Chapter 2: The Judgment of Paris

The Houses of Agape and Polemos

Kahi's POV

Kahi: I saw a demigod.

I fished out the phone from my pocket and called my brother, Jackson.

Jackson: Neh noona?

Kahi: Jackson, where are you? Call the others. We have to talk.

Jackson sounded like he just woke up.

Jackson: About what?

I sighed, looked at the beach beside the cave. Pegasus, the god of the tides, son of Poseidon.

Kahi: The other houses..

Jackson audibly gasped and then shouted at Mark waking him up and our siblings. I could hear Tzuyu mumbling in contempt.

Kahi: And Jackson?

He paused and then realized he was still on the phone with me.

Jackson: Neh noona?

Kahi: Get the armory ready. I think it’s time.

Taec’s POV

She rifled through books. She started this habit of hers ever since.. the Oracle claimed her. My sweet baby sister, bound to the duty of the blind future. I sighed as I walked into the Den Room, father’s- my study.

Taec: Hey, Suj. What’s up?

She ignored me. She used to be all clingy around me, I was her favorite oppa.

Taec: You okay baby?

She knitted her eyebrows.

Suzy: What do you want?

She didn’t even look at me.

Taecyeon: I..

I stopped mid-sentence and backed away. This wasn’t her. But I have got to accept everything.

Taec: Wanted to know if you’ve had breakfast already?

She nodded and turned to another book. I sighed as I walked away, down the hall and saw Jay hyung just walking into the house. He glanced at me and sprinted upstairs.

Taec: Good mor-

His door slammed.

Taec: -ning. Okay.

I walked to the door about to leave the house with Yubin and Minjung hyung when Yoona ran to me and hugged me from behind.

Yoona: Take care okay. I’ll stay right here.

Yubin: Alright alright, we have to go now, Yoona.

She chuckled at Yoona, teasing her.

Minjun: Kaja, kaja.

He opened the door for Yubin and I as we walked out, Yoona waved from the doorway as we got into the car and drove off the lot.

It was a long drive to the airport, good thing Yubin and I had to catch up with a lot, Minjun hyung drived us. Yonghwa and Seungri, two of the youngest in the family have an hour left before their plane lands on Incheon so Yubin, Minjun and I decided to walk around the airport to look for a coffee shop.

As soon as we walked into the coffee shop an eerie feeling dawned on me. I looked around and saw just normal people but a ringing in my ears made me think otherwise. I could hear them again. The Furies. Erinyes. I spun around once again but was caught in Yubin’s arms.

Yubin: You hear them too don’t you. Calm down.

Minjun: I could hear them too.

He was looking around frantically just as I am.

Yubin: Will you two please calm down. I- I can’t control myself that well either.

And then..

Chaos.

I saw.. them. The wolves and a crown behind them as if they were tourists on vacation in Korea. Dad always told me that the Jungs serving us at home are not the only House of Wolves left. Then a lot more people surged into the airport, 50.. then about 100.. and then a lot more than I could count in a minute. About 200 demigods in the airport.

I looked at Minjun hyung.

Taec: Yonghwa and Seungri-

He nodded, Yubin looking at the both of us.

Yubin: No, we have to get out of here and report to the House, the Oracle what is going on.

The Furies started screaming louder as if they were screaming right at our ears.

KILL. THE. HUNDRED.

My phone rang.

Yonghwa.

Yonghwa: Hyung- H-help..

The voice suddenly changed, the phone shifting ears.

Taeyang: We have your brothers, come and get them, lion.

My anger took over. I ran out of the coffee shop, Yubin and Minjun in tow. Some mortals now shifting uneasily while I bent the light to make us look invisible. A darkness now suddenly surrounding me.

Yubin and Minjun glanced worriedly but as soon as we were out of earshot and view of mortal eyes. We arrived at the rootop, our angers had grown into full fledged bloodlust. We tried our best to stop and create a line.

Three against 200.

In the sea of the wolves, I could see Yonghwa and Seungri, bound, blindfolded and gagged. They were both wriggling and trying to fight out of their restraints, embers shooting out both of their nostrils.

Taecyeon: Your fight is with me, not my brothers.

Taeyang spat at the ground and took out a silver dagger from his waistband.

Taeyang: My fight is with your house and the foxes.

I looked at him, Yubin willed a ball of fire in her left hand as Minjun hyung willed the Sun to shine brighter. When that happened, two ladies swooped in to come in line with us. Jinhee and Hyejeong. Yoona’s sisters.

Jinhee: Need help?

She wielded a spear in her left hand while Hyejeong held a dagger in her hand as well.

Hyejeong: Wolves.

I did not know how these two could look so calm, I looked at the two of them at my left and nodded.

Yubin: How could you two be so calm right now?

Hyejeong: House of Love and Death right? We can control emotions.

Minjun: Taecyeon.. It’s time.

He looked up at the skies, everyone else on our side looked up and sure enough the sun and the moon were watching us. The winds blew harder.

Taeyang: Paris! Son of Priam, Prince of Troy! It is time for your judgment!

Taeyang pointed at me with his sword.

Taeyang: I will the Fates to send down a question. Fight for your love or instigate the war and endanger your house.

A single golden apple fell from the sky. Hyejeong and Jinhee now starting to feel uneasy. The Trojan War in the new age is about to start. The Kosmos is about to be put under siege once more. Basileia Korea, deemed unsafe for mortals and demigods alike.

During the Trojan War, the 12 major gods have chosen sides. It is because of that that these gods have descended, to protect their demigods. But this time, they have drawn the line. We are their enemies.

Taeyang: Taecyeon, unite with us and end the Foxes and the-

Minjun: Never!

Hyung started running towards the wolves, the Hundred Cousins raised their spears and swords in preparation for a clash.

Taecyeon: Hyung! No!

Yubin ran after Minjun, Hyejeong and Jinhee right behind her. I stayed in my position for a few seconds. A battle had started around me but all I could do was stand and stare at the violence.

200

199

190

187

The hundred cousins are falling one by one. But soon enough one from our side will fall. I floated off the rooftop, my eyes burning with blue flames. My hands balled and coated with blue embers.

Taecyeon: ENOUGH!

I flew higher til I reached the ends of the atmosphere before releasing myself from flight, falling like a comet creating a crater on the rooftop. The Hundred Cousins stopped from fighting, Yubin, Hyejeong, Minjun and Jinhee were circled around me, their backs facing me, bloodied and cut around in different places.

I picked up the golden apple.

I looked at the wolves and crushed it in my hands.

Taecyeon: I choose to fight for my love.. and the Houses. The gods will hunt me and your House down. You think they will spare you because of your loyalty?

My body now liked with flames, surrounding my body.

Taecyeon: I have made my judgment, Erinyes. Let the War begin.

Yubin had started sobbing when I made my call.

Daesung from the other side of the area raises a spear, its tip coated in Ichor. He drove it through in the middle.

One body dropped.

The other followed.

As Daesung pulled out the spear.

Yonghwa and Seungri’s life forces, left their bodies. Just as my flames died down. Yubin shrieked and fell to her knees. She started weeping.

Minjun: You, filthy dogs!

Taeyang: I’m sorry, Taecyeon..

The air around the rooftop started growing cold the hundred cousins started retreating.

The Judgment of Paris is over.

The Judgment of Taecyeon is over.