The Truth

Less Than Perfect

After sitting with Yoseob for a little bit, and crying our hearts out, he readjusted and faced me, leaning his back on the side of the plastic yellow arch covering the slide.

"So...are you okay?" he asked, referring to my crying earlier.

"Mmm...yeah, I think I will be," I chuckled nervously. "I just...agh, just need a little time."

"Wh-what happened, if you dont mind me asking?" Yoseob cautiously asked, taking care to not pry somewhere he shouldn't.

"I, ahhh..." I paused to look for the right way to say it. "I just found out that I'm not actually who I thought I was,"

He nodded slightly, "Like an identity crisis?"

"Not...exactly. I was..." I chuckled, knowing how ridiculous I was going to sound. "I was adopted, aparently."

"...what?" He shot me the look I was expecting. A questioning look, like he was caught between laughing in my face and being genuinely sorry. "Really? Like, no joke?"

"Welp, yeah," I sighed.

"Oh my god..." he mumbled, shifting so we were right next to each other again. His hand rested against my back, rubbing softly. "It's like a drama!" 

"Hah! Good one," I said sarcastically. "I don't really know much about it, I kinda ran out of the house before they could say anything..." I chuckled.

"You should get back to them, then! Imagine how worried they are," he pouted.

"I should, shouldn't I?" I wasn't sure why, but I didn't want to leave him. 

"I'll walk you home," he smiled. "A pretty girl like you would be in so much trouble, walking alone," he explained.

 

 

"Thank you, Yoseob," I smiled at the boy. We were on my doorstep, and I was still reluctant to leave.

"Good luck with your parents-fighting!" he cheered. 

"I'll see you at school then," I said as I slowly unlocked the door. I looked back and he smiled softly. 

"Yeah, I'll see you. Good night, Jiyoon," I watched him turn around and start towards his own house, and I finally walked in. 

"JIYOON-" I heard, as two figures shot up from the sofa. "WE WERE SO WORRIED,"

"HOW COULD YOU LEAVE US LIKE THAT"

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS!?" my parents chorused.

"I'm sorry, I just needed a breather," I sighed.

"Jiyoon, we're really sorry," my mom began. " We just wanted the best for you, and...we're sorry,".

"Well, when you were about 9 years old, around the beginning of January, you and your birth parents got in an a car accident. It was fatal. They both...passed. You, on the other hand, only got a concussion. You were passed out, and apparently a witness took you to the hospital. When the police got to the scene, they only found two bodies, your parents. You were at the hospital, but no one knew who you were. Even you. You had...you had suffered from...amnesia. They took you to an adoption agency, and we were so blessed to find you. We adopted you as soon as we saw you, but there were some complications...you were still unidentified," my dad explained. I looked at them expectantly.

"They don't know much about you, still, but...we know your name," she said. "You're...Nam Jieun,"