Beginning of the End/End of the Beginning

Why Did I Fall In Love With You?

"WE SURVIVED!"

The first school year just finished, and everyone was on their feet celebrating. it was a nerve-wrecking number of months and they were ecstatc that they managed to pass every subject, and the fact that no one in their class failed a single subject calls for a celebration. Every clique, or group of friends in class planned their own way of celebrating. One group of girls planned to go for a spa day to ease the stress and one group was going out to see a movie.

"Where do we go, guys?" Jiho asked Heejin, Jaejoong and their other friends.

"How about we just go eat or something?" Eunsung, Heejin's best friend suggested. "I'm sure all of us were practically starving during our final exams."

"I want Dakgalbi and Kimbap." Jaejoong said. Even until now, he was still curious about how Heejin's cooking would taste like.

Soon everyone in their group started naming their favorite dishes which led them to the conclusion that they should all eat out.


"But why do I have to go with him?" Changmin whined. Earlier, their manager informed them that Changmin and Jaejoong would be attending an event for one of their sponsors. Of course, the evil maknae of the group preferred to stay at home and eat or do something else than be with his hyung, whom he now nicknames, "The Lovestruck Man".

"Because our manager told us, Changmin." Yunho said, trying to calm Changmin down.

"Can't I just go with Yoochun hyung or Junsu hyung?"

"We can't argue with the manager's decision, Min." Jaejoong said. "And, don't you want to go with me?"

Changmin shook his head violently which led the other members to laugh.

After some more persuasion and a promise of an 18-inch pizza by midnight, Changmin finally agrees.

"I just hope these two idiots don't do anything stupid." Yunho whispers at the sight of Jaejoong trying to hug Changmin while the younger one throws pillow around the room.


"Cheers to a school year with the most awesome, smart and funny classmates in the world!" Soohyuk, another one of their friend, raised up his can of soda and everyone followed suit.

"I hope we'll still be in one class the next school year." Jiho said. "I don't think I can ever be like this when I'm not with you guys."

Everyone laughed at Jiho's sudden bust of emotion. "Hey, stop that. No one's leaving one another, right Heejin?" Eunsung assured, glancing at Heejin, who was eating quietly. Soon, she noticed the four pairs of eyes looking at her.

"Ah, yes yes. We'll keep in touch this summer break!" She smiled. However that smile only stayed skin-deep. Deep inside, she was worried about something else. 

Summer break, that'd mean she won't be able to see her friends since her family decided to go to Jeju Province for vacation. At the same time, Jaejoong would be busier because of his training and her other friends had their plans. Given the chance, she'd stay in Seoul with them, but fate had other things in store for her.

She shook her head, what was she thinking? How could she be so selfish? Of course at one point, they would actually separate and live their own lives. That's how life is. 

The only thing she had to do is to treasure this moment, preparing for whatever has to happen to the five of them soon.


At the celebration of SK Group's 50th anniversary, the two men were in good terms and they were enjoying the night.

"Never expected the food here tastes great!" Changmin beamed after getting another set of complimentary food from the waiters going around. He takes a glance at Jaejoong who just took a glass of wine and sips it carefully, looking around.

"Aren't you enjoying yourself, hyung?" Changmin asked. 

"Of course I am." Jaejoong replied. Changmin gives him another look and they both laugh. Some photographers approached their cocktail table and took photos of them. Jaejoong smiled politely while Changmin smiles proudly, obviously enjoying himself.

"Well, aren't you too happy for an event, huh?" Jaejoong asks.

"I don't even feel like going home." The younger one replies and he smiles. If Changmin wasn't around, he's be bored to death.

Just then a number of photographers ran past them.

"Representatives of Son Communications are here! Make way!" An usher said.


When everyone's stomach's were filled up, they decided to call it a day. Summer break officially starts for them and for a good two months, they had to forget just a little bit about their studies and professors. It was the end of the beginning.

"So you're going to Jeju with your family, right?" Jaejoong asked Heejin as they were walking to the bus stop.

Heejin made a face. "Yes. To be honest I'd rather spend vacation at home watching TV or something else. I don't really like leaving."

"But it's only for two weeks, there's nothing wrong with that. You'll come back again after."

"I guess you're right." She sighed. "You're going to train nonstop from now on, eh?"

Jaejoong nodded. "Guess I am. They told me that they will soon be preparing for another boy group, so I must do my best."

Heejin smiled for him, happy that after all these months, he finally would be rewarded for his hard work.  "You should!"

"Thanks." He smiled back at her. Soon, Bus No. 152 came and Heejin had to leave.

"I hope you enjoy your vacation, Heejin." Jaejoong said. "Goodbye."

He quickly pulls her for a hug and she embraces him back, feeling the warmth of his arms around her. He breathes in her lavender-scented perfume, thinking when might be the next time he will hold her like this.

"I'll miss you." She whispers. "I'll really miss you."

When she pulls away and runs to the bus, she doesn't look back. Of course a time has to come where they part ways and not know when their paths might cross again.

Maybe it's the beginning of the end, she sighed.


Jaejoong looked around. Son Communications rung a bell. 

"Is something wrong, hyung?" Changmin asked.

He shook his head, trying to take a closer look at the group of people approaching. "No. No everything's okay."

Son Communications. Could it be? But what if it was just his wishful thinking and it turns out to be another company? He sighed. There were these times where he kept wishing for something and he expects a lot, but in the end he only gets hurt because he expected too much, wanted too much of something. How he wished that his little wish would be granted, just for this day.

In that moment where he kept wishing for a miracle, Fate comes in and grant it. 

His eyes couldn't be mistaken. There she was, looking wonderful and beautiful as always.

Son Heejin.