Hot Mess 12

Hot Mess

 

The day went on quite normally after that, except for when Jonghyun and Kibum would discretely link their fingers together or the few extra glances they got from the other three when they walked a little closer. Jinki and Minho only smiled at them mischievously, seemingly at terms with both their relationship and acting, but for some reason Taemin would always look irritated and he actually ignored both Kibum and Jonghyun if he could. Kibum didn’t understand. Well, he almost never understood what the maknae was thinking but this was beyond his capacity of imagination. He didn’t think it had anything to do with the fact that both he and Jonghyun were men and a couple, though. Everyone in the group had made it clear that they didn’t mind.

He didn’t have to worry about confronting him, anyway, because as soon as they came in through the door Taemin grabbed Kibum's arm and dragged him to their room.

“Don’t disturb us!” he called over his shoulder to the others.

Kibum turned his head to look at three equally puzzled faces. He noticed the more worried look in Jonghyun’s eyes and tried to give him a reassuring smile. Then Taemin pushed him inside the bedroom and shut the door. He didn’t let go of Kibum's arm until he had made him sit on his bed and positioned himself in front of him.

“Hyung, are you entirely certain?” was the first thing he said, all serious business.

Kibum raised his eyebrows questioningly.

“Jonghyun-Hyung, are you absolutely certain about him?” he repeated and narrowed his eyes.

Kibum sighed and grabbed Taemin’s hands. “Why are you asking me this?”

“I’m scared for you, Hyung.” Taemin bit his lip and actually looked close to tears. It was a sight so rare and heartbreaking that Kibum felt like giving him the world. Had it been this hard on everyone? “I don’t want you to go back to how you were and I don’t want SHINee to break up.”

“Taemin-ah.” Kibum said softly and pulled him into a rib-breaking hug. “None of that is going to happen.”

“But, Hyung-”

“I know Jonghyun’s feelings well,” Kibum explained and cupped Taemin’s face. He couldn’t promise Taemin that they would be together forever but this was the best he could do, “because we went through the same stages in realising them, although he didn’t have to live with an unrequited love.”

Kibum smiled a little and Taemin smiled back.

“Okay, then I trust you, Hyung.”

Kibum glared at him playfully and pinched his cheek. “Good. I’m the only trustable person in this dorm so I think you made the right choice.”

Taemin laughed and hugged him again. Then they stood up, going out to join the others in the living-room and decide what to eat for dinner. As soon as Taemin saw Jonghyun on the couch he bounced over and jumped right on top of him and the other two sitting beside him, almost hitting Minho’s face with his feet in the process.

“I want to eat spaghetti!” he said cheerily and to his back in their laps while Jonghyun, who had gotten most of the blast named Taemin, tried to catch the breath he had knocked out of him.

Kibum sat down on the floor in front of them since the couch was full and smiled. It felt like a long time ago they had all sat together like this. Jonghyun looked between him and Taemin questioningly but Kibum only shook his head and his smile broadened.

Could you be so happy you felt like exploding? Kibum found himself wondering as he watched his band-members on the couch loudly complaining and trying to push Taemin off while he clung to them like a koala. Because that was exactly what Kibum felt. He was so happy at the moment that he wanted to explode like a firework in all the colours of the rainbow and he felt like laughing at the smallest of things.

“Hyung, I know you and Kibum-Hyung just made your feelings for each other clear and I know that you probably just want to be alone together,” Taemin said looking up at Jonghyun when they stopped trying to push him off. Jonghyun, who had been smiling at Kibum upon noticing him daydreaming, turned his attention to the youngest, “but can’t we all do something together after our schedule tomorrow? It felt like it was a long time ago we all did something with just us.”

Jonghyun tilted his head a little, glancing at the other three. “Sure, but aren’t you mad at me?”

“Nah,” Taemin wrinkled his nose, “not really, just don’t be a jerk.”

Jinki and Minho let out a snort of laughter and Kibum put his palm to his forehead. Really.

Jonghyun grimaced. “I’m sorry?” he said questioningly.

“As long as you know your deeds.” Taemin answered, sounding like a superhero that let a villain go, after he had promised to be good.

Jonghyun chuckled slightly. “Okay.”

Jinki shifted and groaned under the weight of Taemin, which was pressing his arm in an uncomfortable angle. “We have spoiled this brat too much!”

“What was that, Hyung?” Taemin grinned.

Jinki looked down at him with narrowed eyes, but his lips were smiling.

“You’re spoiled!” he shouted.

And with one last effort all three of them managed to push Taemin off their legs and stood up quickly so that he couldn’t jump back up on them.

After having the most cheerful dinner they had had in months they decided to go to bed because of their early schedule. Kibum seized his opportunity to get some alone time with Jonghyun while Minho was showering, thanking everyone and their mother that he liked taking long showers. He ignored Jinki’s and Taemin’s knowing smirks as he made his way to Jonghyun’s room and told them to stop goggling and get to bed. Then he quietly slipped inside the dark room and took a deep, silent breath.

“Jonghyun?” he whispered.

He heard the rustle of sheets as the shape in front of him turned.

“Mmh?”

Kibum's heart skipped a beat as it suddenly dawned on him that Jonghyun was absolutely and completely his.  He wondered if he would ever get used to thinking that. It all was so surreal, like a dream. Kibum swallowed down the string of love-confessions that threatened to spill out of him at those thoughts.

“Sorry, did I wake you?”

Jonghyun stretched out a hand, indicating Kibum to come closer. “No.”

When Kibum was close enough, that hand closed around his wrist and he let himself be pulled down into Jonghyun’s embrace. Jonghyun hummed in satisfaction, it almost sounded like a cat’s purr, and Kibum felt the vibrations of his voice go down his spine.

“Do you remember when we did this in our debut days?” Jonghyun murmured.

Kibum nodded against his chest, hugging him back and letting the feeling of Jonghyun’s arms around him seep into the very core of his body. He could feel his breath on top of his head and it sent another small shiver down his spine.

“You don’t regret this?”

The question was out of Kibum's mouth before he could even register it going through his brain and he wanted to kick himself and his insecurity in situations like these.

Jonghyun pulled back a little to look at him, almost like he was hurt.

“I’m sorry.” Kibum mumbled embarrassedly.

Jonghyun grabbed Kibum's chin as he tried to look away.

“No.” He said gravely. “I don’t regret it. I thought about it for five days and six nights.”

Kibum bit his lip. “I know. I shouldn’t have asked.”

Jonghyun continued to look Kibum in the eyes for a few more seconds like he was deep in thought.

“It’s like I found a piece of me that I didn’t know was missing.” He whispered, more to himself than to the other. Kibum almost didn’t catch the words.

A lump formed in Kibum's throat and he took a deep shaky breath. “Why do you always make me close to tears?” he demanded, but without any force. “Either it’s from sadness or happiness but both over your stupidity.”

Jonghyun chuckled and leaned forward to press their lips together. Kibum smiled into the kiss and grabbed the front of his sleeping T-shirt to pull him closer. Jonghyun’s hand travelled from his face down his neck, tracing the slight curve of his waist and came to a stop at his hip, pulling Kibum closer as well, fingers sliding under Kibum's shirt ever so little.

However, Minho opened the door before they could take it any further (and it was probably for the better). Kibum shot up as fast as lightning and almost pushed Jonghyun off the bed, which made him let out a half curse in return and Minho raise his eyebrows at them with crossed arms.

“I know you’re all lovey-dovey now, but you should probably do that where no one can walk in on you guys.” He said and calmly made his way to his bed.

Kibum felt his cheeks heat up.

“Right. Sorry.” Jonghyun said sheepishly as he scooted away from the edge a little, afraid of falling down for real next time.

“Are you going to stay here tonight?” Minho asked Kibum as he slipped under his covers. “Because I could go sleep in your bed, if that’s the case.”

Kibum's cheeks became even hotter and he stood up at once.

“N-no.” He stammered, sounding unlike himself. This was not his area of expertise at all. “I was just saying goodnight.”

Minho smirked at him, not unlike the other two had done.

“Well then, goodnight.” He said and turned to face the wall.

“Goodnight.” Kibum offered him back and turned to Jonghyun who pulled up one corner of his mouth. Kibum rolled his eyes at him and bent down to press his lips against Jonghyun’s one last time. “Goodnight.” He murmured.

“Goodnight.” Jonghyun whispered back.

Then Kibum left the room as quickly as he could and went straight to bed, not bothering to meet the other two’s gazes as he entered.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Well, aren't I productive? :P I don't actually like this chapter all that much... don't know why :/ And the next chapter might take a while too, but we'll see...

On another note, there's probably only one or two chapters left to this story, but I have a oneshot sequel planned as well so I guess you could say there're three chapters left. >_<

Also, thank you to all of you reading this and thank you to all the subscribers! <3 I don't think I have thanked you yet :)

Anyway, a big thank you to everybody!!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! <3