It's The Little Things

In Hushed Whispers

"Mom you said if I got a job you guys would support me"

"This is hardly what we would call a job. You can keep the money in your account, but until you quit this silly dream of yours we're cutting your off"

"M-mom?! What?! That’s not fair!" 

“Sun Ae I was hoping this would give you time to reflect on how hopeless being a photographer would be, but since it’s not… well you’ll learn what it means to go after something without the economic support from us. I’ll contact your landlord soon so don’t expect to be able to stay there for too long”

“Mom you’re getting me kicked out too?!” She started as she heard the phone on the other line click and the line went dead.

Anger festered inside of her until she finally threw her phone to the side angrily and pulled out her laptop. Fine, they want to play that way? Alright, it was all matter of finding someplace cheaper to stay. She wasn't going to give in this easy. No freaking way, Sun Ae thought with gritted teeth and a frown on her face.

After three hours of useless research Sun Ae let out a small scream and kicked the edge of the couch. She knew her parents didn’t support her in this, but to go as far as forcing her to give up like this? She stared at the floor under her feet and wondered if she had been stomping around. The loud ring from the phone startled her as she hesitantly walked over to it and answered.

“Miss Park? I just got notice that the direct transfer of your rent is being cancelled immediately. Do you have any other backup plans to pay it off?” Her landlord asked briskly and Sun Ae shut her eyes tightly.

“Um… I don’t have any plans right this second, but if I could just get a week or something….” She said, trailing off once she heard his exasperated sigh.

“We’ve got quite a few people on a waiting list for apartments here. I’m sure you can understand, but since you can’t pay it would be better for you to vacate the apartment within the next few days” He explained coldly.

“Excuse me? Days? Where do you expect me to go?!” She asked in a panic, her voice raising a few octaves.

“That is none of my business. I am really sorry, but we’ve got strict policies here. If it was solely up to me I would be kinder, but I can’t. Have a nice day Miss Park” He said and without waiting for her response hung up on her for the second time that day.

Sun Ae stared at the phone, her jaw slacked as she tried to process what was happening. She had to call someone, but she had ‘friends’ not friends. As in people she talked to sometimes, but none that she would actually ask to put up with her like this. Of course there was one person a small voice suggested meekly in the back of her head and she groaned in despair. No, no absolutely not. She walked around her apartment trying to come up with some solution, but nothing came to mind.

She might be able to go to a hotel for a couple of days, but after that? Figures once she gets a job, something else comes along to ruin it all. With a renewed sense of injustice and anger she walked into her room and pulled out suitcases, throwing her clothes in them angrily. She could always go throw a fit in front of her parent’s house, but that was so humiliating…. Then again so was becoming homeless in three days.

She stomped over to her bed in frustration, suddenly jumping up when her steps were echoed by hollow thuds beneath her. She looked at floor and stomped once more, jumping back when not even a second later a thud echoed in the same place.

Was he… hitting his ceiling whenever she stomped? An unintended laugh escaped her lips as she waited a few seconds then stomped once more, only to have the sound be returned to her. She suddenly remembered being back in the elevator and it was strange suddenly being able to put a face to the person underneath.

Then it hit her… she was leaving. As in, this wasn’t going to happen again. Their letters would have to stop. She felt a prick in her chest, suddenly leaving felt even worse than it had before. She looked over to where she had put his letter and looked down. She could go downstairs right now. She could go meet him and then they could exchange numbers… She caught herself by surprise. What on earth was she thinking about? This was something purely for fun, just a friendly gesture between neighbors!

Despite that thought present in her head she couldn’t help, but feel a little more regretful as she recalled the worst part of it all. He was training to be an idol. Just like Taemin… She bit her lip and looked out her window. That’s right even if anything went further… it was going to be just like what happened with Taemin. It was better like this while it was still nothing tangible.

It was better to stop while it was still nothing important. With that thought in mind she shut her eyes tightly and decided not to open the most recent letter. It made no sense to write back. She would be gone soon anyways.

~~~~~~~~

“What the hell are you doing Jong In?” Baekhyun asked in shock as he walked into the apartment to find him standing on a chair a broom in his hand pointing towards the ceiling, his face turned upwards expectantly.

“She’s not writing back” He explained, a twinge of regret in his voice.

“Maybe it’s because you’re harassing her with a broom. Ever think about that?” Baekhyun replied trying to joke, though in reality he wondered if she had gotten scared off.

“You think that’s it? Did I creep her out?” Jong In asked a frown on his face as he hopped off the chair and threw the broom to the side.

“I’m joking. Maybe she’s just busy or maybe she think you’re ugly” Baekhyun commented absentmindedly.

“Don’t be stupid, we’ve never met” Jong In snapped as he looked up at his ceiling once again and frowned, “Maybe I should write to her again”

“Go for it maybe she thinks you don’t care”

“Why would she think that?” He snapped as he went to grab paper.

“Maybe because you said so” Baekhyun muttered under his breath.

“What?” He called as he walked back, pen in hand.

“Nothing”

14B,

Are you ok? I don’t hear your stomping elephant feet anymore. You must not be feeling aggressive anymore… You might not know, but I’m good at sending passive-aggressive texts too, should we exchange numbers?.

I’m debating coming up now since you’re not replying. But that would be rude.

04A

“She still hasn’t replied?” Baekhyun asked as his friend laid on the couch looking rejected and sad.

“I probably did creep her out” He muttered and Baekhyun frowned as he wondered what was going on. In the elevator she definitely liked him, he could tell… so why wasn’t she replying?

“I left her one last letter” Jong In added.

“What did you say to her?”

“I asked her if she was ok. Lame right?” He said with a deep sigh and Baekhyun couldn’t help, but feel bad for his friend.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel like I'm always apologizing for taking too long to update so I'll just apologize this once more and in the future simply make sure I update more often :) This was a short chapter because I needed something short to remind me about my characters XD

I'll be updating again in the next few days too! ^_^