What If...

Dreamcatcher
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:  I highly recommend, if you’ve never watched the video of KRY and Sungmin singing What If in concert, that you do so before reading this chapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gks4syZixE4

***

            Sungmin’s heart beat fast as Yesung started to sing What If, his incredible voice enough to make you forget everything else.  He closed his eyes for a moment just to shut out the rest of the world and delve deep into the sound.  Their manager finally had to tap his shoulder to remind him when he needed to get ready to walk out onto the stage. 

            It was such a heart-wrenching song and his own lines rang so true to his own torturous one-sided love.  It was all he could do not to start crying to lyrics he could actually feel, lyrics that he lived, as he sang them.

            “Naegeman juneun georago/Midgo shipeojineun misoyeojjiman/Anin geogejjyo euraedo hokshina/Hamyeonseo...”

            How often had he been unhappy with his own performance onstage?  How many times had his voice faltered over a mere line or two?  But whenever they sang this song together, it was as if he could never fail.  Just their four voices coming together.  He always put everything he had into this one song.  Being able to sing so closely with the one he loved, it meant more to him than any other song.  He may never be able to sing a duet with Yesung, whose voice was so superior to anyone else’s he’d ever heard, but this was all he needed.  If he could give one hundred percent each time they sang this song, then it was enough for him.  Just being invited to join them once again, it meant more than he could say.

            As the song ended, their serious faces broke out into smiles and laughs.  “We may have to rename the group KRYS,” teased Ryeowook.

            “Wait, why do I have to be the last one?” joked Sungmin.

            “Welcome to my world,” Yesung said. 

            “You know what I like best about having Minnie with on tours?” Kyuhyun asked the audience.  “There’s less fighting.  You see, when Ryeowook and Yesung start to get real close and start spending all there time together and quit including me in all their fun, I can just ditch them and have Minnie all to myself,” he said, wrapping an arm around Sungmin, making all the KyuMin fans squeal in delight.

            Ryeowook ran over, wrapping his arm around Sungmin’s arm and pulled him away from Kyuhyun.  “But, since I’m getting a little tired of Yesung and Kyuhyun anyway, I think Sungmin can come to me and you two can have your own private time together.”

            Yesung playfully shoved Ryeowook in Kyuhyun’s direction.  “Since I’m the oldest, I think the duty ought to fall on me to be host to our company for this trip.  You kids go run off and play together,” Yesung told them, grasping his hand and waving his hands at the pouting maknaes as he walked Sungmin down the stage with him.  Sungmin waved back at Kyuhyun and Ryeowook as well, smiling broadly, joining in the fun.

            It was amazing how real it felt sometimes, when they were horsing around on stage.  After all these years together, it was so natural for any of them to hug or touch each other.  It meant nothing.  Then again, it meant everything.  They could never act so natural around each other if there wasn’t a strong friendship between them all.  That’s why he could get away with a flirty comment, a suggestive look, a naughty touch on stage without it having to mean anything.  If he wanted, he could play it up so much more.  Only, that just made the longing more painful when the music ended and the lights turned off.  In private, away from the eyes of their fans, they were all still comfortable around each other but there were still lines you couldn’t cross that meant nothing with thousands of screaming fans cheering you on.

            Yemin existed, but only on the stage.

            “Hey!” Kyuhyun called out.  “Minnie is mine!  Give him back!”

            “Now, now,” Sungmin said, holding up his arms as the trio surrounded him and began tugging every which way.  “I know an excellent way to solve this dilemma.  Since I like to dance, we will hold a contest to see who the best dancer is.  The winner can have me!”

            “Well, this will clearly be me,” Kyuhyun announced.  “I mean, you’ve seen the Bonamana video!”

            “Sliding across the floor is not dancing,” Ryeowook pointed out. 

            “And that isn’t necessarily the type of dancing Sungmin means,” Yesung pointed out.  He wrapped one arm around Sungmin and held his free hand and began slow dancing with him. 

            Oh, god help him!

            Sungmin rested his head on Yesung’s shoulder and sighed.  How he wished this could go on forever.  After each of the trio demonstrated their dancing abilities, Sungmin decided dancing wouldn’t be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter