Chapter Seven

The Kissing game

A few weeks had gone by, but still the memories of that kiss were etched into Sooyoung’s mind.

From what Sooyoung saw it seemed Kai had moved on, continuing with his every day tactics of making out with girls in the school hallways. She tried to ignore the little pang she felt whenever she saw girls shoving their tongues down his throat, but it didn’t make anything better when she remembered that she too had been doing the same on the night of Sunny’s birthday.

The brunette sighed, shaking away the thoughts. ‘It never happened Sooyoung, move on’

It had been a bit awkward for the brunette to ask Myungsoo for their friendship to remain as it was and it broke her heart to see the sad look on his face, he had hugged her when she started to cry. She pulled away embarrassed for soaking his shirt before he pulled her back in for a kiss. The brunette was surprised but she had kissed him back knowing it was all he wanted before they started a fresh.

“Now we’re even” Myungsoo chuckled “As much as I hate to say this but…friends?” he pulled the brunette in again for a hug resting his chin on her head. Sooyoung only nodded her head in reply before more tears trickled down her cheeks. She was mad at herself. Mad for making the sweetest guy sad. Mad at the fact that even after they shared a kiss she had hoped she’d at least feel what she felt with Kai so she could move on...but there was nothing.

On the plus side Tiffany had finally gotten the guts to confess to Luhan and they were officially a couple. Sooyoung smiled at the thought of Tiffany and Luhan dating only to have it falter since it also meant Luhan’s friends hung out with them more. It meant he was around more.

It had been okay at first hanging out with Luhan’s friends. The girls were a lot closer with them now, and although Sooyoung kept to herself the boys never forgot her existence. Tao, Sehun and Baekhyun had become her favourites, always following her like little puppies, the rest worried over the girls like older brothers, but it was quite evident to Sooyoung that some of them wanted more than just friendship with some of her friends. Then there was Kai.

Ever since the boys had gotten closer, Kai became comfortable enough to start bringing his girlfriend of the day along with him. While everyone else hung out, Kai and his Girl would sit on the edges making out.

Sooyoung let out a groan quickly covering when she remembered she was in the library. Instead sighing as she tried to shake away her thoughts. She was tucked away in a corner of the library that always seemed empty, but it could be due to no one knowing it was even there. There was a small desk situated in front of the window, overlooking the school garden in which Sooyoung now sat with her English books sprawled out. It had become her hideout for the past few days, always excusing herself to her friends with ‘homework’. It wasn’t easy what with the three pups always wanting to tag along, but after promising them an ice-cream stop after school they always agreed to let her go on her own.

The brunette sighed again as she twirled her pencil. ‘Why is English so hard?’ She lied to herself, trying to rid herself of any thoughts of Kai. Resting her head on her arm Sooyoung watched as the words on her textbooks turned into a page of blurred lines, sleep taking the better of her.

Kai pulled away from the girl he had just been making out with slightly gasping for air.

“Thanks oppa” she smiled fixing her hair and uniform “that was fun” standing the girl pecked his lips before sauntering out of the library.

Kai watched the girls retreating back, how they’d even managed to make out in the library without being caught was beyond his knowledge. He groaned before flopping down onto the couch. He felt empty. The past few weeks since the sleepover had been awkward and most of it had been due to the fact that he couldn’t get rid of the memories of his kiss with Sooyoung. Not only had his hyung started dating Tiffany but his entire group of friends hung out with the rest of the girls too. That meant ‘her’ too.

He’d noticed that Tao, Baekhyun and Sehun had gotten really close with her and he didn’t know why it irked him so much when they clung to her or used her lap to nap on. And for some reason he had hoped she’d react to him making out with various girls, instead it seemed she tried to avoid the group more lately, or was she avoiding him? ‘You’re jealous Kai, admit it’

The dark haired boy scoffed, wondering where his mind had dug up that idea from. He was not jealous, in fact why should he be jealous?

Sitting up from the couch Kai tried his best to fix his messed hair and uniform. He was about to leave when something shiny in the corner caught his eye. Heading towards the object Kai picked up what looked like a small ring attached to a chain. Taking a closer look at the ring as he straightened up he could see there was a letter ‘C’ engraved on the inside of the ring.

Placing the ring into his pocket Kai turned to exit the library when he saw someone sleeping on a desk in front of a window he hadn’t noticed. From where he stood the dark haired boy could see out to the schools garden, but he was more focused on the sleeping figure of a girl.

Kai smiled contemplating if he had already made out with this girl before, but the odds were that she could be a new student. He watched her sleeping peacefully, the slight rise and fall of her shoulders as she breathed. He walked closer to her wanting to touch the soft curls of her hair that draped over her back. Kai’s heart did a weird flip as he saw the girls face .It was her.

She looked tired and exhausted, and looking at the books sprawled on the desk Kai could tell she’d been studying for English. ‘So this is where you’ve been hiding’ he gently her hair, careful not to wake her and as if she’d sensed it Kai saw a hint of a smile appear on her face. Pulling his hand away Kai ran his hand through his hair out of frustration ‘What are you doing Kai? And before he could stop himself he’d leant down to kiss her forehead, leaving before she could wake up.

Sooyoung woke up to the sound of a bell. She got up groggily before flinching a bit at her now sore and stiff neck. Looking at her watch the brunette’s eyes widened.  School had just finished which meant she had slept through her last classes of the day. Packing her things Sooyoung fished out her phone to find various missed calls and texts, most of them from her three pups and Yoona. Groaning Sooyoung made a mad dash out of the library heading towards the schools front gate where the rest were now waiting for her.

“Yah where were you?” Yoona asked with a look of slight worry on her face.

Trying to catch her breath as she got closer to the group Sooyoung looked at everyone apologetically before she felt the familiar weight of arms wrap around her.

“Noona we were worried” the three said in unison.

“I’m sorry, I kinda fell asleep” she replied patting the three boys on their heads.

“Can we go for ice-cream now?”

The brunette looked at the pair, resisting the urge to pinch their adorable faces as they looked at her with matching puppy eyes.

Smiling she nodded her head. “Sure”

Before Yoona could even attempt to pull her best friend away from the three boys they’d already attached themselves to her arms and dragged her away, Sooyoung looking over her shoulder with an apologetic look to her best friend.

“Yahhhh” Yoona yelled as they continued walking. “She’s my best friend!!!”

The rest could only laugh as Yoona caught up to the lot, shoving off the three boys before linking arms with her best friend.

...

The group found themselves seated in a large corner booth in Yung’s Ice-cream parlour waiting for a staff member to take their order.

“Youngie where were you? You missed our last two classes” Yoona asked.

“I was in the library studying and I fell asleep.” She sheepishly answered.

“Oh yeah, noona we have a camp coming up too” Baekhyun interrupted taking the vacant seat next to Sooyoung. Yoona had already occupied the other leaving a pouting Tao and Sehun sitting across the brunette.

“A camp?” the brunette looked at the group a bit surprised.

“Yeah! Sounds cool right?” Sehun answered.

The brunette nodded her head slightly before turning and whispering to Yoona.

“T-There’s no lake right?”

Before Yoona could answer Tao and the others had started boasting about looking forward to kayaking and swimming in the lake their teacher had mentioned.

Yoona looked at her best friend worriedly, who’d turned slightly pale beside her. Before they’d known the others Sooyoung and Yoona’s parents had planned a camping trip for the girls back when they were six.

(Yoona)-Flashback:

There was a lake at the camp and both the girls had grown fond of the lake during their time there, enjoying the idea of putting their feet in as they sat on the edge but never actually swimming. Yoona loved to swim but at the age of six she’d known of Sooyoung’s fear of having to swim. Sooyoung herself thought it ridiculous that her name also meant swimming.

Worse came to worse one day when they had been playing near the lake and they’d met two little boys named Kyuhyun and Donghae. They’d been swimming while Sooyoung watched from her usual spot her feet floating in the water. Yoona could still remember that day as if it had happened yesterday. She remembered Sooyoung sitting on the edge of the lake smiling at her; she’d waved at the smiling brunette before diving under to swim closer to the brunette. When Yoona had emerged from the water she wiped her face with her hands only to find a laughing Kyuhyun but there was no Sooyoung.

“Where’s Sooyoung” Although Yoona asked the laughing boy, she could already tell from the slightly distraught look on Donghae’s face and the sour feeling in her stomach that Kyuhyun had something to do with it.

The boy continued to laugh. Yoona was furious.

“WHERE IS SHE YOU IDIOT!!!!!?”

Kyuhyun stopped laughing only pointing towards the water with a look of worry slowly appearing on his face.

“SHE CAN’T SWIM!!!!!! HOW LONG HAS SHE BEEN UNDER WATER!!!?” Yoona shrieked desperately diving under to look for her friend. Emerging she yelled at Donghae.

“DONGHAE RUN BACK TO OUR CAMPSITE AND GET HER BROTHER. NOW!!!”

Donghae shook his head quickly exiting the lake as he ran his fastest towards the girls’ campsite. Yoona and Kyuhyun continued to desperately search for the submerged brunette. Yoona had started crying, trying to look for her best friend when she heard a splash and turned in time to see Siwon, Sooyoung’s older brother carrying a limp Sooyoung out of the water.

She couldn’t remember how she’d gotten out of the lake so fast, but she remembered she had somehow ended up next to Sooyoung holding her hand as Siwon desperately pumped her chest.

“DAMN IT!! Youngie c’mon BREATHE!” Siwon was frustrated but continued to pump his little sister’s chest.

Yoona continued to cry when her friend remained limp, looking up with a blurred vision she saw her parents as well as Sooyoung’s rushing towards them causing a commotion as more people gathered. Their mums were shrieking causing the small Yoona to cry more. Sooyoung’s dad pushed Siwon out of the way as he performed CPR on his daughter while Yoona’s dad tried to calm and hold back the shrieking mothers. Siwon raked his hand through his hair a distressed look plastered on his face before picking up the crying Yoona to give his dad some space.

“Youngie BREATHE!!” her dad yelled breathing air into her.

“O-oppa… Soo..” Yoona couldn’t finish her sentence before she burst into another round of tears.

“Shhh..She’s going to be okay” Siwon answered trying to calm the little six year old.

They turned when they heard coughing, Yoona instantly wriggling out of Siwon’s arms. Sooyoung’s dad turned the little brunette on her side as she started to cough out the water. Yoona was beside her instantly still crying as the exhausted brunette tried to sit and hugged her crying best friend.

“Yoong?”

Yoona turned smiling at the brunette who now wore a worried expression herself.

“Don’t worry I’ll just excuse myself from those activities” Sooyoung whispered as she smiled at Yoona knowing her best friend was remembering an old memory they’d kept secret from the rest of their friends.

Kai had zoned out of the conversation happening between his friends and the girls, his attention focusing on the two girls who’d become awfully quiet. He watched as the brunette excused herself for the bathroom she had seemed to go pale when Tao mentioned the lake, but oddly Yoona had zoned out too with a look of fear on her face, the brunette whispering to her as if to reassure her about something.

‘Maybe Yoona had a fear of lakes and swimming?’ Kai thought.

Sooyoung walked out of the bathroom having calmed herself, yet she admitted in some ways she was worried about Yoona. Although the memory was still clear to her she was unconscious for most of it- only remembering Yoona waving at her before everything went black and she was wrapped in coldness. She was sure it wouldn’t compare to what a 6 year old Yoona had been feeling, seeing her best friend lifeless. Sighing the brunette continued down the narrow hallway back to their booth only to run head first into something, or someone as she looked up to see Kai.

“Uh sorry” She quickly dodged the boy walking past him.

Kai didn’t know how but the next thing he knew he’d grabbed the brunette by the waist and pinned her against the wall. She yelped a little shutting her eyes tight afraid to look at him.

“I’m not going to hurt you”

Sooyoung’s heart almost ached, she wasn’t so sure but it was almost as if he felt hurt that she’d be afraid of him. Hesitantly she opened her eyes to meet his gaze.

“You’re avoiding me” He stated it as a fact. Sooyoung only turned her head towards the end of the hallway almost as if hoping one of the others would come.

She stayed quiet.

“If it was the kiss, don’t worry about it, it was just a game right?” He chuckled but the brunette couldn’t say his eyes were telling her the same thing.

“N-no” She whispered back. “I-I’ve just been stacked with homework” She lied.

“Then why is it so easy for you to get along with Sehun, Tao and Baekhyun and yet you don’t even say hi to me?”

She was furious. ‘So somehow this is my fault?’ “Well maybe if you weren’t busy stuffing your tongue down some other girls’ throat I’d be able to say hi!”

Kai chuckled at the brunette’s reaction. “Cute, you’re jealous?” He smirked leaning closer to the brunette.

Sooyoung could not believe how cocky he was. “What?! Me, Jealous?” She laughed in his face turning her head away.

The dark haired boy tilted her head so she was facing him again a sly smirk plastered on his face. Brushing her fringe to the side with his fingers he leant in and gently kissed her forehead giving her a cheeky yet toothy grin as he pulled away.

The brunette had a look of pure shock on her face as she turned various shades of red slightly shoving the boy off of her as she ran back to their booth.

Kai leant against the wall sighing.

Their thoughts were in a mess:

She blamed the sleepover, He blamed the sleepover,

‘It was that games fault’ she thought.   

‘Yeah, it had to be that game’ he thought.

‘Him and me?’

‘Me and her?’

‘I think I’m….but I can’t be it was only a game’

‘Call me crazy, but I think I’m…with her? But it was only a stupid game…’

“Something wrong Youngie”

“Oh no” She shook her head smiling at Yoona before she dug into her ice-cream to drown out any thoughts of the lake but more importantly Kai.

_____________________________________________________________________________

a/n: WAAAHHHHH hello my beautiful substers >.< I thought since more ideas started to suddenly appear in my head out of nowhere for this fic, I might as well make it a slightly longer fic :D THANKS FOR WAITING PATIENTLY- You's are AWESOME the title doesn't relate but since the earlier chapter was 'wow' I just had to put a 'fantastic baby' after it lol happy readings!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes theyre going on camp!!! :P

Please do comment it'll be a great help towards inspiring me hhe THANK YOU

and before I forget -throws younglove everywhere-