Truth Be Told

Remember

"Action!"
I sighed, feeling bored. Junghwan wouldn't allow me to watch during his filming. He said he wanted me to watch the real thing when the episode airs. Before he started filming, we were having fun. Well, at least I was. I used the makeup around me and started applying it to his face. He looked like a demon clown when I was done. For a short moment, everything was almost normal. Then when he really started his makeup, he became the timid Junghwan that I've known for the past week. I wondered to myself why he was acting so strange. I'm going to find out what's going on, I promised myself.
"And cut!" The director's voice sounded throughout the set.
"Come on." Junghwan pulled my hand and quickly led me into his dressing room. He started gathering his things, preparing to leave. He immediately called his manager to come pick us up.
"Why are you in such a rush?"
"I just want to get out of here." He smiled softly at me. "I'm hungry."
I nodded and stood next to him, waiting. Then the door swung open.

"Deullie!" My stomach dropped at the sound of her voice. What was she doing here? "Baby, where have you been?"
"Baby?" Rena looked at me accusingy. "Is this the person who has been calling you?"
"Annyeonghaseyo! Sarang-imnida!" She smiled happily.
Rena only looked at me. Hurt and betrayal filled her eyes. "Who is she?"
"I'm his girlfriend, silly!"
I flinched when I heard those words. Rena just stood motionless, mouth slightly agape. Tears lined the bottom of her eyes, threatening to gush out.
"Sarang," I sighed. "Give us a minute, please."
"O-okay." She silently left the room. Her absence held an awkward yet crushing feeling. I looked in Rena's eyes. She was staring off into space.
"Who is she, Junghwan?" She asked in a broken whisper.
I looked to the floor and in a small voice, I told the truth. "Sarang... Is my girlfriend."
A tear slid down her face. "...Girlfriend."
"Yes. For a while now." I watched as she struggled to breathe. "And I think I..."
I was unable to finish that next sentence, for fear of how she'll react.
"You think you what?"
"I think I..."
She waited for my answer. When I didn't speak, she raised her voice. "What, Junghwan?! You've already hurt me this much, just say it!"
Those words cut through me like a knife. I wish there was an easier way to do this. I took a deep breath. "I think I... Love her."
She exhaled and more tears slipped out. She began shaking her head. Rena slowly fell to her knees, a torn expression on her face. I wanted to reach out to her and apologize for breaking my promise. I wanted to tell her to find someone better than me, someone who wouldn't make her cry like I did.
A small whimper escaped her lips. She looked up at me through tear-filled eyes. She looked away again, her muffled sobs ringing in my ears, making me wish I could disappear. Suddenly, she looked back up to me, a more angry expression on her face. Despite her anger, I could see the devastating sadness in her eyes. I felt like I just killed someone.
Regret filled my heart. I attempted to pull her into a hug. When she pulled away, I felt a stabbing pain in my chest.
"I'm sorry," I managed to choke out. My arms were still reaching for her. They felt heavy and empty when she stood from the floor and ran from me.
I needed to explain. I need her to know that this isn't her fault. Quickly, I followed her out of the room. When I entered the hall, Jinyoung was holding her. She clung to onto his clothing for support.
"What's going on?" He asked, slight accusation in his voice.
"I told the truth."
"Junghwan." He shook his head. The disappointment in his voice tore me up.
"Rena, let me explain." Once again I tried reaching for her.
She turned her back to me, burying her head in Jinyoung's chest. His hold on her tightened and he took a step back. He held her protectively, keeping me from being able to hurt her again.
My heart sank. I destroyed her. I know I did. The self-hatred flooded me, making me feel weak. I nodded, accepting defeat. I turned around and walked back into the dressing room in a daze.
What did I just do?