Split Screen Sadness

Why Did I Fall In Love With You?

A/N: A very, very overdue update! I’m really sorry for making you wait this long. I’ve been extra busy the past months because of my undergrad thesis, but now into my last few months of university, here’s an update for y’all! Since I haven’t updated in a looooong time, I suggest you backread a few chapters to refresh your memory~

Also, I just finished watching the season finale of Game of Thrones and I am not okay huhu


“Because she’s too good for me.”

Ever since he said that, Jaejoong felt as if the whole world, if not, something changed that he couldn’t quite figure out. Maybe it’s the fact that he finally became honest with himself and admitted the feelings he tried to be denial of. Or maybe it’s because Jiho and Soohyuk knows it?

He mentally cringed at the thought. What if they tell Heejin about it and then it ends up in the worst way possible—she avoids him for good?

“No, they won’t tell her… They couldn’t—I mean they shouldn’t. Of course they won’t.” He mumbled to himself on his way to school. Since he left his small apartment, Jaejoong felt uneasy because going to school means that he’ll see her and one way or another, his mind will remind him of his confession to his friends and maybe he won’t be able to—

“Jae! Hey, Jae!” He was so distracted with his thoughts that he didn’t realize a familiar voice had been calling him and running to catch up to him—he walks fast when he’s deep in his thoughts.

“Yah, Kim Jaejoong!!”

Jaejoong finally looked back and to his surprise, Heejin was running to him and despite the cool autumn breeze, he felt his cheek warm up.

Act cool. Don’t show that you like her. Act cool, he thought. But of course he knows he’d stutter anyway so he just smiled and greeted her a good morning.

But before Heejin could reply, the school bell rang and along with the other students, they ran before the first period began.


“Excuse me, but can you step on the gas or something? I think we’re late for the shoot.” Heejin looked over at her driver. As an account executive, she also has the task of overlooking commercial sets to see that the clients’ requirements are followed and that everything is running smoothly and on-time.

Except today, she isn’t on time. After taking the first flight from Tokyo to Seoul, they were caught up in traffic. Normally, she would be on set hours before to overlook the production, and move from one set to another. She glanced at her phone for the nth time and sighed. If there is one thing Heejin hates aside from rude clients is being late for anything.

“I’ve already sent a text to Junseo saying we’ll be late, but so far he hasn’t replied,” Her secretary, Jihye reassured her. “Meanwhile, Miss Heejin, you might want to take a nap. I’ll wake you up when we get there.”

She smiled at her secretary for being so caring and leaned back on the leather chair, hoping that everything turns out well. But she doesn’t fall asleep. Not when she feels uneasy and she’s late for work.


Fortunately at class, neither Jiho nor Soohyuk reminded him of the events a few days ago. Of course the two felt bad that they had to watch their friend bottle up his feelings for his best friend, who is also their friend. As much as they wanted to see Jaejoong happy, they respected his decision to keep quiet about it.

“Please, guys, please please please don’t tell Heejin or Eunsung,” he begged his friends that day.

“When you like someone, shouldn’t you tell them?” Jiho asked, looking worried for Jaejoong.

“That’s what books say and those dramas on TV, but Heejin…” Jaejoong replied. “She’s my best friend.”

Jiho opened his mouth to reply, but he looks back at Jaejoong—broken, confused, lonely—and his heart breaks a little for his friend. He looks at Soohyuk who also has the same expression on his face and he knew that whatever he says, it wouldn’t do any good for him, for them.

Second period flew by and Jaejoong distracted himself by reading a book he borrowed from the library and studying his notes. Every once in a while, he would steal a glance from Heejin who was busy talking to their other classmates about an upcoming batch activity. As one of the smartest and people-friendly students, she was always chosen for extracurricular activities which made her a familiar name in their year.

He then remembered how everyone in the hall looked at them as they were hurrying to class, how other students greeted her and how the boys from other classes looked at her and somehow sent an intimidating look at him. The look that tells him, “Why does she get to hang out with someone like you?”

At one point, he stared at her for too long that when she noticed and smiled at him, he quickly looked away and pretended to get something from his bag.

Is this how it feels to like someone? He thought, looking blankly at the empty page. You see their perfections and at the same time, notice your own?


“And cut! Everyone take five!” The director said.

“Thank you!” Yunho said, which was then echoed by the rest of s.

It was 10 in the morning and DBSK were out and about filming an upcoming CF for a phone company under SK Communications. Despite waking up early, all five of them were energetic and participative on set. Even Yoochun, who confesses to never being a morning person was playful that morning.

“What’s taking her so long?” Junseo, the on-set director whispered to one of the crew. “We’re on the fifth take and she hasn’t appeared yet.”

One of the staff replied that she was almost there (“just give us five minutes—I’m sorry it’s just so traffic”) and the director sighs, hoping that the set is perfect and that no changes will be made.

On the other side of the set, the five boys were playing with the props on set, acting like gardeners since the CF had a “spring-boy-gardener” concept.

“Hyung, take this as a token of my undying love for you,” Yoochun sneaks up behind Jaejoong and hands him a white peony, eyes blinking rapidly in a cute manner. The older man scoffs and shoves Yoochun’s arm to Changmin, who playfully accepts the flower.

“I’d rather have the groggy Yoochun that this walking megaphone,” Jaejoong sighs.

While the rest of the boys play along on set. The doors of the studio suddenly open wide, the sound of heels clanking against the floor echoing.

“Finally, you’re here!” One of the staffs sigh in relief, and all of a sudden he hears that voice, that familiar, bright voice he wanted to hear after a long time.

“I’m so, so, sorry, traffic was horrible!” Heejin says, out of breath.


For the rest of the day, Heejin becomes preoccupied with the upcoming batch activity, transferring from one classroom to another to liaise with other class representatives.  Sometimes, she would be excused for a short period in class, sighing as she got up from her desk because she never really signed up for the job; she was chosen and she felt too burdened to decline.

During lunch, Heejin told her friends to go ahead of her because she had a meeting to attend along with their class president. For some reason, given her busy schedule for the day, Jaejoong finds relief as he knows he won’t be confronted with his feelings every time he sees like. Of course, he feels guilty having to avoid her, or her avoiding him—he doesn’t really know which—but he feels less uneasy now.

I think I can be okay with this, he thinks.

But for the rest of the afternoon, he feels empty when he looks at the unoccupied desk beside him. Heejin was excused for the rest of the classes to talk with the faculty.


Of course both Heejin and Jaejoong were both shocked to see each other again, of all the circumstances. Apparently, SK Communications is a client of Heejin’s advertising firm, so there is a reason for her to be there.

Like fate, probably, Heejin tells herself, and then shakes the idea off.

In between takes, they share small talk, with Jaejoong mostly asking her questions. Later on, Changmin notices this and disrupts their conversation, running over to Heejin and saying that he missed her.

Heejin chuckles and Jaejoong swore he had just beheaded the younger man in his mind. “We only saw each other once, Changmin.”

“But I missed my soul sibling noona,” he replies, pouting. Soon, he introduces her to the rest of the group (“this is the pretty Son Heejin noona whom I met at the event I was telling you about”) and they introduce themselves, occasionally sending playful looks to Jaejoong who was displeased with how Heejin looks preoccupied with Changmin and the others.

“I knew her before you did, Shim,” he whispered to Changmin once the shoot resumed. Changmin just feigned innocence and replied that she is his friend.

This is going to be a long day, he sighed, looking at the peach peony by the set and at the pretty lady who was also looking at it.