Chapter 3

The Chaser

 

            Warm rays of yellow-golden light filtered through the window of the dull cube-shaped room twenty teenage students of Paradise Academy were now lounging in while attempting to wake themselves, never mind the fact that it was early afternoon. Granted, they didn't start official lessons until 9 which would normally give them plenty of time for slumber, but it was the new law of the school that drained their energy.
 
            This year's principal of the school, Choi Siwon, had felt it necessary to add more activity to each student's already busy schedules. Thus, the physical education instructor brought them out on the soccer field every week day at precisely 7:40 AM and sent them running lap after lap for 30 minutes round the entire stadium. Then, afterward, they would all have to team up in groups of five and play a sport of their desire for the remaining hour until the bell rung signaling their needed arrival inside the building.
 
            Honestly, the exercise wasn't that bad once you got used to it. What was bad was the classes following the workout. For some students, those lessons were the highlight of their day. For others? The perfect chance to doze off and replace those hours of deprived sleep the night before.
However, for two people attending this educational facility, there was one thing that kept them awake. Only one thing to keep them devoted to work:
 
            Lee Sungjong, a junior at Paradise.
 
            Now these two people don't just have school in common. They also have love.
 
            One being a Kim Myungsoo, senior at Paradise and Student Body President.
 
            The other being Kim Sunggyu, homeroom supervisor of students with the last name H through P.
 
            When did Myungsoo fall in love with Sungjong? A week after the first day of school. He as well as the office staff came up with an incentive idea for the school and had created flyers and permission slips for the homerooms to hand out. And who had arrived to retrieve the files for his class? Damn Lee Sungjong.
 
            For the senior, falling in love was never apart of the plan, but after meeting the junior, love seemed to be the only plan. Nothing else mattered. Not work or school, unless the younger deemed it so. For the instructor, who had fallen for the junior's innocent charms the first day of school, all that mattered was winning over the student's heart before his younger brother did.
 
            Who was that brother?
 
            Kim Myungsoo.
 
            But all of that didn't matter when it happened... The end of happiness, light, and peace..
 
~*~
 
            "Hey, what are you doing in my house!" the eldest man of the circle of friends, who was standing at his front door with the entrance wide open and his hand on the knob still while he gazed out of the hole in which night was seeping in cried out as he slammed the door, waking from his trance or 'zone'.
 
            "Gyu, babe, we were standing out there for thirty minutes and you didn't even invite us in. We kept asking if you were okay but you were just sitting there.." the attractive, greasy and slightly baby-faced Nam Woohyun tried to explain gently as he stood and came over to his secret lover, but was interrupted by his dinosaur hyung.
 
            "So we just barged in without your approval because, hey - Who can deny us?"
 
            "I can." Sunggyu snapped but accepted the warm embrace that his desired lover gave to him, and held on a bit longer than usual, worrying Woohyun for a fraction of a minute before he let it pass through his mind and decided to just have fun for tonight.
 
            "Oh quit being such a grump. We came here to hang out and enjoy ourselves not to get lectured by your outerspacey self." Dongwoo muttered, and Hoya looked at him mouthing 'is that even a word?', the man getting a simple shrug as a reply.
 
            Sunggyu sighed gently as he nodded and went to sit down on the floor, Woohyun sitting down beside him holding his hand, their fingers entwined, and Sungyeol began to fall into a trance as he stared at their hands, loads of emotions billowing out of his heart and flooding into his veins. Anger.. Betrayal.. Sadness.. Anxiety.. 
 
            Perhaps that's how those two felt that fateful night..
 
~*~
 
            The two young men, both of the same blood, continued to rock back and forth in the waiting room of the white and sterile hospital, the carpet underneath Myungsoo's feet making a horrid sound as he passed his shoes over it in order to waste the time, nervousness and horror prickling at the back edges of his mind as he  continued to wonder, who did this? Why? And what do they have against my Sungjong?
 
            Oh yes, they were dating at that time. It was only a week after Myungsoo confessed his feelings to his beloved and Sungjong, surprisingly, had agreed with him, saying that ever since the first day of school when he saw the older he thought that he was the love of his life. Life was perfect, for the both of them.
 
            And then this happened.
 
            "Myungsoo, it's going to be okay." a low voice that had a hint of soft crying murmured as the man placed his hand on his little brother's knee, and the other shrugged the touch off with a disgusted sound and stood, stepping away from the slightly older man as he glared down at him with an expression of disbelief and pure hatred.
 
            "How could you, above all people, feel it necessary to do this, eh?"
 
            "I was just.."
 
            "Did you even think about the possibility that, had I been in Sungjong's situation instead of him, I would have been in that surgical room where those doctors are trying to save my life-"
 
            "I WAS JUST JEALOUS."
 
            "Jealous?"
 
           "Yes, I'm jealous of my own little brother. I'll admit it, I was. And I still kind of am. But I understand now, he's yours and no one will ever take him away. So believe me when I say that I won't try, okay? So why don't we just settle this little feud between us and start worrying about more troubling matters at hand - Such as whether or not we're going to have the chance to see that beautiful young boy walk through those doors again."
 
          Myungsoo winced and nodded, taking Sunggyu's hand and shaking it before turning to look back at the door, clasping his hands above his knees and closing his eyes, praying to god that whoever was in charge during that fateful moment that they please bring his lover back from whatever light he may be attempting to cross into.
 
 
            Two days later and Myungsoo finally got his wish. The doctors had worked hard, harder on this than any other operation, and still there was good and bad news. Every single situation they had at that hospital they couldn't just give news, it had to be themed, Myungsoo thought to himself with venom as he listened to the doctor's words. How can I possibly choose between options like those?
 
            Give him treatment to cure his injuries within his skull,
 
            or
 
            Let his lover die.
 
            Thanks for the easy choice, doc, I'll be sure to look for ya the next time I'm in an accident, Myungsoo hissed within his head as he attempted to go after the man, but was stopped by a familiar hand holding the back of his shirt with a firm grip, and after a few moments of struggling and shouting in defiance, he finally went limp and slunk to the floor. 
 
            Looking up at his brother, he could also see that Sunggyu had a few tears. But was that.. a smile?
 
            "Is this predicament funny to you, Sunggyu? Did the doctor crack a joke? Because if he did, then please. Enlighten me."
 
            "No, no, that's not it, it's just.. if I don't laugh, I'll cry."
 
            "Whatever."
 
            Storming into the hospital room where he saw his Sungjong, he whined gently in the back of his throat and got to his knees beside the bed, closing his eyes and taking one of the younger's hands into his own, kissing the back of it as long as he could without relishing too much in the abnormal icy touch of the pale flesh. Please don't leave me..
 
~*~
 
            "I win!" Woohyun shouted as he got up and did a very strange victory dance that looked more like a monkey trying to throw up a banana peal, and the others who were sitting next to him in an imperfect circle laughed at the quick entertainment before Sunggyu pulled Woohyun down next to him, rolling his eyes but laughing all the same, and Woohyun grinned and kissed the eldest on the cheek. "I know you love me even if you act like I'm annoying."
 
            "Who says I'm acting?"
 
            "Mean!" Woohyun pouted before chuckling and pushing the leader over and sitting on him. "Hah! Look who's mean now!"
 
            "... I'm pretty sure that move will back fire in the next 10 seconds."
 
            As the rest of the group stood up and exited the room before it could become any more awkward, Sungyeol woke up from his daze to find the room empty besides himself while he sat on the couch looking down at a very uncomfortable scene of Woohyun sitting on top of Sunggyu while the eldest smirked and the younger had a confused expression on his face.
 
            "5.. 4.. 3.. 2.." Dongwoo murmured from outside the room and Sungyeol cried out as he ran away from the room, hiding behind the door as he heard a loud shout from Woohyun, signaling his understanding, before his cry was muffled and sounds of emanated from the room.
 
            "Well that's not gross." Sungyeol murmured before turning and walking towards the front door of the house, yet as he was about to open the door he was stopped by his hyung.
 
            "Yeol where are you going?" Dongwoo asked as he tilted his head to the side unintentionally, his eyes narrowing as he looked out the door into the night time skies, and Sungyeol chuckled. 
 
            "Just going out for a breath of fresh air before the house starts to heat up with steam, if you catch my drift." he joked, but inside his mind he was all but cheerful, and Dongwoo chuckled and nodded. 
 
            "Alright, be back soon."
 
            "Neh, hyung." he nodded and grabbed his backpack on the way out the door, walking down the drive way and towards the side walk, his backpack slung over his shoulder and a firm hand holding the strap in place, his gaze dark.
 
            The more you play this game, Sunggyu-hyung, the more you risk your life..
 
~*~
 
            "Please move, please get out the way, please.." Myungsoo's voice drifted throughout the entire hallway of the hospital as he ran towards the room he knew that his heart and soul was kept in a hospital bed stuck with wires and connected to beeping machines. The young man who was eager to see his recovered lover was also trailed by his older brother, whose hands were in his pockets as he calmly moved down the linoleum with head turned down as he calculated the chances of Myungsoo making this first encounter with the maknae of their group after his accident awkward.
 
            "Sungjongie!" the young man cried out quietly as he walked quickly to the youngest's side and took hold of the upraised hand, smiling at the warm face that the maknae was wearing. "I missed you."
 
            "I missed you too, hyung."
 
            Myungsoo stopped his act of about to hug the other and moved away, blinking slowly as he translated what had just happened. "Hyung?"
 
            "You're my hyung, aren't you?" confusion covered the younger's face as he looked at the young man who had alarm written in his eyes. "You're my brother?"
 
            "E-Erm, no.. I'm.. your boyfriend."
 
            "I don't have a boyfriend."
 
            Sunggyu tried desperately to contain the smirk that played on his lips as he heard this line come from the room he was standing outside of, his gaze flitting from nurse to nurse, patient to patient as he observed the entire hallway, hands still in his pockets. How could his younger brother be such an idiot? They had driven the same exact car to the hospital countless times since Sungjong's accident, and yet Myungsoo didn't notice?
 
            He didn't notice the dent in the front headlight from a body impacting the vehicle at full speed?
 
~*~
 
            Sungyeol inhaled deeply as he tried to calm his pained and angered thoughts from what he remembered a year and a half ago, his hands gently touching the gun in his palms, his gaze sweeping over the harsh metallic material, the ammo compartment at the bottom of the weapon, and finally the ammo stationed within the cargo of the weapon as he rolled the dial repeatedly, enjoying the sound of the click click click.
 
            Yes, Sunggyu had been the main reason of Sungjong's amnesia. And the assassin wasn't at all surprised when the leader of their group went after the defenseless maknae romantically, and finally claimed him as his own. 
 
            Yes, Sungyeol was loyal to all of his friends, including Sunggyu. He loved all of his friends as much as he loved his family, because in some cases, they were his family.
 
            But he loved Myungsoo more than Sunggyu. Perhaps that was unreasonable, seeing as they were brothers, but all the same, he  cared for the youngest of the Kims more than the eldest. Because he had to be loyal to his boss.
 
            He had to be loyal to the man who wanted his brother dead.
 
            And with that thought, he prepared  the weapon for its use, the familiar snap of the bullet being put in place in the barrel of the pistol before he stood and made his way back to Kim Sunggyu's home, gun in its holster, holster in its home on the side of his belt, and backpack slung over his shoulder.
 
            I'm sorry, Sunggyu.
 
            You should have listened to Myungsoo when he said he would get Sungjong back.
 
            You should have listened to Myungsoo when he said he would kill you.
 
A/N: Oh my gosh, another chapter in the same day! That's surprising. Usually it takes me hours or days to come up with the continuation of a previous chapter, but this time I had so much muse locked away that I had to let it loose. Which probably means I won't update for the next week. XD I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, I know that I may be rushing things but, in my opinion and writer's mind, I don't think it was going too too fast. But if it is let me know and I'll try and slow it down for everyone. Again, please leave comments - I love feedback ^^ It makes me happy and gives me determination and inspiration to continue on with the story. Thank you for reading, and thank you to all my subscribers - I wouldn't be this far without you.
 
P.S. Okay, I know that the boys may not be acting like how they do in real life, but there's one simple explanation: I love Infinite, I wanted to write a fanfiction about them, sadly - I didn't know their personalities and mannerisms enough. Thus, The Chaser with horribly inaccurate character profiles was born. So, I'm sorry if that annoys you that they don't act like how they should.