CHAPTER FOUR

Funny How It Happens

                I sat on the couch with my feet propped up on the coffee table, a pen held between my teeth and a newspaper in my hand. I’d spent the past hour or so circling all possible job options, and was now narrowing it down to the ones that I felt I could work around better with HanMi’s schedule. After calling a few of the stores and resturaunts, I started working on laundry.

                The guys hadn’t asked, but I felt like it was the least I could do for them since they were letting HanMi and I crash their dorm for a while. HanMi waddled around the dorm, although she couldn’t do much since all the doors were closed. This prevented her from causing anymore damage that we would have to clean up later.

                She’d just run by me, dragging her baby blanket behind her when I heard the front door open and close.

                “What are you guys doing back so early?” I called out, carrying the basket of clothes down the hall to fold in the living room. I had to use my foot to pick up HanMi’s blanket so I had my head down as I walked.

                However, when I looked up, it was not the guys that had entered the apartment.

                “Who are you?” he demanded, pointing at me with his sunglasses in his hand. I froze, eyes widening.

                “That depends on who you are.” I replied nervously.

                “B.A.P’s manager.” He said still frowning at me.

                I mentally smacked my forehead. “Oh, okay, that’s nice.” I said with an attempt at an air of ease. “I thought you were a serial killer or something.” Avoiding his gaze, I walked into the living room and dumped the laundry on the floor, kneeling down beside it. “It’s nice to meet you, I’m SoKyung.”

                “Why are you in their dorm?” he asked, walking into the living room and standing in front of me. I looked up in confusion.

                “They didn’t tell you?”

                “Tell me what?”

                “I live here.” I tilted my head to the side as I gazed at him. “I thought YongGuk talked to you already.”

                He shook his head. “I had no idea, but why are you living here?”

                As if to answer the question for me, HanMi came running into the living room, a huge smile spreading across her face as she wiggled her way under my arm and into my lap. His eyes rested on her, narrowed, and then widened.

                “Oh man.” He groaned, sitting down on the couch and covering his face with his hands. “Okay, I get it now.” He lifted his head to look at me. “But this doesn’t make it any more okay.” Then he stood up. “I just came by to pick up some stuff the guys forgot, but I’m going to talk to YongGuk and then the company’s president.”

                My mouth fell open in shock. “Wait, why?”

                “Because this is going to be all over the news as soon as the wrong person finds out.” He gestured to HanMi. “They just debuted, they can’t already have a scandal.” I bowed my head and nodded.

                If I had known that, I definitely wouldn’t have stayed here.

                I spent a lot of time pacing the dorm, wondering if their manager had spoken their company president yet or not. What was going to happen? I couldn’t go back and live with Hana now! HanMi was growing and soon we wouldn’t be able to fit in her tiny space. I mean, the guys’ dorm wasn’t much bigger space-wise, but they didn’t have much furniture or anything that could make it too cramped. Plus, HanMi was already so comfortable with them. If we left, she’d be heartbroken and miss them terribly. She was just getting used to having her dad—aka YongGuk—around, how would she react to not being around him anymore? I mean, sure, she’s young and would most likely move on, but what about those first couple of months of tears? She’d forget them, but they would forever be etched into my brain, wouldn’t they?

                With a frustrated sigh, I flopped down onto the couch and closed my eyes. I was just trying to be a responsible mother. Why did that have to be so hard?

                The door opened and the dorm filled up with the conversation of the guys. They sounded so relaxed and satisfied with whatever they had done during their schedules. Their manager must have not talked to them yet.

                I propped myself up by my elbows and glared at them. How could they be so carefree at a time like this? Why was I the only one freaking out right now?

                They all stopped as soon as they noticed me on the couch.

                “Hi noona.” Daehyun said, giving me a suspicious look. “Are you alright?”

                “Have you talked to your manager lately?” I asked.

                “Well, he was the one driving.” Youngjae said with a chuckle. “Why?”

                “He stopped by earlier and seemed pretty upset to find out I lived here, since none of you decided to tell him.” I stood up, crossing my arms. “Did you know that if the wrong person found out that HanMi and I were living here, it could start a scandal and get us all in trouble?” They all nodded. “Why did no one tell me that?” I demanded, throwing my hands up in the air in frustration.

                “Because we weren’t worried.” Himchan said, walking over to me and placing his hands on my shoulders. “Oh, and our company president called while we were in the car.”

                I let out a small whimper which made him smile. “What did he say?”

                “He wants to offer you a job as one of our coordinators. You’d still live with us, but you’d have to help us get ready for interviews, performances, and variety shows and stuff like that.” Himchan shrugged. “Not that we don’t already do a great job at that.”

                I stared at him for a long time before glancing behind him at the others. They were all smirking at me.

                These punks.

                With a sigh, I nodded, smiling slightly. “Sounds great.”

                Each of the guys, excluding YongGuk, cheered and began jumping around like little kids. HanMi giggled and clapped, watching them in fascination.

                I sighed and sat down on the couch again. What was I getting into?