Her Highness

If You Love Me

The district boundaries for Gangnam had changed once again and instead of finishing off her last year of high school at Hyundai Senior High School in Sinsa, Serin was required to attend the prestigious Shinhwa High School in Apgujeong. Serin was highly against the idea of switching schools after going to schools in the Sinsa area for most of her life. Besides, she heard that her childhood bully, Haneul, was attending Shinhwa.

Serin grabbed the straps of her backpack and looked up at the school. All around her, girls were hugging each other, happy to see each other again, and guys were bumping shoulders, not as excited as the girls for the new school year. Cherry blossoms were floating gracefully in the wind. Birds were chirping, waking up to another lovely spring morning. The scene was heartwarming but to Serin, it was awkward. 

"Serin-ah, you can do this," Serin whispered comforting words to herself and walked into the school.

"Watch out!" Serin froze as a basketball flew over her head, "Sorry about that." She looked up at a tall, blonde male who was giving her an apologetic smile. His voice was deep and matched his appearance but his gummy smile warmed up his tough look. Soon, five other blonde males came up to her and bowed, shouting apologies.

"It's okay," Serin hesitated then spoke in a quiet voice. She then scurried off to find her locker. The hallways were bustling with life with chit-chat here and there and the occasional rowdy male students.

Serin finally made it to her locker and started opening it right away. Her heavy bag was full of everyday school needs and locker decorations that needed to be put away. She was happy to find that her locker was sparkling clean. She started organizing her books into her shelf.

After touring the school for the rest of the free period, the bell for the first classes of the morning rang throughout the halls. By memory, Serin walked up to the stairs to her homeroom on the second floor.

"Class 3-6?" A woman Serin assumed as the teacher asked her in a kind voice. Serin nodded and entered the classroom. Most of her classmates were still standing, talking with one another while laughing once in a while. There were rows of two desks set up neatly throughout the room. All of them seemed to be taken except for two in the back by the window.

"Hey, take a seat guys. First bell rang," The woman from the doorway, Serin's teacher, entered the classroom a few minutes later after finishing hallway duty. She introduced herself then started taking attendance.

"Yoo Haneul," Serin tensed then scanned the room for a familiar face. A slender arm with perfectly manicured nails rose elegantly in the air, "Here," Serin looked down at her notebook and blinked a couple times to calm herself. She started to tell herself that it could be another Haneul.

"Choi Jonghyun," There were numerous gasps from many of the girls in the room, "He's not here Ms. Kang," Serin silently sighed, recognizing the 'angelic' voice Haneul always used in order to appeal to her teachers.

"Yah yah yah, THE Choi Jonghyun is in OUR class this year?! Daebak!" Many girls started whispering amongst themselves. They were all covering their mouths to hide their giggles. Some were jumpy and others were checking their mirrors. Serin just sat in confusion, curious about the particular student that made all the girls have hearts in their eyes.

"Han Serin," Serin timidly raised her hand. The chatter didn't stop but Serin could feel a gaze on her. Slowly, she turned her head slightly to the right and sure enough, Yoo Haneul was staring straight at her with her cat-like eyes and perfectly shaped eyebrows that were arched to show her surprise.

The teacher had finished with the roll call and everyone had calmed down to listen to the plans for the semester but the tense staring contest between Serin and Haneul had not stopped.

"Alright," Ms. Kang's clap broke the competition between the two girls. Serin quickly looked down at her notebook again while Haneul kept a close watch on her out of the corner of her eye.

---

The bell signaling the end of the first period rang and Ms. Kang left the classroom with a wave.

Serin, having successfully avoided Haneul's gaze the whole period, was doodling in her sketchbook when a hand calmly set itself on her desk. She shifted her gaze upwards and was met with a pair of sharp eyes.

"I see you still like to draw. How lovely," Haneul glanced down at Serin's drawings. Serin clenched her teeth and looked down.

"Follow me for a quick minute," Haneul walked away with a flip of her hair. Serin sighed and stood up.

---

"So, what are you doing here?" Haneul asked while staring out at the tall buildings of Apgujeong. Serin just stood by the door of the rooftop and fidgeted with her hands. Haneul turned around and smiled.

"Come over here. You know I don't bite," Serin sighed and slowly made her way over, "Boundary line changes brought me here."

Haneul nodded and crossed her arms, "You know, it's funny. We used to fight all the time and now, we're standing next to each other, talking like this."

Serin looked down at her shoes, "Is this what you called me up here for? To talk about our fights?"

"No, I came here to remind you of who's still the higher rank around here. I run this school and everyone does what I tell them to do. You're in my territory once again, Han Serin. You listen to me and only me," Haneul's smile turned into a straight line and a serious expression replaced her cheerful glow. She bumped shoulders with Serin as she walked past her towards the door.

"Oh and, don't you even dare talk about me with anyone. We all have our secrets, don't we?" Haneul sent Serin a nasty smirk and slammed the door shut.

Serin grabbed onto the railings with shaky hands. She let out uneven breaths as she tried holding back her tears. She thought the years of torment from Haneul when they were younger were enough. She couldn't believe her luck.

The wind that blew through the city made Serin's tears finally fall. Tears of anger mixed with pain, loneliness and frustration, they all came out. Serin couldn't tell if the buildings were blurry because of her tears or because of the massive headache that was threatening to spread throughout Serin's whole head.

"Umma."

 

---

 

January 6th, 2013

11:21 PM

Listening To: Evening Sky by Ailee
Smelling: Nothing
Watching: Nothing
Waiting For: Definitely not school T-T
Loving: Infinite!
Next POSSIBLE Update: Tuesday January 8th, 2013