Chapter 2

The Chaser

 

            Inhale... Exhale... Snore.
 
            Sungyeol looked at his now slumbering friend while seated in the passenger side of the car, and once seeing the slight drool forming at the edge of WooHyun's mouth, an amused chuckle emanated from the man who was so deep in observation.
 
            One minute he gets excited about seeing Sunggyu-hyung, the next he's in dreamland..
 
            Even though Sungyeol was the only one who had been officially told by WooHyun himself about his growing feelings for the leader of their friend group, the young man was quite aware of the truth that their friends were hinted in on the news by the love-struck male's instant mood swings and personality changes from 'all-about WooHyun' to 'all-about Sunggyu, the love of my life'.
 
            Sungyeol grimaced as he began to feel bad for his friend's situation once again. Ever since the older had found out about the intimate relationship between the leader and the maknae of their circle he had been down in the dumps, but surprisingly that didn't keep the boy from loving the taken man all the more, and what's most shocking than that was the update that his feelings had steadily increased due to the knowledge bomb instead of dying down like they were supposed to.
 
            Oh, if only you knew the truth, Woo, he thought to himself as he gazed out the window of the moving vehicle. Truth be told, Sunggyu had also come to him to confess his own thoughts, and they were especially unnerving according to the best friend of all three parties..
 
            Flashback.
 
            "Yeollie!.. Dongsaeng!.. LEE SUNGYEOL!" the slowly-rising impatience in his hyung's voice was proof enough that if he didn't stop hiding from his leader now, he may not be able to see the light of day ever again. Moving out of the corner of his small bedroom, he came face to face with a shaking figure in his doorway before the being moved towards him with slow steps. "Sungyeol, I need to speak with you privately."
 
            "We're already in private, can't you see that?" the younger replied back nervously as his gaze flitted from corner to corner of the square holding cell, butterflies of terror entering his stomach. No one ever wanted to mess with an angry Sunggyu. No one.
 
            "I'm in love with WooHyun."
 
            "Erm, what?" the younger asked as he hit the sides of his head in a motion that looked like he was trying to get something out of his ears. "Sorry, for a minute there I thought you said you loved-"
 
            The look on the leader's face shut the other one up, and thoughts raced throughout Sungyeol's mind. Sunggyu? In love? With Woohyun? Not Sungjong, his boyfriend?
 
            "But you're dating Sungjong.. Do you not love Jongie anymore?"
 
            "Aish, I do, that's my issue," the older pulled at his hair in furstration before he froze, a light entering his eyes that only hinted at the beginnings of a plot arising in the temperamental man's brain, "do you think.. do you think, Yeolli, that a person could be in two different relationships at the same time?"
 
            "NO, YOU IDIOT!" Smack.
 
            Flashback end.
 
            He had to admit, how he had reacted back then was perhaps a little over the top, but what was he supposed to do? He hadn't ever heard anything like that come out of Sunggyu's mouth, and he was already in a deep pit of shock that that little push finally knocked him overboard.
 
            Anyway, that's how the next years went by - Woohyun lusting after Sunggyu, Sunggyu lusting and yearning after WooHyun while caring for Sungjong as a lover, and the maknae ultimately clueless about the situation he was in.
 
            But if you thought that was bad, the last two months have been horrible. Woohyun and Sunggyu have gone from not 'just friends', but 'friends with benefits'.
 
            Every time the youngest was needed out of the country or town, the WooGyu couple took the chance to play their 'little games' and pretend that they were the ones in the lovey-dovey relationship instead of what was in their reality. But what didn't make sense to Sungyeol is why they couldn't understand that while they were having fun doing things behind the (let's be honest, really-unwanted-lover-of-Sunggyu) maknae's back it wasn't hurting anyone but themselves. All three of them.
 
            Every time Sungjong would return from his trips, Sunggyu would put on the mask of pushing away Woohyun's affections and doting himself on his official lover's every whim. And the other? Left in the dust while his inner rages toward the maknae's personal relationship with the leader fumed, powered on by hatred of the word 'love' popping out of Sungjong's mouth and secret text messages the oldest would take the time to send to him.
 
            Thus, Sungyeol was even more terrified of what Woohyun would do once he learned the truth as to why the surprise visit to Gyu-hyung's house. Looking down at his backpack that was in front of his feet, he bent down to undo the top zipper and gaze inside at the black gunmetal weapon located inside, stocked with ammo and a holster. It was his job, his duty to follow orders given by his boss. But why did it have to be his friend? Why of all people did it have to be Sunggyu? Why did he have to hurt not only one person this time, but three?
 
            Sometimes, he really hated this job.
 
A/N: Okay, I'm not sure if this chapter made very much sense, I was writing this over the span of three days and most of the time I was a little out of it due to exhaustion, so if it's confusing, I'm sorry, go ahead and let me know and I'll try and clear up as much confusion as I can without giving away the next chapter's events. Again, let me know what you guys think - I loved your comments from the previous chapter, it really helped me get into the mood of continuing this series. Thanks. ^^
 
P.S. I know, this is a really short chapter compared to the other one, but alas, my muse isn't what it was, and it may be like this until the end of semester, so until then.. just bear with me.