Baby Steps

Why Did I Fall In Love With You?

Summer break soon ended and the second year of high school started. The school grounds were filled with students who were eager to see their friends again and professors who were rushing towards the faculty room. Fortunately, Heejin, Jaejoong and their other friends belonged to one class, which means that the year won't be as stressful as it seemed.

"I can't believe I'm in the same class as you guys! I'm already sick of your faces!" Jiho said, jokingly. 

Eunsung scoffed and crossed her arms, "Same here. God, I can't wait to graduate and not see your faces anymore!" An awkward silence followed and it broke down when Jiho and Eunsung said they were joking and the group huddled for a hug. The bell rang and they went to their respective desks.

"So, which university are you planning to go to?" Jaejoong asked Heejin.

Heejin smiled. "Isn't it too early to ask that?" When he was about to apologize for asking, she replied anyway.

"I know it's worth a shot, but hopefully I get into Yonsei's Law program." The determination that showed in her eyes made her looked a hundred, or maybe a thousand times prettier in her eyes as she drifted off to talk about her dream school.

"..Wait am I talking too much again?" She noticed the fact that she was the only one talking and he was just nodding. "Okay okay wait, so what about you?"

Just when he was about to reply, their teacher suddenly barged in the room, apologized for being late and went down to business.


In the next days, Heejin kept on thinking about how she failed to meet her high school "best friend" for lunch and has made her guilty (even if Jaejoong kept on saying that there was nothing to feel sorry about).

"I'm such a bad person for not even dropping by—wait, I didn't have any other choice, right?" She muttered to herself in her office, doodling in a blank sheet. There was nothing to feel about, right? But when they talked on the phone that night and knew that he waited for her even if she wouldn't come, it made her feel as if she was the worst person in the world.

"I am so sorry for that I didn't—I didn't know you waited then maybe I could have just—I feel so awful all of a sudden..."

She hears him chuckle in the background and for one moment she wanted to scold him for chuckling at something she thinks is "no laughing matter." For him, one of the cutest things about her is when she speaks rapidly. 

"It's okay, okay? Besides, there was nothing else for me to do that afternoon, so there's nothing for you to feel bad about."

Even if he himself told her that everything was just fine, she couldn't help but feel guilty. He waited. Waited for nothing.


At lunch, the group used their desks to create a big table and decided to eat there while telling stories of how they spent their summer. Everyone's summer sounded fun and interesting, then there was Heejin, who didn't enjoy the fact that her vacation was just her trailing her parents' business trips to different places. Jaejoong noticed her being silent so he asked if she was okay.

"I'm okay," she whispered, loud enough for only him to hear. "I just wish I enjoyed summer like the others..."

"Well you can't really bring back time, can you?" He gave a look and she replied with a smile, realizing her mistake.

"Right, thanks for that." She replied.

Jihyuk, the group's prankster noticed the two were having a conversation of their own. "Ah, what are the budding lovebirds talking about?"


"Thank you, Jihye." Heejin smiled at her assistant for bringing her a cup of green tea in her office. 

Jihye, in return, smiled at her. Heejin just got back from a board meeting and she has to finish up a report and pass it to the executive officers by the end of the day. It was one of the hectic days at work and she swore she needed to relax when all of a sudden, Jihye came in her office with her favorite drink.

"Wait, do I have an appointment tonight?" She asked.

JIhye looked at her smartphone and the replied, "Well you have one meeting in an hour then dinner with your parents. Is something the matter?"

"Oh. Okay, thank you Jihye." For a brief moment, Heejin looked disappointed. But she regained her composure and went back to work. 


"Hey you haven't told me about what you did last summer, Jae." Heejin said as they walked to the bus stop.

Jaejoong looked down. "I figured you won't forget that."

She squinted, peering at him. "Hey my memory still serves me right, okay? So, what have you been up to this summer?"

"Aw, you missed me didn't you?" He cooed, jokingly. Heejin looked at him in mock disgust and slapped her bag at his shoulders. 

"I was just asking out of curiosity because you never seemed to mention about it earlier."

"Okay, okay," he replied, patting the spot where she hit him on the shoulder. He then told her about his usual practice session, meeting new friends and possibly, his future bandmates. He also told about a younger guy name Shim Changmin who looked like a weakling but can eat up to more then five cups of rice and how starstruck he was to meet his favorite singer Kangta, who served as their vocal instructor for one day.

Even if Heejin was happy for him, who seemed to be a few steps closer to his dream, she was still worried for what will happen: to him, to his studies and to their friends. He was taking huge strides towards his dreams while she merely stood there, and wished that she also took those strides because the time was near.


At the meeting, Heejin's mind was still bothered. It was strange because she only used to be bothered by work-related things and just that. Nothing on her personal life. It was like the wall she built back then was slowly crumbling and falling down. She clutched her pen tighter and stayed focused.

Before it felt like she always needed to take long strides because she might miss a hundred opportunities, but now she just wanted it all to slow down so she can take baby steps. 

As the meeting proceeded, she began to think of restaurants and how to ask him out for lunch again.