to me after this day if I say it’s really good. I feel like he’ll come back to me to sing some more. I kind of want that, but I don’t want him near me.

   Youngjae pouts. “Really? Then what do I need to change?”

  Nothing. Nothing at all. Your voice is raspy.

  He sighs. “Well, I didn’t do my vocal warm ups anyways, and I haven’t been singing for a while.”

  I roll my eyes. Do I really need to know that? I mean, all he has to say is, “Okay, I’ll try fixing it,” but no, he adds in an explanation.

  “Anyways, how about you try singing? I know you don’t like talking, but maybe you’ll like singing! They’re two different things, so I’m sure you can do that for me.”

  They’re the same difference. It still requires my voice.

  He pouts like a little kid and places his hands on his hips. “That’s not fair! I’m sure your aunt hears your voice every day! What’s wrong with other people listening to you! I’m sure you have a great voice, but you’re just too stubborn to not show it!”

  Me stubborn? I think you got that wrong and in fact, not even my aunt knows how I sound like. She hasn’t heard me speak in over ten years! I don’t think she even remembers what my voice was like. Plus, I hit puberty, so I’m sure it sounds way different from ten years ago.

  “So you haven’t heard your own voice either?!” Youngjae seems so amused by that idea for some reason.

  I face palm myself and shake my head. This kid is truly an idiot. Of course I know what my own voice sounds like! I practically speak to myself in my head. I know for sure what my voice is like! Aish! Just drop it! I don’t want to talk about it.

  He bits his lip. “Do you think you can hang out with me for a while?”

  I stare at him. He seems helpless and I didn’t know why. The way his eyes stare at me were showing pure innocence as his body begins to sink. Huh, what was this sudden mood change? I sigh and nod my head. Okay. I’ll follow you.

  He smiles and grabs my arm for the third time.

  I don’t know why, but this time I start blushing hard, even the cold was no longer felt in my cheeks. But this time, I actually jerk away.

  Youngjae tilts his head in confusion.

  I clear my throat. There’s no need for you to hold my arm.

  He shrugs. “Oh, okay. Sorry. Anyways, how about I take you around the park?”

  I don’t care.

  “Okay! Let’s go on the playground!”

  Playground? Why? Aren’t we too old for that?

  “You’re never too old to do certain things! It doesn’t hurt being a kid once in a while, Daehyun! It’s not like there’s going to be a lot of kids out! It’s too cold for them and I’m sure their parents wouldn’t want them to play around other than having snowball fights with friends! C’mon before there actually is a lot of kids.” This time, Youngjae didn’t take my arm and start running to the direction of the park.

  I heave a deep sigh and follow right behind him…

  I don’t even want to talk about what was going on during the park. I didn’t like it. Not only that, but I was embarrassed to be with Youngjae, so I don’t want that even to be stuck in my head. I will continue after the park.

  As Youngjae was walking me home, he was smiling like an idiot. (Of course he would because I bet he had fun earlier unlike me). Strangely enough, he wasn’t talking to me which felt weird.

  I stare at him. Why does he stop talking now when I feel like scolding him for acting like a child at the park!

  “What are you looking at?” He asks, not turning his head towards me. His eyes shift, causing me to look away with a slight blush on my cheeks.

  Nothing. I made an annoyed expression and pick up my pace.

  He catches up to me. “Did you have fun?”

  No. Sure.

  “Did you or did you not? Sure isn’t a full answer.”

  Why do you want to know?

  “What’s wrong with asking?! You’re so mean sometimes!”

  I shrug my shoulders. I guess I had a tiny bit of fun, but not really. I did like hearing Youngjae singing and stuff, but after that, it went downhill from there. I had fun.

  He grins. “I’m glad you did,” Youngjae says in a soft voice.

  I turn to him, seeing his head bowing to the ground as a small smile creeps on his lip. He looks up. “I don’t feel like going home, but I have to.” Youngjae rolls up his sleeve and checks the time on his watch. His eyes widen and he suddenly runs in front of me. When he was just a few feet away from me, he turns around with his hands behind his back. He grins widely at me with his eyes turning to crescents. “I’ll see you later, Daehyun.” With those words, he rushes away from me.

  I don’t know why, but my heart is speeding. That smile was different from his others. I place my hand on my chest, clearly feeling my heart pounding inside my chest as I hold my breath for a few seconds. What is wrong with me?