Heartbeat

Apples and Butterflies

 

Ji answers Dara's age-old question.

Three times she asked.

Three times he answered.

 

 


 

 

I was running from my house to go to the park. I was going to meet Jiyong there to play.

 

When I arrived I was breathless and my heart was pounding like crazy.

 

There are moments like this when I am just curious that I often ask Ji, after all he was the smart one.

 

“Why does the heart beat?”

 

He looked at me as if he were looking at someone crazy, but then he always indulged me with answers.

 

“The heart pumps blood to the rest of your body so nutrients and oxygen could be supplied to them and for waste to be collected and disposed. Haven’t you been listening in science class?” he replied.

 

“No. I have you to do that for me.” I replied cheekily. Ji just rolled his eyes at me.

 

“You’ve answered its function but I want to know the reason.” I said.

 

For an organ the heart pretty much takes up top priority sheltered in a cage of ribs only rivalling the brain encased in a skull. If it were so important then surely there should be more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We grew up and stopped being children.

 

He must have noticed I was a girl and I’ve only just began to notice that he was a boy.

 

Playtime was over. We go to the park to take a walk, and talk about school, family and life in general.

 

I was still curious and Ji, ever the smart one and the philosopher indulges me.

 

My grandfather just died. Heart attack they say. Well, he was old anyway but the thought that your heart could stop at any moment bothers me.

 

“Why does the heart beat?” I asked Ji. He knows I wasn’t talking literally.

 

“It beats so you can live, dummy” he said. “so you can  be here with me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We continue hanging out with each other through the years only this time we hold hands and sometimes kiss.

 

We have never put a label what we were nor tell each other directly what we were feeling but we both knew that this is something serious and something we want to last forever.

 

It was again at the park when Ji surprised me.

 

He hugged me from behind. I thought he was just being affectionate but then I felt him place around my neck a necklace with a heart-shaped pendant.

 

“It’s beautiful Ji. Thank you.” I said and gave him a light peck on the lips.

 

He just smiled his crooked smile I love and kissed me back. His kisses always make my heart pound like crazy.

 

Then I remembered that time years ago, so I thought to ask him again.

 

“Why does the heart beat?”

 

“It beats so I can love you.”

 

Finally, I was content with his answer.