First Sight

In Hushed Whispers

“That’s fine Sun Ae, just make sure to lock up after you’re done!” The owner of the portraits shop said with a smile on her face as she grabbed her bags.

“Thank you so much!” Sun Ae said enthusiastically.

“Don’t worry about it, you’ve been such a pleasure to have working here and I know you’re saving up for a better apartment. Now, I’ll see you bright and early tomorrow” She said quickly as she waved goodbye and walked out.

Sun Ae grabbed the broom and started cleaning up the shop. She glanced up at the clock and saw that she still had time before Taemin’s friend came so she decided to get all the cleaning done ahead of time so she could head home right after. It was already late and she didn’t want to head home so late. Especially considering that home wasn’t in the same secure neighborhood that it had been in a week ago she thought, a small flicker of regret popping up before she shut it away.

She reached for the old wrinkled magazines by the waiting chairs and picked them up remembering that tomorrow they were getting more so these had to be recycled. She took them to the back room and opened the recycling bin. Before throwing them in one of the magazine covers caught her eye. She threw the rest in as she stared at the one in her hand. Her face stayed still as she stared at the exclusive interview the magazine had with SHINee. Her eyes wandered over Taemin as she quietly opened the magazine and read all about how Taemin had never been in love before. She scoffed and pretended that it didn't hurt in the slightest to read that. Sun Ae closed the magazine quickly before she read anything else and threw it along with the rest of them, the sound of the front door bell faintly echoing right after.

“Is anyone there?” A male voice spoke out.

“Yeah! Please take a seat! I’ll be right there!” Sun Ae called out quickly, closing the recycling bin and running out to greet her first ever customer.

Jong In looked around the simple yet welcoming portraits shop. He felt strangely nervous as he let out a deep breath and told himself to cut it out. Shoving a hand into his pocket he tried to look relaxed and aloof, but instead felt like an idiot. He pulled out his hand and let it rest awkwardly at his side. He made a face and told himself to relax as he walked around and accidentally bumped into the broom leaning against the counter. He jumped as it clattered loudly to the ground and quickly bent down to pick it up.

“Oops, sorry for leaving that out there” Sun Ae said as she walked in and watched Taemin’s friend fumble with the broom as he clumsily tried to pick it up, “I’ll put it away now that you’re here. By the way, my name is Sun Ae” She said helpfully.

“Thanks, um… I guess I should introduce myself too. I’m Kim Jong In, thanks for doing me this favor” He said as he straightened out and faced her head on.

Her hand automatically gripped the broom handle as she stared at the very familiar person standing in front her. She remembered him clearly from the elevator and even if she hadn’t, his name was really all she needed. Her feet were glued to the ground as she tried to make sense of what was happening. He was Taemin’s friend? Out of all the people that Taemin could have sent here, it had to be him?

“Is everything ok?” Jong In asked after a while, hiding the excitement in him at finally meeting her.

Every nerve in his body seemed to come alive with anticipation as he finally got to see the girl he had been thinking about all this time. She looked so shocked that he could have burst out laughing right there, but instead he decided to play it as if he had no clue about their connection.

“Y-yeah, I’m sorry I’ll go put the broom away, you just uh… um… just get ready” She said, stumbling over her words as she turned quickly and ran back to the back room. She shut the door and leaned against it.

At least he didn’t seem to know anything about her being the author of those letters she thought comfortingly. That’s right, he had no clue so she had no reason to freak out or get nervous. She would take the photographs, give them to him, and he would leave not knowing anything more. While that made perfect sense, her body refused to listen to reason as her hand trembled a little from the nerves. She wasn’t going to lie, she had thought about him, but to have him here and talking to her... She looked around suspiciously… maybe this was all a terribly awkward nightmare… she sighed as the possibility flew away when the pinch actually hurt.

“Are you ok?” She heard him yell; unaware of the fun he was actually having with the entire situation.

“Yeah! I just couldn’t find the broom place… I mean the place where the broom place, um where the broom goes. We’re really specific about that stuff!” She yelled back hoping that the ground would just open up and swallow her whole. The broom place?! She scolded herself as she pushed herself to get back out there.

“I’m ready” He said, a glint of amusement in his eyes as she walked back out.

She gave him a once over, for the sake of the photograph of course. His hair was brushed back and he had opened the top button of his shirt. Discomfort came over her at the fact  that she had to make a physical effort so that her eyes wouldn’t hesitate at any place as she nodded and took her place behind the camera.

“So what should I do?” He asked, allowing a small smile to come onto his lips.

“Well Mr. Kim, I think a…” She hesitated feeling even more awkward at what she was going to say, “You could go for like a subtle type of y, or happy or silly or you know really whatever you want” She added on quickly.

“You can just call me Jong In and thanks I’ll go with the first one then” He said calmly wondering if she found him attractive. She must if she suggested it in the first place right?

“Sure Jong In” She said as she bent down slightly and looked through the lens of the camera, ignoring the fluttering in her stomach at calling him by his name.

It was silent as she tried to focus on getting the best shot possible. Usually she would immerse herself in the subject and the photographs would come naturally, but this time the last thing she wanted was to immerse herself into Kim Jong In. Nope, she wanted to get this done quick she told herself as she struggled. Meanwhile, he tried to figure out if she was what he expected. He watched her intently as she awkwardly directed him from behind the camera and smiled. How come she was everything he pictured?

“You’ve got a stray hair” She said suddenly as she looked up from behind the camera.

“Ah… this is always happens with this strand” Jong In commented with a small laugh and she blinked in surprise as he looked down with a hint of shyness.

“Here you can use some water” She said as she grabbed the spray bottle in a drawer and handed it to him.

He held it and angled it awkwardly as he tried to get it on his hair and not hit his face.

“Do you… need help?” She asked quietly, cursing herself for saying anything in the first place.

“Thanks” He said with a grin as he handed the bottle to her.

She grabbed it and he sat down on a chair off to the side. Sun Ae stepped in front of him and using her hand as a shield, sprayed a bit of water so that it only hit his hair. She cautiously brushed his hair back, once again ignoring how soft it was or how it seemed to gleam in the lights, and focusing instead on getting it to stay in place. She smiled slightly as it finally stayed in place, she was about to say something when she looked down and caught him staring up at her. Her heart pounded loudly in her chest as she quickly took a step back. He didn’t move for a second, still a little dazed.

“I think your hair is fine now let’s go” Sun Ae said, keeping her face calm even though she could feel her cheeks reddening as she hid behind her camera once again.

She would never get a good shot if she avoided staring at him she finally admitted to herself and she looked at only him from behind the lenses. She had to focus on the job aspect and that was to find the best angle. She had to notice the sharp contours of his face and jaw, the way his lips pouted naturally and at the look in his eyes. She closed her eyes for a moment and it was like something clicked in her. The camera became part of her eyes and all they could see was Kim Jong In. She directed him easily as she fell into the motions. He tilted his chin up slightly, still looking down at her, no, still looking at the camera, with those eyes of his and she knew she had gotten her last perfect shot.

“That’s it! We got it!” Sun Ae said with a grin as she looked over at Jong In smiling back at her. “I’ll develop these and you can come pick them up in a few days”

“Then should we get each other’s phone numbers?” Jong In said pretending as if it wasn’t the hardest thing for him to say.

“I can just let Taemin know actually” She said as she began to pack up the set.

“Ah… I just don’t want to keep bothering him. It’s actually easier to pick them up myself. Do you mind?” He asked as helped her put away the light stand.

“I guess that’s fine” She accepted, giving in after making the decision that it probably wouldn’t cause any harm, “You should probably get going though, I only need to close up”

“I’ll help you, we took a lot longer because you were helping me. It’s the least I can do” Jong In said hoping it sounded as sophisticated as it had in his mind.

“Thanks” She said with a small smile.

Her phone rang with a message and she glanced over at her bag, deciding to reply after she was done with this.

“You like DBSK?” Jong In asked, already knowing the answer very well.

“What?” She asked, stopping in her tracks.

“Your ringtone” He explained, “It’s one of their songs. You know I like them too. I mean a lot more than I used to. Someone I really liked made me like them a lot more than I had before”

“Someone you like?” She asked, pretending to be focused on closing the bag her camera went into.

“Yeah, this probably sounds weird, but even though I never got to meet her in person I ended up really liking her. She was pretty funny too”

“O-oh… that’s nice”

“Well we’re done!” Jong In said as he put away the last object, but making sure to keep his eyes on her and gauge her reactions to his words.

“Thanks for helping me” She said as they walked out and she locked the door behind them.

“No problem. I should be the one thanking you" He said as he extended his hand to her.

Sun Ae paused for a second as she stared at his waiting hand. She looked up at him to find him waiting with a smile on his face. With the sudden decision that he was indeed more handsome with a smile on his face, she extended her hand and shook his. He held it firmly.

"It was nice to meet you" Jong In said honestly.

"I-It was nice to meet you too" She replied, allowing a small smile to form on her face.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I actually updated on time! :) Thanks for reading! ^^