The King's Bedtime Story

The Houses of Agape and Polemos

Destiny is not at all given. It is made.

Father always says this. He imparts it to all of us every night before we sleep from the day we were born. 13 sons, with a pair of twins and 5 daughters, including Khun hyung already. He gave us all this to part of our upbringing. Umma does it as well. Every night he would tell us the story of our ancestry. We are not normal people I tell you.

He would say that The Parks are the last line of the Liontari Panthera Vasilias,

10 years ago...

Jihoon: ..the elite family, Familia Exousia. The strongest family of three houses. We are descended from the god PsyOs, Life. The sun is her symbol and the lion her sacred animal. She had bestowed this to us.

6 bunk beds, Jay sat up from his bed and so did his brothers as they all listened to the tale of their father, Park Jihoon, the Richest, Most influential man in Korea. Yes both of Korea. His sisters, Fei, Yoobin, Jia and Suzy all walked in too. Suzy is just eight years old, like the fraternal twins, Jr. and JB. 

The young male lions had also walked forward to listen to yet another story of their father. Taecyeon sat next to the twins, Yoobin and Fei sat next to Taecyeon, Suzy sat next to Yonghwa, Mir, Chansung, Junho and Wooyoung. Jay sat up front with Junsu, Jia, Joon and Seungri.

Jihoon: Aigoo, my girls can't sleep yet?

Suzy stood up and then sat on appa's lap from the red sofa he had placed for him to sit in whenever we would ask for a bed time story. His stories would all be the same but we never really lost excitment when we hear it. It keeps on being interesting every night and ever year as we grow older.

Suzy: Appa, tell us the story again?

She cradled the stuffed lion appa had given her for her 3rd birthday. Her brothers would that her stuffed lion named, Youngbae, had never been washed even by umma for the past 5 years.

Jihoon: Aigoo, okay.. Children settle down..

He directed his children. He asked Jay to dim the lights.

Jihoon: Where have I left off with my story? Taec?

He asked his 4th born son.

Taecyeon: The lion symbol appa.

Jihoon nodded at him. Smiled, happy that his son does not forget even a single thing of what he says.

Jihoon: Th three houses have their own patriots, for our friends and guards, the Praetors, Seunghyun and his family, their patriot is Chaos..

Jay: Mayhem.

Jay had continued his father's sentence. He loved to hear the stories of their family. He loved it as much as the next Liontari. All the ears of Jihoon's children are always perked up whenever he tells his stories.

Jihoon: Correct Jaebeom.

JB, the younger twin, spoke up trying to make a joke.

JB: Na?

He said with a bit of aegyo in his voice. Jihoon smiled at his kid and the children laughed. He then continued his story.

Jihoon: And there is a third house.. which is lost now..

Seungri: What happened to them appa?

Seungri, one of the youngest male liontaris asked. He raised his hand even. Yoobin and Fei answered his question for him. Jihoon let his two daughters give the dongsaengs the answer.

Fei: Their Thanos, Death right?

Fei said in a matter-of-factly manner. She looked at Seungri and then she continued what she was saying.

Fei: In the old times, there was a war.. A war caused by the gods for entertainment. They had pulled the strings together for the houses to come shed blood, even though that the first pairs of the houses were children of each god. Eventually the Houses had realized that the first war, yes there is a second, was all for entertainment by the gods. The houses united against the gods.

It was starting to get confusing for the dongsaengs, so Yoobin took over. This was the part the younger liontaris start to get confused with. Except for Jay, Junsu and Taecyeon. They were the ones who, like the eldest sisters, know about the story. 

Yoobin: The gods who lived atop Elysium, a great tree, had been razed by the family. The gods then realized that they had created beasts.. With that they had created the Treaty of Anti-Polemos. A treaty with the Houses that they shall never be united ever again or else the gods will descend and be with war with the humans.

Then Jihoon coughed and said that it was enough for the two. He smiled at the sisters and then he himself continued the story. He sat up straight on the red couch as he lay suzy on his chest. She had fallen asleep already.

Jihoon: Then a house became greedy.. The Praetor Lupus..

Yonghwa raised his hand and tried to ask a question. Jihoon stood up and rocked Suzy in his arms. He held Suzy in one arm and pointed at the curious Yonghwa.

Jihoon: Yes my son?

Yonghwa stood up.

Yonghwa: Sunghyun samchon's house?

Jihoon nodded. And then Yonghwa sat back on the carpet laid in the male liontaris room.

Jihoon: Their house realized that unity or survival of the last house would be the answer to immortality when the remaining house or the united houses would replace the immortal gods. They had started to kill the Vulpes first.. This called upon the bloodlust of the Fates, weeping to continue the killing.

He paused, thinking that his children had started to get scared of the story. But neither one was phased by his words. He continued then.

Jihoon: They had befriended us first.. Our ancestors had been friends with theirs. But when they had cleaned the Vulpes House, The Agape Agrios Vulpes, disregarding that the Vulpes had the 9 Keys to Elysium that would be born every 900 years, they had started to kill one of our family members. Impatient to wait for 900 years, they killed our kind.

Lee joon interrupted his father's story again as he raised his hand. Another queston in his mind. Though he is the fifth born, he was slow catching up with the stories thei father tells. He would sometimes sleep early.

Joon: Appa, waeyo? Didn't our family start to kill back?

Jihoon nodded disapproval. 

Jihoon: We did not.. We stopped the bloodlust.

Then Chansung and Junho nboth asked at the same time. Mir who had fallen asleep had gone to bed. Jr and JB also went to their beds. The young liontaris have classes tomorrow. Earlier than the ones in middle school.

Chansung and Junho: How appa?! HOW?!

Wooyoung who was always over the top went to their father's knees and clung to it.

Wooyoung: Tell us! Appa! TELL US!

He clung to Jihoon's leg as hew begged as if he was a beggar asking for food.

Jihoon: Arasso arassoo.. Just don't be noisy my son..

Jihoon looked at Suzy who was still fast asleep. He then looked back at Wooyoung, Junho and Chansung and smiled at them. The three youn liontaris smiled back. Chansung clung to his feet like he was hungry and looked at it.

Jihoon: They stopped the bloodlust by saving the life of a Praetor, who was going to be assasinated by one of their servants for treating them bad. Now they are forever in debt to us. Saving on of their house member's life and being a true friend to them.

Hyori, the liontaris Mother had walked in on the open door of the children's quarters. She walked in and took Suzy from Jihoon's arms. She said.

Hyori: Jihoon-ah.. Yeobo, it's late. Let the children sleep now arassso?

Taecyeon: Umma, let appa finish the story please?

Umma nodded in surrender.

Hyori: Arasso, I'll take suzy to the girls' room now okay? When I come back you better be in your beds?

She said as she smiled at all her children, even the ones who had already fallen asleep. She was about to turn around and walk out but she stopped and looked back at her sons and daughters who were still up.

Hyori: Don't I get a kiss from my handsome sons and beautiful daughters?

All the children stood up and gave a her a kiss on the cheek. After that she walked out with Suzy in her arms and Jia who wanted to sleep already beside her. And then Jihoon continued his story to the eldest children who were still up.

Jihoon: Now.. Where were we?

He looked up as he sat down as if recollecting his thoughts. And then he snapped his fingers and looked at his children.

Jihoon: Ahh! Yeah.. Now our two remaining royal houses, descended from the gods Psyos and Chaos are now left with us helping each other in life. Trynig to keep the other house alive.. So that not only one house will be left. And here we are now..

Jihoon outstretched his arms and motioned to the walls of their house.

Jihoon: 900 years later and still alive, The Praetor Lupus, the Romanus Lupus Diakonos, still in service to us repaying their debt of gratitude. Which I personally do not mind. But I treat, we treat them as friends right?

The children nodded. Hyori came back in and the children filed in to their respective beds. The girls walked with Hyori back to their room and the boys were left with some parting words from their father, who was called King by most of his associates and the Jung family. He turned off the lights after he had tucked in all his children and then as he was about to close the door he stuck his head on the crack before closing and said.

Jihoon: Destiny is not at all given it is made.....

He walked out and was greeted by Seunghyun. He laid a hand on his shoulder.

Suenghyun: Bedtime story?

Jihoon smiled and nodded at his friend.

Seunghyun: Just finished mine. For Taeyang and his dongsaengs.

Jihoon looked up as he had bowed down.

Jihoon: You're lucky you know?

Seunghyun was taken aback.

Seunghyun: Waeyo?

Jihoon laughed. He always took his friend by surprise. His friend who is the Alpha of the Praetors, his long time friend.

Jihoon: You only have 5 children.

Both laughed and headed downstairs for a drink. His friend who also works as hid personal bodyguard had always accompanied him every night for a glass of scotch. Both wondering if their stories were still true. Both wondering if the Vulpes really are deep in the ruins of their houses.

Jihoon: Are they really?

Seunghyun dropped his glass as he had just finished sipping from it.

Seunghyun: Nugu?

Jihoon stood from his lounge chair and stood next to Seunghyun looking over the tall glass window of the mansion that was a view to their football-field-sized front lawn.

Jihoon: The Fox-

Seunghyun: They are ne chingu..

He cut off Jihoon's words. And he continued with his own. He takes out a cigarette and Jihoon lights it with his fingers from a snap. Seunghyun takes a long drag of it and then speaks again.

Seunghyun: Don't worry Jihoon.. I'll still be your friend.. I won't make the mistakes our ancestors did.

Both looked at each other. Loyalty obvious in the eyes of each man, the King of the Liontaris and the Alpha of the Praetors. Friends who are bound by nothing more than loyalty and debt.

Present Time.....

Hyori: Taecyeon-ie.. What happened son? What did they do to you?

Umma walked in on me sitting on front of the desk of the principal, Principal Cho Kyuhyun. On the opposite sat this girl who tried to choke meto death just now, it's 8:30 for 's sake. We haven't even reached classes yet. I resent her for attacking me and I resent her for being the reason why I fought back. Good thing the guys, who've already figured out the situation took me off of her as they had their eyes closed too.

The Fates, all three of them beckoning us, weeping to kill the other. I'm sure she had felt it too. If not she would have not attacked me.Though Umma is human she is still the Queen to Liontaris she knows of the things that are not easily divulged to human ears like the Principal right now. Then the father of the girl opposite me spoke up.

Shindong: Mrs.Park is it? My daughter.. I- I'm sorry.

Umma looked at the chubby man with platinum blonde hair, he nodded his head from side to side as he bowed in front of the Queen, Eomma. Though she only wore jeans and a shirt, she still looked like she owned South Korea. Of course that's a joke, we only own half of it. The new baker, Im Shindong-ssi, in town and this must be her daughter.

Hyori: Oohh.. No, My son and I should be giving our apologies. I'm sorry Miss...?

Umma ended her sentence with a questioning voice. Asking the girl's name.

Yoona: Yoo- Yoona.. Im Yoona. Mianhaeyo Madam Park. And I should be sorry.

Umma nodded at her and gave her a smile. Both of us closed our eyes, we both realized that this was the solution preventing us from killing each other. We both bowed down in shame and of course avoiding seeing each other again.

Taecyeon: Yeah you should be.

Hyori: Taec stop now son.

Umma said, her voice still soothing. She rested a hand on my shoulder and then the principal gave his last warnings. We walked outside the campus not a single word said. Suzy was there at the back seat with Mir and Chansung. The three were curious of what happened.

Suzy: Oppa!

Mir: Bwoya!? Jay and Junsu hyung said..

Chansung: Aish let hyung tell the story.

Umma started to back up her mustang as we tried to settle in and put on our seat belts and then umma spoke up, still with her soothing voice. Umma is not one to get mad quickly, easily or just at about anything. She'll only get mad if I didn't tell her anything that happened to me. She's probably sad that I didn't get to call her immediately.

Hyori: Yes son... WHat happened? Care sharing with us?

And then Mir spoke up again.

Mir: Yeah hyung.. What happened? Is she really-

Chansung put a hand over Mir's mouth and then he said as Suzy laughed and Umma smiled at what was happening at the back.

Chansung: Continued hyung..

Chansung smiled at the me as I had turned my head back to look at them. Suzy still clung to the lion stuffed toy Umma and Appa had given her.

Taecyeon: It all started like this.....

 

 

To be Continued.....