Apple and Cinnamon

Assonance

Chapter Four – Apple and Cinnamon

“But we’re locked in.” Jonghyun spoke motionlessly, as if he was talking to a dim-witted fool. “I tried to wake you up but you were literally unconscious.” He spat scornfully as he gave her the dirty look. Renee continued to blink rapidly, obviously unaware of her situation until her sleepiness finally drowned away, causing her thinking to become clearer.

“Oh…wait…locked?! Why?! Oh my God! I’m so dead! She’s going to kill me.” Renee started to panic as she searched for her mobile, just to be disappointed by the fact that it had no battery. “What am I going to do?” She whined as she gave herself a light slap on the face, hoping to wake up from her little dream.

“Stop whining. Who told you to sleep anyways?” He sighed as he fiddled with his mobile unknowingly, which also happened to have no battery.

“Hey! I didn’t WANT to stay here for your information!” She gritted her teeth as his comments aggravated her even more. The two went as far away from each other as the studio allowed them. It was as if there was some sort of repelling force between them, making it impossible for them to be close.

-

Afraid that the other would do something inappropriate to them, they stayed up all night. Yet funnily enough, they shared the same thought: ‘Who the hell would want to do something inappropriate to him/her?’

When silence daunted upon them, both of them felt uneasy. Occasionally, they would catch a glimpse of the other giving them the scornful glare, but restrained themselves from creating another argument.

Jonghyun continued to sing and somehow, Renee started to admire his talent. She was captivated by the emotions within his voice. It was sincere, gentle and last but not least, free like the wind. Just like how the wind was able to carry light weighted objects back and forth, his voice could do that with her soul, pulling her into a reverie. However, it didn’t take long before he realised that she was staring intently at him.

“What are you looking at?” Jonghyun scoffed which made Renee twinge. 

“Who would want to look at you? I was just staring into space. Don’t think too highly of yourself.” Her face scrunched as she shook her head disapprovingly, denying the fact that she was somewhat attracted to him.

“You know, we hardly even know each other, yet every time we see each other we’re already bickering. Let’s stop and be friends. I mean, we’re stuck here and there are still a couple of hours until they open the door for us.” He tried to compromise, but Renee wasn’t willing to back down just because she admired his musical talents.

“We kept bickering because you’re always in a mood with me! Let’s just do it the old fashion way. Split this studio in half!” Her voice rose with a demanding tone to it, leading Jonghyun to be more exasperated than before. The studio was already divided in half the moment they stepped in, but the fact Renee mentioned it just added another touch of hatefulness into the atmosphere.

“Me…WHAT?! Look, I’m trying to negotiate here.” He gritted his teeth to restrain himself from exploding his anger on her.

“So?” Her word was like a pair of scissors, cutting the rope which tied his anger and friendliness together, separating the two, allowing anger the overthrow the friendliness within him.

“You know what. Forget it! Let’s do it your way.” He took his shoe off and placed it carefully onto the floor, as if it so valuable that he didn’t want to damage it in any way or form. “This shoe will be our barrier. You cannot step anywhere beyond the shoe, because that would be trespassing. Comprehend? This is my side.” He pointed to the flooring that was on ‘his side’, treating her like a seven year old, who wouldn’t be able to understand if he used a more complicate form of language.

“Good and I hope you’ll do the same too.” She smiled sarcastically before attempting to move further away from ‘his side’.

“Where do you think you’re going? I’m not done yet!” He complained as he grabbed hold of her arm, and yanked with so much force that she fell backwards. He eyes suddenly widened in horror as he reached his arms out to catch her.

Fortunately, Jonghyun was able to catch her just in time. However, he couldn’t help but fall onto his knees due to the impact. In the end, the whole image appeared as if it was a couple looking at the stars in the night, in a field or a meadow.

A tint of red surfaced on their cheeks. The distinctive redness seemed to have been misplaced on their flawless complexion. Not daring to move or speak, they stayed like that until they heard someone coughing at the door.

Renee’s eyes bulged as if it was about to burst when she saw Steph standing by the door, smirking at her. In a hurried manner, she scurried onto her two feet to greet her.

“If I knew you two was having so much fun I wouldn’t have come.” Steph teased which made Renee blush even harder. Steph motioned with her hand, signalling that it was time to go home. Obediently, Renee approached her whilst her head was down due to embarrassment.

“Jonghyun-shi, you should get some rest too, Music Bank in a few hours.” Steph winked before trotting off laughing, leaving behind a dumbstruck and paranoid Jonghyun.

--------------

Sungmin entered the singing practice room after recording at the radio station. Once he entered, a pleasant melody caught his attention along with a sweet, soothing voice. Yet, even though the voice was sweet, he could sense traces of sorrow and melancholy trailing within the words.

Let’s not get started with the he said, she said

Sometimes it just doesn’t go as planned.

Let’s not get started with the he said, she said

Sometimes it just doesn’t go as planned.

Started out so simple and innocent

So simple and innocent

So simple and innocent

So simple and innocent

Chemistry like apple and cinnamon

Like apple and cinnamon

Like apple and cinnamon

Like apple and cinnamon

---

Once the song finished, he applauded with his heart-warming smile which instantly caused Anna’s cheeks to flush.

“When did you arrive?” Anna questioned shyly which made her seem even more adorable than she already was.

“Just a few moments ago. I guess you were too absorbed with your song. You were amazing.” He praised, trying not to trouble himself by true meaning of those lyrics.

“T-thanks.”

“Didn’t you say that people also called you Apple? So, if you’re Apple, then am I cinnamon?” Slowly, he s his arms around her waist from behind, whilst she rested her head against his chest.

“Maybe, but I hope we don’t end up like the lyrics in the song. ‘I can’t believe that you and me were falling out of love and everybody used to be so envious of us.’” She sighed in a distressed tone of voice which worried Sungmin.

“Definitely not! They’ll be envious of us, but we won’t fall out. Never. Promise me?” Tightly, he held her, afraid that she would leave him and never return; a thought which he forbid himself to think.

Subtly, she turned around to face him with her timid attitude. “I don’t think I can promise you that. How can we say ‘never’ so easily? Have you even thought about the public, your fans, and the company and…” She paused a while as she stared intently into his eyes before she continued. “Sunny. Can you push all those things away?”

“Why did you bring Sunny up? I don’t like her and you know that.” He protested in a slightly irritated manner. He glanced at her in disbelief as he gritted his teeth. He loathed the fact that she would actually doubt his love for her, he absolutely detested it.

“I know that, but do the public? Everyone thinks you two are a couple. What would happen when they realise that there’s another girl in your life? Sungmin, you know why artists don’t date. You know the consequences, so why…”

“Just because I’m an idol, is it wrong to love? Am I not human?” Then, he grabbed her hand to place it against his chest. “This is beating. I’m a full flesh human, not a robot. So what if this creates a riot? Then what? I will never change because I am who I am. My fans like me because I am who I am, not because I put on some freak show for them.”

-

Outside, Sunny overheard every word they said. For some reason, even though she knew her scandal with Sungmin was fake, her heart felt slightly heavier when they mentioned her name. She didn’t know how to feel, or what to think since she acknowledged the fact that they were dating for a long time. So why was she eavesdropping on them? They were like apple and cinnamon, so she shouldn’t try to wreck their relationship should she? Especially since, in the end, it would be her who would have to carry the name of being the ‘third person’ in the relationship.

-----------------------------------

AT THE HEADQUARTERS

-----------------------------------

Mr Hiew tapped his pen against his desk whilst he was preparing his lecture. He shot her a displeasing glare as if she was an eyesore to his eyes, giving her discomfort.

“So, why didn’t you kill him?” His voice destroyed the distorted silence within the room. It was as if her environment suddenly changed, as if she was just another stranger trying to familiarise with the place again.

“I’m sorry sir.” She bowed respectively, even though she knew that he had the urge to kill her instantly on the spot.

----------------

FLASHBACK

----------------

Kira dragged Kyuhyun’s limp body to the basement, because she was certain that no one went there anymore. When she was all prepared to take his life away, he called her name which made her hesitant.

“Idiot. I’m about to kill you, so shut up.” She muttered with her troubled expression. It was the first time that she didn’t kill the victim in her first attempt. She was known for giving victims the swift, painless death, so why couldn’t she do it to him?

“I’m an idiot, aren’t I? Stupidly, I fell in love with you.” He murmured unconsciously with his foolish giggle. Kira bent her knees and stared at him blankly.

“Stop mocking me!” She exclaimed. “Could it be that the medicine is out of date? Hey! Are you awake? Or are you trying to be funny?!” She tried kicking him, but still no response. “Hey, I’m about to kill you. If you’re awake, you can run you know.” Instead of answering her, he pulled her towards him, closing the gap between them.

Her entire body froze for that instant. Her breathing stopped, but she could still feel her heart pounding strongly. When she finally managed to push him away from her, she tried to kill him again but she just couldn’t.

-----------------------

END FLASHBACK

-----------------------

“Did you somehow gain a heart after a few conversations with those pathetic people? You did very well with the trainee. Why can’t you do it again? Did you forget that your friend’s life is depending on you?!” He slammed his palm onto his desk, causing it’s vibration to ring in her ears, giving her a fright.

“Please give me the medicine. I promise I won’t fail the next time.” She tried to suppress her fear for him, but she knew she failed once she saw the slanted smile on his face. She knew he saw straight through her.

“And what if there wouldn’t be a next time? I didn’t send those three for no reason you know. I knew this day would come where you’d betray me.” He spoke comprehensively before taking a sip of his coffee.

“But they don’t know your plans as well as I do, do they? You need me because I can guarantee you success.” She persuaded.

“Are you trying to threaten me back?” He asked suspiciously with a crocked eyebrow.

“I wouldn’t dare to. I only want to help you succeed.”

“The things you would do for a little box of medicine. You fail again then I’ll make sure you never see daylight again.” He threatened with his deathly glare. “This time, I want you to make some ‘negative news’. I’ve heard that fans these days are really extreme. Use that to destroy the company.” He chuckled manically, before taking out a little bottle which was no larger than 5cm in length and 1cm in width, containing a clear coloured liquid. “This is your last chance.” He added before she left his office with the medicine.

----------

Steph was striding up the stairs to get to her dorm, but when she saw that someone what standing in front of their door, she immediately ran for her life in the other direction because it was Ryeowook.

“Hey! Stop right there!” He yelled as he chased after her like a police trying to catch a criminal.

They ran their hearts out, but eventually he caught up with her, pulling her closer to him.

“Let go!” She decreed, but he simply ignored her command. Instead, he moved closer to her. “Ya! What do you want?!” She bellowed with annoyance.

His hand moved closer to her neck, and automatically she backed away until her back was against the wall. His eyes narrowed when he finally found the item that he was searching for. Slowly, his hand crept closer to pull her necklace out before swaying it in front of her eyes.

“It is you. Why did you lie?” He asked with a dry voice, which startled her since it sounded as if it was going to crack.

“Give it back to me.” She tried to snatch it back, but she wasn’t quick enough.

He dug into his pockets to pull out his set of keys, where one of the key rings held the same pendant the necklace did; a crimson balloon with a yellow strip around the middle.

“If you hate me so much, then why are you still wearing it?!”