Bittersweet

Dreamcatcher
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Yesung walked into the kitchen quietly, trying not to startle Sungmin so early in the morning.  The maknaes would sleep late if they didn’t have a schedule and Sungmin wouldn’t expect him up this early when their plane only arrived in the early morning hours but he found it hard to sleep in his own bed—he hadn’t wanted to wake his boyfriend up in the middle of the night—but he discovered, in only a few weeks, he’d grown accustomed to Sungmin sleeping beside him.  He didn’t even realize it until KRY left for a concert in Hong Kong and he couldn’t manage to fall asleep.  What a cruel trick of fate!  To turn someone who’d been so independent for so long and make him need someone so bad, just to steal him away again.

            If Sungmin didn’t make him so happy whenever he was near, he’d be the most miserable person in all of Korea.  Those negative feelings still found a way to overtake him every now and then, when he was alone.  So he’d avoid being alone until he had no choice about it. 

            Sungmin was stirring a large pot of broth soup and replaced the lid when Yesung leaned on the counter nearby.  “Good morning.”

            When Sungmin turned his direction, a smile spread across his face and his eyes shined in the morning light coming in through the windows.  “Good morning,” he said, walking into Yesung’s open arms and kissed him briefly before resting his head on Yesung’s shoulder.  “I missed you.”

            “So did I,” he admitted, rubbing his hand up and down his boyfriend’s back.

            “Are you hungry?  I just made some rice and soup.”

            “Starving.”

            Sungmin began gathering bowls and utensils as he told Yesung what he’d been up to the last couple days and Yesung emptied the steamed rice into a large bowl and set it on the table.  Just to be able to do something ordinary, like eat breakfast together, did so much to keep his worries and insecurities at bay.

            “Did you do anything interesting?”

            “I got sick on the plane on the way there,” Yesung said, taking a sip of his soup.  “That’s about as interesting as our trip was.”

            Sungmin pouted, which was one of the cutest things he’d ever seen his boyfriend do, and reached over to squeeze his arm.  “Turbulence?”

            He nodded.  “I ate right before we left too.”

            “Sorry.”

            Yesung stirred the soup idly with his spoon and glanced over at Sungmin.  “Will you come with me this next weekend?”

            “To your concert?”

            “Yeah.”

            “Sure, if you’d like.”

            “That will be my last concert, you know.”

            “What?” he asked, looking straight at him.  “I thought SJ was doing a concert the following weekend.”

            “I’m not scheduled to participate in that one since I’m leaving a couple days later.  All my obligations are done after Saturday night.”

            “Next weekend?”

            “Yeah.”

            With how upset he looked, perhaps he should have mentioned it sooner, but he was trying not to discuss leaving every few minutes.  He really wanted to act normal around each other until the last day or two, if possible. 

            “Will I even be back in time to see you off?”

            Yesung shook his head.  “I don’t know.”

            Sungmin opened his mouth to speak and then closed it again.  He proceeded to move the rice around in his bowl before finally giving up on eating anymore and began to clear the table.  Only moments ago, he’d been happy to see Yesung returned and already he’d said something to disturb his boyfriend’s good mood. 

            If he could have reigned in his feelings better and never begun a relationship with him, than at least Sungmin wouldn’t be so upset about parting, he figured.  Why couldn’t he just let things be?  All this was because of him a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter