CHAPTER TWENTYONE

Funny How It Happens

                “Bang HanMi?” I asked, crashing into the counter of the receptionist at the hospital as soon as we entered. She looked up with an unamused expression on her face and sighed.

                “Relation to patient?” she asked, already typing something into the computer.

                “Her parents.” I replied, trying to catch my breath. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw YongGuk leaning over with his hands on his knees, doing the same thing. We’d literally ran from the car in the parking lot all the way here as fast as we could after driving the few hours from Incheon after I had explained Hana’s phone call to him. There had been no time for a break in between all of that.

                The receptionist typed away on the computer for a moment. “Please take a seat in the waiting room; we’ll call you up when we’re done.”

                “Done with what?” I demanded, probably sounding harsher than what was necessary.

                “Thank you.” YongGuk said quickly, guiding me towards the waiting room. He sat me down in one of the chairs and knelt down in front of me. “Breathe, So. She’s going to be okay.”

                I nodded, taking in a deep breath. “You’re right. She’s fine. I’m sure Hana was just overreacting.” I shrugged. “This isn’t the first time. The doctors at the hospital in Mokpo knew us by name by the time HanMi was four months because Hana always brought her there when she, like, sneezed or something.”

                He smiled, moving to sit down beside me. “Yeah? Was HanMi a complicated baby?”

                I shook my head quickly. “She was so easy. I have no idea how I lucked out like that. My mother swore I’d get this troubled baby that would keep me up late at night and cry all the time and spit up and just make such a mess and never listen to me, but HanMi has never been like that. She always sleeps through the night, barely cries, hardly ever spits, her messes are rarely ever big, and she listens really well.” I smiled and nudged him playfully. “She’s a pacifist too.”

                He smiled and ducked his head down. “So she’s like me, sort of.”

                “Her personality is so much like you, it’s scary.” I nodded in agreement. “And when she starts talking, she’ll probably repeat after you more than me too.”

                He leaned back and sighed. “When do you think she’ll start talking?”

                I shrugged. “When she’s ready. I’m not about to rush her. You didn’t start until you were five, so it’s not like either one of us should expect her to be speaking full sentences by age three or something.”

                “But you were already speaking by two.” He kicked at my foot with his foot, with a thoughtful look on his face. “She could take after you in that way.”

                I nodded. “She could. We’ll see.”

                I glanced up just as Hana came running down the hall. She let out a relieved sigh when she saw us sitting in the waiting room. I jumped up and met her halfway.

                “What happened?” I asked, as she threw her arms around my neck. I noticed she was shaking terribly. She pulled away and rubbed at her cheeks. She’d been crying. I felt all the color drain from my face as I waited for her to speak.

                “S-So, I’m so sorry.” She said in a shaky voice, grasping desperately onto my hands as she looked into my eyes. “I-I should have noticed earlier, b-but I wasn’t paying attention, and then it was too late—“

                “Slow down, Hana, what happened?” YongGuk asked, reaching out and rubbing her arm comfortingly. She turned to look at him with wide eyes.

                “I’m so sorry! I didn’t know!” She said, shaking her head.

                “Just tell us what happened.” I replied, giving her a reassuring smile. She nodded, taking a deep breath to recollect herself.

                “I took HanMi to daycare this morning before work, and she was really fussy, but I thought it was just because she missed you guys. So I left her there and went to work, but her teacher ended up calling me later and told me she had a temperature, and it was pretty high. So I brought her home and gave her some medicine, but the temperature just kept rising. I didn’t know what to do, so I called Manager Kang, and Himchan came over and drove us to the hospital, so I called you because I didn’t know what to do anymore and I’m just so sorry!” Hana looked from YongGuk back to me with nervous glances as if expecting one of us to get angry.

                I was too busy being worried to be angry though. “Is she okay?”

                Hana nodded. “The doctor said that it’s the flu and they gave her something to lower the temperature. They want to keep her here overnight to watch over her for now to make sure it doesn’t get worse, but just some basic medicine should help once we take her home. Himchan is up in her room with her right now.” She gestured towards down the hall where she had just come from.

                I let out a relieved sigh and pulled Hana into another hug. “Thank you.”

                “I really am sorry.” She mumbled.

                I pulled back and shook my head. “Don’t be, I’m glad you called me.”

                “But I ruined your honeymoon.” She pouted slightly and turned to look at YongGuk. “Didn’t I?”

                He shrugged. “We can kick the guys out and watch movies back at the dorm. It’s basically the same thing.”

                “Besides, we missed HanMi and you guys.” I smiled at her. “Don’t worry about it, we’ll go visit his parents another time.”

                But then we both paused as we stared at her.

                “How did you know we were going on a honeymoon?” YongGuk asked.

                Hana smirked, raising an eyebrow at him. “What other reason would Bang YongGuk voluntarily leave the recording studio so close to the next set of promotions?” She glanced at me. “SoKyung isn’t pregnant again, I can tell.” I smacked her arm. She crossed her arms and glared at us. “So you sneak off to go get married, huh?”

                We both snuck glances at each other and sheepishly turned away. Why did I suddenly feel like a child getting scolded by my mom?

                Hana squealed, throwing her arms around both of us. “That’s so cute!” She jumped back and grinned. “Tell me all about it later, okay? Let’s go check on HanMi!” And then she turned and led us down to the room that HanMi was staying in.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

just a heads up, i'm going to skip a little bit of time :)

like right now i would say it's close to 'no mercy' promotions...but i might just go to 'one shot' promotions soon and skip all the in between to save time :)

move the story along and all, ya know?

thanks for reading~