Chapter 3 - Got'cha....?

Listen to Your Heart

Knock! Knock! knock!

“mmmhhmmm...”

“Mi Na-sshi. Wake up! We need to greet appa and omma” Jaejin banged on the door again.

“mmhhmm... 10 more minutes” I whined. The door creaked open and muffled footsteps could be heard.

“You said that 20 minutes ago. Come on, we’ll be late” Jaejin sighed as he shook my bed lightly.

“I don’t wanna” I complained and took an extra pillow and covered my face.

“Don’t blame me if I’m being mean” Jaejin walked away into the bathroom. I smiled, thinking that I could sleep in but my smile fade away when I heard the water splashing in the bathroom and water being collected in a container. I knew what Jaejin was going to do to wake me up.

“I’m awake! I’m up!” I sprang up from my bed but Jaejin, who is already halfway near my bed with a container filled with water in his hands, crashed into me. The container flew out of his hands. Both of us fell down in a heap with Jaejin on the bottom since he lost his balance because I was charging at him.

The water? Oh yeah, it ended up falling on both of us. So I did get soaked but at least Jaejin is now too (^.^)Y

“Yah! Get off me! Oh man, now I have to get change again”

“Hah! Serves you right for trying to pour all that water onto me” I stuck out my tongue at him and ran into the bathroom.

I the tap and waited for the tub to fill up. I couldn’t believe what I have ended up to when I made that choice. Unnie, I think I may have chosen the wrong road T~T My heart is a total liar. It has lead me to a total Kdrama situation but unless in those dramas you’ll know there’s a happy ending. Sigh~ what happened last night flashed in my mind.

---

“Make believe marriage?” mwo? A make believe what he said? I’ll be free? The Five Wives and One Husband flew out from my lips.

“What? When? Who? Why? How?” okay I only said four, I guess. I couldn’t believe my ears when Jaejin said it. Mixed feelings swarmed over me.

Jaejin’s face scrunched up as he fell into a deep thought. Trying to think of words to explained what he had said.

“Let’s make a contract between us. A deal” he finally said.

“Whoa. Whoa~ Hold up there lover boy. Do you think this is some kind of Kdrama you’re making?” I stood up, waving my hands in front of him. I walked around the apartment, poking my heads into the rooms.

“Okay, where is it?” I asked him, hands on the hips like an angry mother.
“Huh?”
“Don’t play dumb with me. You’re caught in the act. Game over.” Okay, the confused look he gave me looks dumb. And cute. Scratch that, he’s no longer on my list.

“Duh. The hidden cameras. The ‘Gotcha!!’ crew?” I explained, flailing my arms in frustration.

“I’m serious” Jaejin frowned. I looked at him dumbfounded.

“O...kay” I sat down slowly and shook my head; hopefully the tangling web of confusion will unravel.

“Stop that or else you’re head gonna roll off” he put both his hands at the side of my head to stop me my shaking my head again. I blushed at his sudden closeness. Luckily the room was quite dim so he won’t notice me turning red.

“This marriage was not necessary and our parents should let us get to know each other first but they insisted that I get married to a kid like you. Don’t worry about combining the companies. It’ll still be even after we’re divorced”

Boh? Divorce? A kid like me? Is that how he look at me? A little girl that he’s married to and will divorce later? Am I too pressured about all this that I’m getting nightmares? Kim Mi Na! Wake up!

“Yeouch!! What’s that for” Jaejin yelped in pain and looked at my hands. Between my fingers were a fistful of chocolate brown hairs. Jaejin’s hair to be exact. The roots are still attached to it. Ouch, it must have hurt so much.

“Yah! My hair! Do you want me to get bald?!”

“Mian! I was checking if I was still dreaming in my dressing room. And mwo? A kid you say?”

“Yeh, a kid. You couldn’t even differentiate dreams and reality. If you want verify that you’re not dreaming at least hurt yourself not other people” he sulked, rubbing the spot where I pulled out his hair perhaps bald already.

Mi Na, isn’t this a golden opportunity? Huh? Look with different perspective Mi Na, with a different eye at various angles. You’re still young, there’s so much that lies ahead of you. 17 still and you’re married already? Think of the freedom you’ll have after you two are divorced. Freedom, isn’t that what you’ve wanted secretly all this time? Plus I bet there’s still many uljjang you haven’t meet in Korea. You’re saying that as if I’m a dang playa’. Hello? I’m a lawfully (awfully) wedded wife just a few hours ago. So what? You think just because you two are married he’ll love you? Think realistically. Gajin. Have you forgotten her?

“Earth to Mi Na, Earth to Mi Na. Have you reach Pluto? Ssshhttt. Over” Jaejin waved his hands in front of me to get my attention.

“You love her, don’t you?” I asked Jaejin curiously. Even though I knew the answer I still have to confirm it.

“Huh?” don’t give me that poker face Jaejin.

“Gajin. I saw the way you two looked at each other” his lips curled into a bitter smile. I was right after all, well; it is obvious to anyone who has eyes (_ _”).

I felt a little envious. Not because my husband loves another woman but because he had loved someone; although a painful one I guess. Call me a hopeless romantic(less) but let’s leave miss I-never-been-in-love to sulk alone later shall we?

“Okay I agree”
--

“KiM Mi Na! How long are you gonna stay in there? Are you trying to turn yourself into a prune?!” Jaejin’s voice shocked me out of my trance. I almost drowned myself in surprise.

“Give me a minute!” I sputtered.

--
“Oh my, yeobo! Jaejin and Mi Na are here” Jaejin’s omma welcomed us in a big warm bear hug which was soon followed by a kiss on both cheeks. Jaejin wiped his face with the back of his palm, obviously embarrassed being treated that way by his omma.

“Mama’s boy!” I whispered to him which he replied with a glare. I hurried along with his omma towards the living room. Omma has a small petite body and her hair was pinned up in a neat bun with some hair loose. She looked young with her big round eyes and cheerful smile.

“Jaejinnie, have you registered Mi Na into Seoul High?” omma started as the maid placed the cups of tea and some titbits on the coffee table. I sat on the sofa opposite to her with Jaejin beside me. School? No one mentioned about this to me. I thought that I’m gonna be homeschooled in Korea. Why do I have to go to high school in my last two years?

“Omma, I’m going to Seoul High?” I blurted out without thinking. Jaejin looked kind of surprised combined with panic. What did I do now?

“Yes of course you will. Didn’t Jaejin inform you? He going to take care all the paper works since you two are already married so it’s his job to take care of you” omma winked at me. I smiled innocently at her and shot a death glare towards Jaejin when she looked at Jaejin’s appa as he entered the room.

“Jaejin was one of the top scholar there during his time” appa beamed “that’s why you’re going to the same school he had although he already graduated so you two can’t be high school sweethearts” he chuckled, his face is jolly red. Jaejin’s appa looked like Santa’s twin without the beard and minus a little bit of the big tummy.

“Top scholar? Wow, that’s... woah~” I said speechless. Okay, I’m not that smart but I’m not stupid either. Just in the middle. Average. And I just discovered that my husband is a genius. I wonder how high his IQ is. Assignment might be easier WITH his help Kekekeke~.

“Your school semester will start in three days so you two young couple better go shopping for school stuff” omma ushered us out. Shopping? My ears perked up at the mention of that one word heaven. Maybe school is not such a bad thing.

---

RRRRRrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnngg!!!!

I slammed the table hoping that my hand hit and turn off that annoying sound. I hit repeatedly as the sound didn’t stop. Frustrated I swipe my hand across the table. Finally the sound stopped when my hand hit something and it flew across the floor.

Few moments later as I drifted back to sleep, a new annoying sound came to life. This time it sounded different and more annoying.

KIKIKIKIOK!! KIKIKIKIOK!! KIKIKIKIOK!!!

What. The. Heck. Is that weird sound? I tried to ignore it but to no avail. Arghh! I sit up in irritation as I scanned my room for the source, my eyes still heavy. I saw my broken alarm on the floor so it can’t be from what was a perfectly functioning clock, now are pieces of junk on the floor.

I got off my bed and searched high and low. Even after a few minutes I haven’t found the source and it didn’t stop. In fact I think it got louder. I cried out in frustration and as I looked up, there it was. I think. It was a small round smiley thingy with an obnoxious expression and was placed on the hook of the chandelier-like light. Who in the blue world placed that thing there?

Taking that thing down took some of my time. I tried reaching it by jumping but its mocking face looked as if it was laughing at me when I couldn’t reach it. Finally I gave up and stood on a chair to put an end to it. Then I went to bath and prepared myself to school.

Seoul High has a cute uniform, thank goodness for that. It is a white blouse; sleeves folded back a little, paired with red and white skirt and a red bow to add the finishing touch. Kinda like a moe outfit.

When I stepped out of the room I found Jaejin smirking at me while eating his breakfast. So he’s the culprit.

“Had fun treasure hunting? Your omma said that you’re hard to wake up in the morning” he said as he packed some bread.

“Here. Eat this on your way to school” I looked at him in confusion. “You’re late” he pointed to the Cheshire clock on the wall.

“Omo!” my eyes grew wide as I quickly grabbed the bread and headed towards the door.

“Yah, you want a ride?” Jaejin called out. Right! I can make it in time. Then I remembered the way he drive on our wedding. I contemplate the options, weighing which I should choose. Late or die? Die or late? If I’m late, I’m kinda screwed up anyway on my first day of school.

And so, I arrived school in a nick of time with my heart, beating wildly like a thousand of stampeding horse, up in my throat. I walked out wobbly towards the entrance as Jaejin called out goodbye and drove away. I leaned on the wall trying to make my breath even and my heart, and my breakfast, back to where it’s supposed to be. Crap! I found out that I have 8 minutes left.

As I stride across the almost empty school ground towards the school’s office to hand in my registration form, I accidentally run into someone and fell on my bum.

“Oof! Yah! Watch where you’re going girly” an annoyed girl’s voice rang out. Head still looking down, I was afraid to lift my head up. Oh gosh, perhaps I’ll be like those in the mangas knocking into people and get myself into trouble on the first day of school. Then there’ll be a cute guy who’ll act as my hero throughout my desolated high school life. Wait. There’s something wrong in that picture (_ _”) first, that’s 100% fiction and second I’m married. So much for hoping.

“Yah, babo, gwaenchanayo?” the girl asked. I raised my head slowly to see her hand extend out to help me up. Mentally sighing in relief, I took her hand. “Sorry if I scared you but you shouldn’t just barge into people. I’m Jooyeon by the way” she introduced herself. She has white pale porcelain skin with black hair tucked behind her ears. Her bangs almost covered her dark blue doll-like eyes but I could tell that she was frowning.

“Oh mian. I’m Mi Na” and please don’t hurt me

“No sweat. It’s you who landed on her anyway” and with that she sauntered away. Huh? I dusted myself and continued my new journey of high school in Korea.

Before I entered the office, I checked if Jaejin had filled out all the particulars in the form correctly although I doubt it. I found out in these four days that Jaejin is a meticulous person. Everything he did must be up to perfection and in order. Yesterday I accidentally stained the living room carpet with cookie crumbs and he threw himself in a fit. He took the carpet to wash, swept the living room for any more crumbs and to make sure he vacuumed it too. Then he saw my magazines in a clutter on the coffee table and the morning’s newspaper stained with chocolate milk. Oh boy, I went to hide in the confines of my room while he did a little of spring cleaning early in the morning.

After the clerk gave me my schedule, I was once again in a rush towards my class. I ran down the corridor. Can you believe the size of this school? It has four building connected together to form a cross. The main entrance is at the middle of the cross section building. My class was located in the west wing, in a room called Sagittarian Class. What a weird name (=..=) and how am I supposed to know which is the west wing.

My eyes caught a girl turning at the corner and I quickly ran after her. Out of breathe, I couldn’t gather up my voice to call her. Finally when I caught up with her stride, I stumbled on something and both of us went tumbling down.

[Jooyeon's POV]

One minute I was walking towards class, the next I was flat like pancake on the ground.

“OWW!!” someone was on the floor beside me. Great, it was that clumsy girl before. She looked lost so she must be new around here.

“Yah! Do you think you’re a bulldozer or something?! Running people down. And can’t you find a different target?” I heard myself say as I stand up, feeling sore thanks to someone (-.-). She looked up at me with an apologetic expression and tears are forming at the corners of her eyes. Great, now she’s making me guilty.

“Mian, mian, cheongmal mianhaeyo! I didn’t mean to run you down, please don’t hurt me” she blurted out. What? I gave her a confused look.

“Your expression looks as if you wanna bite and swallow me whole” she continued.

“Listen here girly. Being run down twice in less than 30 minutes takes a hell off someone. So stop being clumsy and dumb” wow, I sound harsh.

“I’m not dumb! I’m just.... clumsy” she looked down.

“Can you ball both of your fists?” she did it and with an expression that says ‘duh of course. I’m not that stupid’.

I grabbed both her wrist and put her fist together “ahh... so that’s the size of your brain. It’s quite small you know” she turned deep red as she pulled her hands away. I walk off towards class, there’s still 3 minutes before class start and if I’m lucky I could reach there on time if it weren’t for.... what’s her name again? Ah! Mi Na.

I heard footstep behind me. I walked faster and the footstep walked faster too. Who the heck is following me? Without turning back, I broke into a run.

“chotto matte!” a voice echoed the empty corridor. I slow down a little until Mi Na walk beside me trying to match my pace.

“Wow, you understand Japanese” she started and I rolled my eyes. Of course, I’m not called the otaku queen for nothing, at least that what I call myself and no one knows that I have an obsession for anime and manhwa/manga. Well you don’t go around saying you’re an otaku unless you want people to label you as a freak or weirdo =.=//

“Sorry for causing so much trouble but I’m new here and I’m lost” she said, panting beside me.

“What’s your class?”

“Uhm, Sagittarian Class something like that” she wheezed.

“Cool, we’re in the same class. Get ready to take off” she look confused as I grabbed her wrist and ran as if some mobs were chasing our tail. We ran up some stairs turned some corners. There’s 1 minute left.

Bam! I threw open the door.

“Sorry Miss Ahn! We’re late!” I said and apologised while Mi Na is wheezing beside me. That girl needs to exercise often.

“You’re in time for attendance call” Miss Ahn, a woman in her late 20s, smiled and took out the attendance book. She’s a really cool teacher if you’re on her good side.

“Oh. What do we have here? A new student?” Miss Ahn looked through her book. “ahh... yeh. Sorry it slipped my mind. Class please welcome our new student from Japan. Would you like to introduce yourself?”

I see she’s from Japan but she doesn’t look very Japanese to me, trust me I know VERY WELL how Japanese girl (especially guys XD) looks like.

“annyeong yeorobun! I’m Kim Mi Na” and she bowed politely. See? I’m right aren’t I? She’s a Korean. The guys are practically ogling their eyes at her, following her as she walked towards the sit Miss Ahn pointed out which is beside me.

She looked kinda uncomfortable so being the good person I am I decided to help her out.

“Yah! It’s rude to stare at people like that. Do you want me to send you to your graves?” I snapped at them. The immediately look away. Hah! I guess my reputation as the go-against-me-means-hell girl in school is still standing strong.

“Thanks” Mi Na smiled a grateful smile showing her pearly whites.

“Do you want me to show you around school?” I offered.

“Will you? Thanks so much! I have trouble reading the map” she confessed, her chocolate brown eyes twinkled in gladness. Hmmm... I feel like eating chocolates now. Recess is a long time to come.
----

“This is the south building. Most of the class here are sophomores. Juniors are in the west, where our class are, seniors in the east. The north building is where the teacher’s lounge, principal’s office, detention room and the selection classes.” I explained like a tourist guide to Mi Na while she nodded as she tried to process what I have just said.

“There’s 4 floors and each floor have its toilet. It’s located in the heart of the building which is the intersection between these four buildings so that your bladders won’t explode whichever building you’re in” she nodded again like a puppy.

“Where’s the cafeteria? I’m really hungry because I only ate bread this morning” she whined. On cue her tummy crumbled. What’s wrong with this girl? Oh wait, I’m not in that position to say that too. Watch. Some girls from my last year’s class passed by and I looked at them. They looked at me too and I smiled. That’s when they scurried away as if I wanted to beat the crap out of their daylights.

“Uhm, Jooyeon-sshi. Why are you glaring at those girls?” so that’s how my expression looked like? No wonder people are afraid of me and thus the reputation. I ignored her and went on with my tour.

“The cafeteria is on the 2nd floor although there are vending machines too on other floors and outside the building” and then we entered the cafeteria.

“Let me give you some tips. Don’t go buy stuff there” I pointed in one of the stall “because I swear, cross my heart and hope to die, that the food there are totally blerggh” I made a puking motion “that one over there is ok. In the middle is totally weird but still edible and lastly that one over there with the damn long line is the best food you can get here”

“What about that crowd over there? Is that a stall? The food there ok?” she pointed out to the crowd she mentioned.

“Oh that” I rolled my eyes “that a walking food stand alright. Food for the eyes who can’t judge what does a hot, manly and handsome guy is” Mi Na just stared at me confusedly. She’s giving an awful lot of confused expression.

“It’s a ‘Jaejoong fanclub’ which is stupid if you ask me since he’s not even a celebrity” I waited behind the end of the line.

“Oh. We have those kinds of things too in Japan. It’s kind of stupid too since the guys are not that cute” she shrugged and eyed the menu. Hmm... I guess this girl isn’t that dumb after all.

As we walk towards a table, MY table since I’ve claim it since ever, we passed by the ‘fanclub’ table.

“Wow. That no wonder that guy has his own fan club. He’s hot!” Mi Na said as we sat down. I take what I said just now about her -.-

“He looks like a girl. What is hot about him for goodness sake? He’s even prettier than the school’s prettiest girl” I ranted in frustration. What the hell do girls see in him?

“Why Egiya? Are you jealous of my beauty?” Jaejoong walked up to my table and smirked at me.

“Shut up Jaejoong. And don’t ever call me that” I gave him my death glare. Apparently he is the only one who’s not affected when I did that.

“aww, you used to like it when we’re kids” he smirked again. Stop smirking or I’ll smack it off your pretty face.

“That WAS in the PAST” I emphasised on the past. “If you say so. E-gi-ya~” then he walk back to his table.

“You know him before?” Mi Na looked at me; yes you guessed it, confused. I nodded in silence. “So why’d you hate him?” she continued.

“Because.... it’s a long story” I sighed.

“It’s ok if you don’t want to tell me. I understand. I feel like prying into someone’s business” she smiled apologetically and chuckled nervously.

“Thanks. I don’t feel like bringing up the past right now” my lips curled into a bitter smile. All of a sudden Mi Na hugged me. I was stupefied at the moment and my body tensed O_O No one dared to go near me since middle school and yet Mi Na here did the most absurd thing. Instead of feeling as if like I want to beat her up into a pulp, I feel comforted. I feel myself relaxed.

“ahh! Sorry about that” she said after she realised what she did and released me. “It was out of impulse because you kinda remind me of a friend back in Japan. I’ll hug her when she feels down or sad” she looked flustered.

“gwaenchanayo. She’s lucky to someone beside her” I mumbled the last part softly but she heard me anyway.

“well, I’m here so anytime you feel down or sad you can let it all out on me” she said “I mean, talk it out not beat me up” she continue, panic in her voice.

“Thanks”

“We’re friends right?” friends? I guess we are now.
---

The sound of music filled the air as Mi Na’s fingers played the piano. We’re having music class right now if you’re wondering and today Mr Yong, the music teacher who thinks he looked like Ludwig van Beethoven and styled his hair like him, let us play whatever instrument we want. So right now the music room is filled with different music from different instrument.

I wonder if Mi Na could sing since she looked as if she was in a trance. That’s when I noticed something glittered on her finger.

“Mi Na-sshi, what’s that?” the music abruptly stopped. She looked at me and followed my gaze to the ring on her finger.

“Ah! This is... erm...ring...erm... finger...married... uhh..” she tried to remove it quickly but in the process she got it stuck. What is she panicking about?