Escape

Assonance

 

“You’re leaving?!” They gasped in unison. Steph bit her bottom lips after observing their reaction, as if she’d said something wrong.

 

“Yes, I’m leaving tonight.”

 

“But it’s the Super Show II tonight!” Anna exclaimed.

 

“I know,” she smiled innocently.

 

“B-but who’s going to look after you?” Renee stammered with eyes widened in shock. “You’re taking me with you right?”

 

“I’m old enough to take care of myself you know! You need to stay here,” Steph protested. “Besides, Seulong oppa is coming with me.”

 

“Why can’t you just stay?” Karen whined as she pouted innocently.

 

“I nearly just got killed. I’ll rather die from a horrible disease than be murdered by the Headquarters. Besides, I don’t want to stay here. You guys are too overprotective now!” she teased as she pinched Renee’s cheek, since Renee had been freaking over her ever since the day she found out about Steph’s illness.

 

“Be serious!” Renee ordered as she flung Steph’s hand away from her cheek.

 

“Yes ma’am! Since when did you become the boss of me? But I’m serious too. You better get back with Jonghyun. He’s a nice guy you know,” Steph smoothly changed the subject, nudging her from the side.

 

“UNNIE! You die in England then I’ll never forgive you!” Renee put on her stern face which surprised everyone, since Renee was known for her childish behaviour amongst them. “Don’t…die.” There was a slight hesitation before she could actually say that word - A word which many humans were naturally fearful of.

 

“I’m sorry Renee. I’ll try my best not to die,” she tried to smile in order to lift the mood up, but simply failed as she noticed the gloomy faces pasted on their faces.

 

Kira just stared from the side curiously, observing every single move the others made – something was not right.

 

---

 

It was Super Junior’s first performance of Super Show II, yet Kira had not arrived yet enough though she’s promised to do so.

 

“I’ve found Anna! But...where’s Kira?” Sungmin asked the members with his furrowed eyebrows. “Anna said she’ll be out for a while, but she’s been gone for half an hour!”

 

“Hyung, don’t worry about her. She’ll be fine,” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Hey, I thought you liked her. Aren’t you worried?”

 

“I don’t care about her anymore. It’s not like there was anything between us anyways,” the magnae sighed dully whilst all the other member’s attention was focused on him. However, even though he said such words, he couldn’t help but wonder what Kira was up to.

 

---

 

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELKTGbyjAtM]

 

Kira was about to enter the stadium with Anna until she heard a familiar sound. Even though it had a different feel to it, it was the same song which was being played by the harmonica. Her curiosity led her parting with Anna to find the owner of the melody.

 

Her ears led her to the field where a tall silhouette stood, playing the beautiful instrument gracefully. She was curious who the person was, yet something deep inside her told her that she wasn’t meant to be there.

 

“Long time no see, Kira,” the dark shadow turned around, causing Kira’s eyes to widen in shock. “And what kind of reaction was that? I thought you liked me.”

 

“Lee...Jonghyun?”

 

“So, you still remember me, that’s good to know,” he smiled, but there was something strange about him. There was something about him which made it difficult for Kira trust him. Following her instincts, she began to run, but she was too slow as Jonghyun was already right in front of her.

 

“Is that anyway to greet a friend? Don’t you remember what you did to me...how long was it? Three years ago? My heart – it was you who took it away.”

 

“H-how did you become so fast?” she stammered in horror as she glanced at him from head to toe.

 

“What’s this? Kira – our top assassin is scared of someone like me? What has that Kyuhyun done to you? We need you in top shape for our finale tonight!” he laughed with a menace tone.  

 

Kira tried to run away, hoping she would be able to escape, because Jonghyun was one of the many people who she could not fight.

 

------------------------------------

FLASHBACK

------------------------------------

 

“Kira, stop it,” Jonghyun whispered, trying to suppress his anger down as he watched how Kira abused his friend.

 

“I was given the order. This traitor here must die today,” she pointed the knife at the fragile man in front of her, who was covered in none other than his own blood.

 

“Kira, I beg of you. Seeing how we’ve been partners for so long, can’t you at least see this as a favour from me? I’ll be responsible for it! Please, spare him,” he kneeled down before her, begging her to agree.

 

“You’ll be responsible for it?” she finally turned her gaze to Jonghyun, staring down at him as if he was inferior. “I’ll spare him, if only you give something to the Headquarters. If you do so, then at least I can give something to Mr Hiew. You know how it goes,” she smirked with her head tilted.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Last week, they asked me to try to do a few experiments. I need a specimen.”

 

“D-don’t do it...” the friend cried in despair.

 

“What would happen to me?” Jonghyun questioned hesitantly.

 

“You will have your heart removed.”

 

-------------------------

END FLASHBACK

-------------------------

 

“I’m sorry, Kira,” he whispered in her ear before putting the white cloth covered with an anaesthetic over her nose and mouth, causing her to lose consciousness.

 

--------------------------

 

It was time for Ryeowook’s solo performance of Insomnia. Once Ryeowook was on the stage, screams roared within the stadium, chanting his name in every direction. It was dark, yet the neon banners prevailed within the darkness, telling him that he had many supporters there with him, anticipating on his performance.

 

“Do you think she’ll at least watch his performance before she goes?” Shindong sighed as he paced up and down the corridor.

Leeteuk simply shrugged as he took a glance at the stage. “Everything seems to just blunder into each other. I can’t even seem to know what’s right or wrong anymore.”

 

Suddenly, a little boy entered, holding a sapphire balloon filled with helium and at the end of the string tied a blue envelope which the boy secured safely in his petit hands.

 

Slowly, Sungmin approached him and bent to his eye level.

 

“Why are you here little boy? We’re a bit busy at the moment preparing for our performance. Can you please wait outside?” Sungmin told him politely, but the boy just shook his head.

 

“Noona said I need to give this to Ryeowook hyung before she’ll let me see Taeyeon noona,” the little boy sulked, causing Leeteuk to crook an eyebrow.

 

“Which noona?” he enquired curiously.

 

“Steph noona. After I give this to him, Karen noona will then introduce me to Taeyeon noona,” he squealed excitedly whilst his eyes sparkled in delight once he mentioned Taeyeon’s name.

 

The boys seated the little boy in the corner until Ryeowook exited the stage, breathing in exhaustion. Once he arrived in the dressing room, the little boy immediately caught his eye.

 

“Ryeowook hyung!” the boy greeted cheerfully. “This is for you!” He handed him the balloon with the envelope. “Don’t read the letter until the show is over.”

 

“Oh, thank you,” Ryeowook ruffled the little boy’s hair, slightly confused why the staffs let him into the dressing room in the first place. “But why can’t I read it now? I have some time.”

 

“DON’T! Or otherwise noona will get very angry! You can’t read it now! You mustn’t! Please wait until the show is over,” the boy insisted, and Ryeowook finally gave in. “They’re watching,” he whispered before disappearing from Ryeowook’s sight, leaving him extremely puzzled.

 

Once the show was over, all the staffs and members got onto a van and headed home. All members took the opportunity to sleep in the car. However, Ryeowook decided the read his letter from his ‘fan’ first.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWctnP0bvqA&feature=related]

 

He paused once he read his name on the first line of the letter, recognising the familiar handwriting. He knew that for her to actually write a letter instead of telling him it in person, there had to be something wrong. He swiftly took the letter out from the envelope to read.

 

Shaking rapidly, he held the thin piece of paper between his fingers. With the urge of shredding the paper to tiny pieces as the words sunk in, but at the same time he acknowledged the importance of the paper – it was the only thing left of her.

 

He read the last two paragraphs until it was engraved into his brain, making him realise the reality of his pathetic life.

 

-

 

Sometimes, I wonder. How much more must I love you to give you the love you deserve? How much more must I give to take your pain away? Then I realise...all was useless, because I’m the one causing you all the pain which you shouldn’t feel in the first place. I’m...really sorry, but really thankful at the same time.

 

You were like the balloon filled with helium, and I was like the string which tied you down to a pole – preventing you from flying away. Now, it’s time for a pair of scissors to separate the two.

So the balloon can fly.

 

-

 

‘So the balloon can fly’ - That last sentence echoed repeatedly in his mind. He whispered that line to himself, until it seemed to be some kind of joke to him that was able to make him giggle bitterly.

 

When the crystals formed at the rim of his eyes, he took a pen from his bag and wrote:

                              

‘You were right that I was the balloon filled with helium, but you weren’t the string holding me down. You were the helium in this balloon. Without you, this balloon will fall.’

 

After writing those words, tears unwillingly fell due to his aching heart. His brain began to go haywire as if it was trying to find a way to hide itself.

 

“Come here our Ryeongoo,” Leeteuk smiled sympathetically as he held him in his arms. “No matter what happens, we’ll all be here for you.”

 

Leeteuk’s words only caused Ryeowook to cry louder and louder. Burying his head into Leeteuk’s chest as if he was a child, he thanked him as his tears poured. As he cried, the pain grew more and more unbearable to the extent that he could barely breathe. His solemn cries simply caused all the members to sit in discomfort as their hearts worry about him.

 

-

 

Listening to Ryeowook’s cries, Donghae just leaned his head against the glass window gravely, watching as the street lights appear and then disappear like a magic trick. He prayed for guidance as he didn’t know what to do as he remembered his meeting with Rae before the concert. Rae told him a secret, but the strange thing was; they hardly knew each other. Should he believe her? Would it be right to believe her? Then, a massive billboard flashed in front of him. It was 2PM’s ‘Follow Your Soul’ advert.

 

Donghae stared at it, was that his sign? It wasn’t a very clear one that was for sure, but if he was to follow his soul, it would be to stop the car from advancing any further.

 

“We can’t go back to the company now!” Donghae suddenly told his manager, startling him from his lovely nap. “Trust me, it’s too dangerous!”

 

“What are you talking about?” the manager enquired curiously with his weary expression, looking at him as if he was insane.

 

“If we go back, we’ll risk more lives being in danger. Rae told me, the Headquarters are planning on attacking SM tonight,” he stated with a hint of desperation mixed with panic in his voice. Some of the members started to notice him, eying him as if he was sick or mad. However, some believed him immediately – the ones who were originally from the Headquarters.

 

“Then we must go back! A lot of trainees are still practicing!” Sungmin exclaimed. “Actually, you guys should go. Leeteuk hyung and I will try to save as many people as we can.”

 

“What are you guys talking about?” Heechul asked questionably.

 

“There’s no time to explain. We’re running out of time! Heechul, you have to look after the others. When I’m not around, you are the leader,” Leeteuk patted his shoulder whilst he gave him an angelic smile. Heechul simply nodded, signalling him not to worry and to return safely even though he wasn’t quite sure what was going on. But one thing was certain – he trusted Leeteuk more than anyone else.

 

Once they dropped Leeteuk and Sungmin off, the van drove off. Yet somehow, the journey was rougher than usual, making them all uneasy.

 

“Hey, Mr Driver, can you slow down? I think I’m going to get car sickness,” Yesung groaned at the back, fidgeting uncontrollably.

 

“Don’t worry. You won’t have that sickness any longer, since you’ll die very soon,” the driver sniggered maniacally. Everyone’s eyes widened in horror once they heard his sentence. Could life get any more dramatic? Was they really told that they were going to die?

 

“If you’re trying to crack a joke up, you’re really bad at it. You should learn from our Leeteuk hyung!” Kangin teased, just to receive deathly glares from everyone else. “He’s not joking?”

 

Everyone’s heart sunk as fear struck them, yet it was still difficult for them to digest what was actually going on.

 

“Stop this car!” Kyuhyun demanded, only to cause the driver to snigger.

 

“What makes you think I’ll listen to you? You better be nice to me, I can make this a lot more painful. Oh, and by the way, they’re looking for more people to experiment on. Your corpses would do lovely.”

 

“This guy is insane!” Heechul exclaimed as he opened the care car door even though the car was still moving. The wind formed a barrier between him and the others, making it difficult for the others to hear his orders.

 

“We must jump off this van now! Unbuckle your seatbelts and follow me!” he screeched. Quickly, everyone did as they were told and jumped off the dangerous van. Many of them received scratches, bruises or even dislocated limps from the concrete. Heechul was trying to help them all to get away from the road until he realised that one was still missing, the youngest one; Kyuhyun.

 

“Kyuhyun!” Heechul sprinted towards the uncontrollable car, whilst Donghae dialled for the ambulance.

 

“Kyuhyun ah!” he screamed as the distance between him and the car continued to increase, yet Heechul refused to give up. He couldn’t let him get into another car accident – he simply couldn’t. He desperately called the magnae’s name, hoping that someone would hear him, praying that someone would help him save his friend.

 

-

 

When Kyuhyun was about to leap out of the van, the driver made a swift turn. Instead of jumping out, Kyuhyun ended up falling backwards to the other side, increasing the distance between him and his escape. Kyuhyun attempted again, but it was as if there was a pair of hands, pulling him back.

 

“Since your hyungs all left. YOU MUST MAKE UP FOR IT!”

 

There was a huge flash before Kyuhyun’s eyes, making those sinister eyes in the rear-view mirror more visible. Then, it was so bright that he was blinded by the brightness and all he saw was white. Slowly, he noticed a red stain was in the centre of his vision. Within the red stain, he saw all his memories with people he cared most. Like a movie, it continued to play without a pause. Then she appeared, causing him to smile foolishly.

 

He remembered it well; it was just like last time. The flashback was telling him that his death was near. Since he escaped death last time, he had already given up hope in surviving. He was thankful that he was given another chance to live, but he also knew that a man could not be too greedy. He was already considered special because God performed a miracle on him. God could not possibly show such favouritism to one individual, can he?

 

---

Comment Replies

To all readers: This stupid fanfic is finally ending! It's gonna be quick uploads as I'm ashamed to even see this again =____= I just want to get it over and done with :D 

Sorry if I didn't reply to your comment...it's probably because I don't know what to say ^^' 

 

 

@shadowkitsune13: I know right, why did Ryeowook and Kyuhyun's personality switch? I...personally have no idea why it's like that ><
-coughs- I'm speechless about Key...since he is the diva...What can I say?
And about the bullying seulong thing...-le gasp- I would never~~ Okies...maybe a tiny little bit? Just let me have my fun for the time being~ :D
 
@rxnkim: Is everyone going to die? why not? >;] I LOVE YOU!!! I would never let you die, don't worry...not sure I can do the same for Jonghyun though...Who knows? ;) And I think it's gonna get more tense as it's ending...but that's my opinion...I cna't wait to start a new fanfic, as I think this now =___=