The Promise

Dreamcatcher
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            The way everyone backstage was running around, Sungmin doubted that Kyuhyun would make it on time to start the concert.  No one seemed to even know if the airplane had landed yet and still the manager insisted that they’d go on as planned, instructing them who would sing Kyuhyun’s lines if he wasn’t there.  The stress levels were beginning to run high and some of the members were beginning to get a little snappy with one another.

            “You haven’t spoken to Kyu at all since we left?” he asked Wook, who was nervously fixing his hair and straightening his clothes one moment, pacing the floor and looking around anxiously the next. 

            Ryeowook shook his head, looking abnormally pale.

            “You don’t think he missed another flight, do you?”

            By the look Ryeowook gave him, he quickly understood that his line of questioning wasn’t helping any.  They then stood still, in silence, watching the backstage crew scramble around them.  The members were checked over, to ensure their microphones were hooked up right, and awaited further instruction.  It was only ten minutes before the show was supposed to start.

            Ryeowook had refused to let go of his cell phone until he absolutely had to leave it and walk onstage.  He held it tight in his hands but had nearly forgotten it was there until it began to vibrate and he nearly dropped it in his haste to look at it.  It was a text message from Kyuhyun. 

            Mischief managed.

            “What does he mean by that?” Sungmin asked.

            Ryeowook ignored his question altogether and began typing.

            Cho Kyuhyun, you are so dead when I get my hands on you!

            Looking forward to it, my love.

            Ryeowook frowned, ready to throw the damn phone in the garbage and be done with it.  But the moment another message came, he had it opened in a flash.

            By the way, you look really y tonight.

            Ryeowook and Sungmin began to scan the area, looking for him.  One of the hair and makeup assistants walked over and told Ryeowook that he was wanted in the dressing room.  He sighed in relief, grabbing Sungmin's hand and squeezing before he walked away.  Sungmin, alone once again, was left alone with his lonliness and regrets.

 

            When Ryeowook approached the dressing room, he found the door locked and had to knock.  One of the assistants asked who it was and if he was alone.  They opened the door a crack and looked around, making sure no one else was there and then opened the door for him, being sure to lock it back up once he was in. 

            Kyuhyun was just getting his suit jacket on and Ryeowook walked over and straightened out his clothing for him. Kyuhyun lightly touched Ryeowook’s waist and tilted his head down to kiss his boyfriend. 

            “Did you really succeed?”

            “He’s getting dressed,” Kyuhyun said, pointing to the back room.  “You have to keep it quiet though until he’s on the stage or you’ll ruin the surprise.  He’s not going to come on until we’re a couple songs in.”

            Ryeowook nodded.  “Why tell me at all?”

            “Well, I owed you an explanation from this morning.”

            “I wasn’t really mad,” Ryeowook claimed, heading to the back while the assistants made sure that Kyuhyun’s microphone was hooked up and ready to go. 

            Yesung had just finished with hair and makeup and was putting on his clothes for the second set of songs, just after their initial entrance onto the stage and after their greeting to the audience. 

            “I’m glad you came, Jongwoon,” Ryeowook smiled, walking over.

            Yesung looked up from making adjustments to his belt.  “Were you worried?”

            Ryeowook nodded.  “Sungmin’s been really upset since we left.  I think he feels bad for leaving like he did.”

            “Yes, well, I’ll punish him later for that.”

            “Wook, I think you ought to punish me later too,” Kyuhyun said, joining them.  “We’d better go now or people will start heading this way to get us and ruin our surprise.  And you have to pretend I missed the flight because I got sick before t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter