Teenagers.

Less Than Perfect

"What is a pretty girl like you doing out here alone?" a strange voice asked. I slowly turned around in fright. 

"YANG YOSEOB YOU ALMOST GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK!" I shrieked, hitting the boy on the arm. 

He laughed, "I'm the best at voice impressions, aren't I?". I sniffled and nodded. "He-hey, wait were you the one crying!?" 

Rubbing my nose, I lied: "Yeah, but I'm fine now, I just needed to relieve some stress,".

"Liar! That's your lying face. Jieun, I know when you're lying to me," Yoseob said to me. He just...called me Jieun... Yoseob must've caught onto my face when he quickly corrected himself, "Jiyoon! I meant Jiyoon...".

I tried my best to smile and stood up. "I think I should get going now, it's late and I bet my...I bet my parents are worried sick,". Yoseob grabbed my arm and sat me back down. 

"Jiyoon, I'm so sorry, it's just that...to be honest I'm trying to get myself to forget about her. I'm trying to accept that she is part of my past, but it's so hard. She was my everything-it's like all that I've ever known has been taken away. Stolen, even," Yoseob explained. 

I chuckled under my breath, "I know how it feels,". I paused. "Like you're lost, and no one could ever save you? You got in too deep even though you didn't do ? I know. I know," tears started to build up again, and I rubbed harshly to prevent Yoseob from seeing them. 

"I...uh...yeah. Yeah, that's exactly it," he put his hand on my head and leaned it onto his shoulder. "I lost Jieun and her family on January 5th. 11:39 AM. Three years ago, on my birthday. It hasn't been that long but every day without her is an eternity. And it was all my fault," he mumbled. 

"Stop saying that!" I exploded, pulling away from his embrace. "Is it really your fault!? Do we have any control over anything that happens in our life!? No! You need to stop blaming yourself because it honestly wasn't your fault! We're just teenagers-we know nothing! Everyone expects us to act like responsible adults while they treat us like kids, and this is what comes out of it! All of us are screwed up and see ourselves as failures-we compare ourselves to everyone else, we blame ourselves for every single bad thing that happens, and we always wish we were different. We have this idea of a 'perfect' person in our heads, and we hate ourselves even more because that's not us! No one is perfect, so stop trying to be! You are good enough as you are, so stop trying to change. Stop blaming yourself because you won't feel any better and it won't change a thing." I finished and Yoseob stared at me, wide eyed. I sighed and shook my head. "Dammit, I'm sorry-Yoseob cut me off and gathered me into his arms, rocking me back and forth. It felt so familiar, so comforting, I never wanted to leave. I snuggled into him deeper and we stayed like that.