Jobs (Not The Fun Kind)

Confessions of a Backup Dancer

 

The next morning, Sunhwa woke up at a bright and early time of 1:40 PM. She rubbed her eyes, decided it was impossible to got back to sleep with that annoying sunlight streaming through the cracks in the blinds, and got dressed. She yawned lazily and tramped down the stairs to the kitchen. Not surprisingly, no one was there. Jung Hee was at school and her mother was working.

 

Fixing herself some breakfast, Sunhwa ate it quickly, and, pulling on some ratty sneakers, stepped out of the house.

 

She inhaled a deep breath of fresh air – well, as fresh as it could be in the part of the city where she lived – and unfolded a piece of paper. The night before, she had stayed up looking for mildly decent jobs around town. Of course, her ideal job would always be dancing, but she had to have some kind of source of pay for now to be able to support herself. Her mother was hard pressed enough as it was, and Sunhwa was saving up to move out and rent an apartment.

 

Sunhwa took the bus to the first destination – an ice cream shop. “Annyeonghaseyo,” she said, bowing to the person behind the counter.

 

The ahjusshi smiled warily. “How can I help you?”

 

“Do you have a job opening?” she asked politely.

 

He raised his eyebrows. “Aren’t you too young to be looking for a job?”

 

Sunhwa sighed.

 

-

 

Three hours later, she walked dejectedly out of the fifth store she’d been through. Most of them had thought she didn’t have enough experience. Sheesh. How am I going to get experience if none of these places will let me get any?!? she thought.

 

She had intentionally saved the last shop for last because it seemed the most unlikely: an upscale rich-type restaurant, which certainly meant snobby rich people would be there. And Sunhwa hated dealing with snobby people.

 

Sunhwa contemplated whether she should check the place out or not and ultimately decided to go. She had already spent too much time and money to go home empty-handed, and really didn’t want to waste yet another day unemployed.

 

Trudging down the street, Sunhwa arrived at the address of the swanky place. She felt out of place just looking at the building. But she told herself that she had to push past the nerves, and opened the door.

 

A gorgeous dining hall greeted her. The entire ballroom-looking place was filled with expensive-looking mahogany furniture, with an 8-course setting laid out at each table. The ceilings looked like they were gilded with gold leaf, and impressive marble columns lined the walls.

 

A waitress dressed in black tie attire greeted her. “Annyeonghaseyo, and welcome to Paradise.”

 

Sunhwa blinked. They named this place “Paradise”? Not boastful at all.

 

“What can I do for you?”

 

Sunhwa played with her jacket zipper, already preparing herself to dash out the door. She decided that asking one simple question wouldn’t hurt. “Do you have a job opening?”

 

“Are you looking for a job?”

 

She nodded mutely.

 

Completely out of Sunhwa’s expectations, the waitress grinned and said, “You’re pretty. I’ll take you to our manager immediately.”

 

Sunhwa could only bewilderedly mutter her thanks and follow her.

 

Half an hour later, Sunhwa had gotten herself a job at Paradise. The manager had gruffly agreed to Sunhwa’s promises that she would be a hard worker and told her that she would be starting tomorrow at 7 AM sharp. Sunhwa was then informed that she would have to wear a dress (a freaking dress) for work as a waitress, and makeup. MAKEUP. That fact alone had almost made Sunhwa quit before she started, but then she remembered her not-yet-rented apartment and her mother and Jung Hee, and very reluctantly consented.

 

Walking home with a copy of Paradise’s menu (to memorize) and rules and guidelines (also to be memorized), Sunhwa was relatively happy. And she was sure her mother would be, too.

 

 


 

Hope you liked the chapter. :) HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE/NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY! <3

 

- tigress