Part one

Assonance

 

 

//Note// 

This is NOT the end...Unfortunately T__T...it just turned out that this chapter is too long if I wrote everything out...

sorry ><

//End Note// 

After receiving the news that Anna was captured, Kira hastily sprinted towards Mr Hiew’s mansion without even a second worth of hesitation. Renee wanted to stop her, but Karen was clinging onto her sleeve helplessly. Renee only glanced at her with sympathetic eyes.

 

 

“Karen, I’ll be back,” Renee spoke breathlessly and once she saw Key approaching them from the other end of the corridor, Renee asked him to look after Karen for her – forgetting the tension which was between the couple not so long ago.

 

Karen just stared at him with her dumbstruck expression. She stepped backwards a little which caused her to bump into a frantic pacing nurse. At that moment, she wanted to run. Her mind was going everywhere as if it was automatically searching an escape route once she noticed him.

 

Her frantic mind finally felt at ease the moment a pair of arms was wrapped around her from behind.  She looked down to see those familiar shaped hands again, causing her to clench her fists hard whilst letting those tears fall again. Even though she was tormented by her friend’s death, yet it was her death that made her realise that she wasn’t willing to lose anyone close to her – sometimes, when things are gone, they’re gone for good. It was a harsh truth to accept during that time, but she forced herself to accept it before she could make the same mistake again.

 

Key just laid his head on Karen’s shoulder. He was so close to her that she could feel his breathing on her neck. For weeks he had felt lost – he felt as if his mind were pieces of shattered glass. Yet during that moment, it was as if all the pieces had returned to him, mending his wounded soul and finally completing him. It was then he finally knew that his love for her was unconditional. He had no reason to love her, yet for some funny reason, it was because of that that made him love her.

 

“Karen,” he finally whispered with his dry voice. “Even if you reject me right now, even if you tell me that ‘we’ were actually a lie since the beginning, it will not stop me from loving you.”

 

Karen finally pulled away from his embrace in order to face him, showing him her swollen eyelids. She thought about it, and thought about it. Throughout the years she felt as though she was continuously losing him, yet he was never gone for good – he was always there. For a split second she imagined if she was to forever lose him. The result was: she’ll hate it, she doesn’t want it.

 

“I know this would sound shameless, but...can I love you? Your love...can I...do I have the right to accept it?” Karen asked whilst tilting her head to the side, staring deeply into Key’s baffled eyes, which soon softened to compliment his warm smile.

 

“I like it - this shameless Karen, I really like it,” he chuckled blissfully as a tear strolled down his face. “You have every right in the world to accept it. Apart from you, no one has this right. Thank you, shameless Karen,” he continued to laugh like an idiot.

 

“’Thank you’, those words should be mine. They should come out from my mouth first,” she mumbled feebly whilst she laid her head against Key’s chest.

 

“It is...because of Steph’s death that you’re like this?”

 

“Maybe, it’s because of it that I’m really scared. Death and separation doesn’t seem to be that hard. Forever is just a short and commonly used word, but the fact that I know that she would be gone forever, made me realise that there’s so much more to the word. I feel guilty and shame for not realising that when some things are gone, they would never return,” Karen tipped her head up, trying to make those tears fall backwards, yet they were overflowing, pouring down on both sides of her face. “It doesn’t even seem real – she should be standing right beside me, telling me that the person on that bed isn’t her.”

 

Key watched her with his anguish heart. He was sympathetic to Steph’s death, yet it was Karen’s tears which brought the tears to his eyes once again.

 

“That’s right – ‘forever’ always seemed to have such a positive tone to it, yet there’s so much more to it. Some things, when they are gone they would never come back, but I’m different! I’m like a magnet, forever attaching to you. Even if I leave you, I’ll always come back to you one day,” Key joked as he tried to cheer her up.

 

---

 

Back in the Super Junior dorm, Ryeowook was still clutching onto the balloon shaped mobile chains.

His heart was blinding him – he could not see or hear - quietening all the comforts that he was being given. It felt as if the wound deep inside would never recover, it felt as it would forever remain like that. He knew that everyone was giving him their deepest sympathy, yet it wasn’t enough – sympathy would not change anything, but what else could they possibly do? They could only watch the corrupted man before their eyes, whom they claim as their friend or even brother.

 

They all watched him. They all watched how he shook, how he poured his eyes out, how he kept mumbling her name. Whilst watching him, Heechul let out an ironic chuckle. It was as if he was in a drama that he was casted in, everything seemed so surreal – the emotions, the tears, and the people.  Yet reality was exactly like that. Those who had never lost someone could never understand that feeling, whilst those who have experienced it must bare it all. Tears were soon brought to Heechul’s face as he knelt down on his knees. It was no drama, it was no act – it was all real and there’s no take two.

 

“She really loved you,” Seulong sighed heavily. “She may have not told you in words, but I’m sure you must’ve noticed, right?”

 

Ryeowook gave a gentle nod before covering his ears with the palm of his hands and lowering his head whilst those tears continued to fall, signalling to all those around him that he had heard enough. Seulong was slowly feeling burdened by Ryeowook’s gesture, hence he got up and tried to leave.

 

“Seulong, wait!” Ryeowook called him back with his hoarse voice. “Can you please take me to Steph’s hospital room?”

 

All the other Super Junior members stared at their ‘eternal magnae’ with wide, bewildered eyes.

 

“Ryeowook-ah, don’t force yourself,” Yesung stated whilst he patted his friend’s back, but he shook his head as he wiped the tears away.

 

Sniffling, Ryeowook replied, “No, I have something to give her too. I must see her. Hyung, let me go.”

 

-

 

Kira ran and ran, praying inside for Anna’s safety. How much longer must she live that that? Must everyday be life threatening to her and those around her?

 

“Don’t...” she whispered to herself. “It’s my fault, please don’t hurt anyone else,” she cried as she sprinted with an arm covering half her face, so her tears would not be so noticeable to others.

 

“I was wrong...I was wrong!” Kira repeated over and over again until she finally arrived at her destination. She glanced at the mansion with worrying eyes, not knowing what she would have the face within the next hour. She was not afraid of the physical consequences, but knowing Mr Hiew, he was a man who was capable of destroying one’s mentally by toying with their weakness.

 

-

 

On the other hand, inside the mansion, Anna was just slowly waking up.

 

“Miss Anna, you’re finally awake,” the old man snarled maliciously as he gave her his cold glare. Anna glanced around her surroundings, just to realise she was in an unfamiliar place.

 

“W-where’s Kira?” she asked once she was able to recall what happened before she was unconscious.

 

“She’ll be here soon, because you’re here,” he smirked.

 

“You won’t get away with this!” Anna yelled, yet she was obviously frightened as she was subtly inching away from him.

 

“...and in what position are you to tell me that, Miss Anna?” he walked closer to her, cornering her. She glared at him, trying hard not to let her guard down, yet it was as if he could see straight through her. Her mind was going haywire, trying to find a way which would help her escape. Then, she was enlightened once her eyes laid upon the pocket gun in his trouser pocket.

 

She quickly seized his gun which was in his pocket and aimed it directly at him. “I-I can kill you,” she trembled as she spoke. However, he did not appear to be as ‘frightened’ as Anna expected, in fact he didn’t even waver for a second. Gradually, the man backed away, holding his hands in the air as if he was going to surrender, but his grin would make you think otherwise.

 

“You cannot kill me, because you’re nothing like your friend Kira - who could kill without blinking.”

 

“You’ll regret assuming that!” Anna bellowed as she held the gun tighter between her fingers, yet her nervousness grew as he was right about her.

 

“Do it then, I dare you,” he chuckled, but that chuckle soon faded as sudden footsteps were heard.

 

“Anna, don’t kill him!” Kira ordered fiercely. “Leave her alone! I beg you! She never did anything wrong!”

 

Anna simply stared at her friend, dumbstruck and unable to react to her sudden appearance, whilst Mr Hiew seemed to be fuming on the other side of the room.

 

“Look at you! Oh how pitiful you are, my child! Look what this girl and ‘that boy’ had done to you! These despicable people ruined everything! My revenge on Lee Soo Man has failed because of your so called ‘friends’. Just you watch how I destroy her,” he raged viciously, causing Anna to weaken her stance.

 

When he saw the opportunity, he quickly grabbed hold of Anna and snatched the gun off her, pointing it directly to her head.

 

“Anna!” Kira screamed helplessly, not knowing what to do apart from begging for forgiveness. “I’m sorry, I was wrong! Please, just let her go! I promise I’ll help you escape from Korea. I...I can even take all the blame and get arrested. Please, let go of her!”

 

“All those who were originally under me have now betrayed me. No one in the police would help me. They won’t let it slide. Even if you take the blame, they know everything. They know it was me,” Mr Hiew stammered. For once, Kira noticed fear in his eyes. Things really were coming to an end.

 

“But taking Anna won’t solve anything!” Kira argued.

 

“It won’t. Which is why we’ll die together! I won’t die alone. Those who dare ruin my plan must die, and you, must live with all this haunting you until your death!”

 

Kira stood there with regrets, sorrow and remorse. She felt as if she was the one responsible for all the happenings. The pressure seemed to have pushed her to a point where she was just drowned from her own sea of thoughts. To others, she was simply in a daze, but in reality she was continuously blaming herself for each and every one of her wrong doings. Subconsciously, she was punishing herself.

 

Then, swiftly, a white blur bypassed between Mr Hiew and Kira and knocked the gun out of his hand, before grabbing hold of Anna’s arm and pulling her away from the evil man.

 

To Anna’s surprise, it was none other than Sungmin, who was smiling radiantly at her.

 

“I made it just on time, right?” he beamed brightly at her, relieved that she was safe.

 

Whilst Mr Hiew was still focused on the reunion of the couple, Kira immediately charged towards him, pushing him towards the balcony. Kira tried to push him over the railings, yet his grip on her shoulders was too tight. The two struggled, but just as Sungmin tried to help Kira, she made the decision that tore Anna’s heart apart.

 

She jumped over the railings with him.

 

Anna just stared at the scene filled with horror in her eyes. Soon, the horrors were replaced by tears of grief. Sungmin quickly shielded Anna’s eyes by forcing her to turn her back to the balcony, but it didn’t help the poor girl at all.

 

Outside, Renee had just arrived at the place she once called ‘home’. She witnessed how the two figures fell. Seconds felt like years as they fell only about 5 metres away from her.

 

“Don’t watch it,” someone whispered before the two bodies made contact with the ground. The owner of the voice placed their hand in front of her eyes, shielding her from the horrific scene, and only when there was a loud crash did they release her.  When the stranger removed their hand, they noticed how it was completely covered with the girl’s tears.

 

Renee simply stared at the scene, not even bothering about the presence of the ‘stranger’ who happened to be Jonghyun. Jonghyun tried to avoid his gaze from the poignant scene, yet he felt fear within him as he witnessed the fall. Like a broken record player, the scene kept rewinding and replaying that scene over and over again.

 

The couple could hear Anna’s painful cries from the balcony. Anna continued to scream Kira’s name whilst half her body was leaning over the balcony. Sungmin just held her tight in his arms, afraid that Anna would attempt to jump along with Kira. Anna was reacting like a crazy woman as she tried to break away from Sungmin’s grasp, yet was unable to.

 

Jonghyun was quietly calling the ambulance whilst Renee simply collapsed onto the ground as her legs were weakening. Was she like this because the people who fell were her dad and friend? Or was it only because of Kira after all her dad’s wrong doings? - She didn’t know. Her mind was crowded by endless chains of thoughts which seemed to take turns to confuse her pitiful mind.

 

Very soon, sirens were heard, yet not only had the ambulance arrived, but also the police.

 

Everything before Renee’s vision instantly blurred whilst questions stormed her mind. ‘What am I supposed to do? What can I do?’ she thought to herself, as guilt encircled her. Soon, the brackish rain pattered around them, mixing with their sorrowful tears.

 

-

 

Meanwhile, in the hospital, Ryeowook had just reached Steph’s room. Just seeing her corpse on the bed caused his world to spin. He thought he’d fall, but his heart wouldn’t let him. He wanted to be strong every minute he’s with her, even though everyone, including her knew how fragile he was.

 

Gently, his hand reached into his pockets, pulling out a tiny object which he had wanted to give her. He glanced at the ring in his hand and fiddled with it whilst smiling thoughtlessly at it. Slowly, his hands reached for hers.

 

“I love you, did you know that?” he tried to smile, yet his lips couldn’t help but quiver.

 

As a tear escaped unknowingly, he slid the ring onto her ring finger. Just when he wanted to silently stay by her side, a familiar scream made him step out of the room to see what other horrific events had dropped into his life.

 

“Kira! Doctor, please save her! Please save her, doctor!” Anna cried as she ran with doctors who were heading towards the surgery ward.

 

Sungmin simply grabbed hold of Anna’s hand which was shaking frenziedly. He wanted to make them still, as a way to calm her mind down – but all was useless. It was as if she was slowly breaking down as each second ticked by - gradually being more and more corrupted by their best friend’s fall.

 

Ryeowook, Lee Jonghyun, Renee and Kim Jonghyun just watched Anna’s reaction from the side and how Sungmin was failing to comfort her.

 

Lee Jonghyun gave a light chuckle which surprised Renee. She stared at him as if he was a stranger, gradually losing her trust in him.

 

“It’s ironic,” he began. “I’m laughing due to the irony of this,” he explained, leaving Renee even more confused than before. “You don’t have to understand what I mean, because even if I tell you, you still won’t be able to fully understand.”

 

---

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z2ae5qRWPCg]

 

Just a few doors down from all the chaos, Kyuhyun kept hearing the same voice during his deep slumber, as well as seeing the same silhouette.

 

“Kyuhyun, wake up,” the silhouette whispered calmly.

 

“Who are you?” he asked instantly whilst staring at the familiar figure.

 

“You need to wake up, they’re waiting for you,” that moment, their voice became more hoarse and dry, as if they were about to cry.

 

“Who’s waiting for me? Who are you?!” he demanded as he was getting more and more impatient, yet the silhouette remained silent. Then, he remembered and chains of flashbacks flashed before his eyes. “K-Kira?” he questioned uncertainly. The second he whispered her name, he was surrounded by darkness, causing the silhouette to blend with the shadows.

 

Suddenly, Kyuhyun’s eyes flickered open, waiting for reality to hit him. When his eyes began rolling around, he saw her. The silhouette which he was talking to, it was Kira. It was strange why he was taking the dream so seriously, but his instincts told him, something was definitely wrong.

 

Then, the cries outside just confirmed it all. Immediately, he pulled the gas mask and all the other tubes attached to his arm away from him, so he could leave the room to take a better look at the situation.

 

Trembling, he slowly made his way to the door, using the wall as his support. Using all his strength, he pushed the door open, but at the same time it caused him to fall onto his knees just outside his room.

 

“Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook exclaimed in a shocked manner. “What are you doing coming out like this? I-I’ll go call the doctor,” he insisted, yet the magnae hushed him, because just over Ryeowook’s shoulders, he could see Anna crying desperately for Kira’s safety.

 

“W-where’s Kira?” he asked with a blank facial expression, making it difficult for Ryeowook to respond.

 

“You need your rest.”

 

“What happened?!” Kyuhyun raised his voice, staring at his friend with a stern expression.

 

“She’s doing a surgery right now. You can’t see her now.”