Chapter 9.

Fine Feathers Don't Make Fine Birds

 

Luhan! I need you to have this pile faxed out by three, this pile scanned and made into two extra copies by five and to have these mailed off by six. Don’t forget to look over the phone calls at lunch too, Zitao switched breaks with Chen!”
 
“Okay, I got it.” Luhan half expected to get his own office when he learned that he would be doing his internship at his father’s company but his father was having none of that. Son or not, all interns start at the bottom. Although the work was tough, Luhan was actually happy that he’s starting from the bottom. That’s the only way for him to earn the respect from those that will work under him one day.
 
“Oh! And one last thing, just in case you wanted to know, I like my coffee black.” Luhan chuckled at his supervisor, Qian’s quirky attitude before getting straight to work.
 
“Got that too.”
 
 
 
 
 
Luhan yawned as he stretched out his limbs, he’s been hunched over a massive amount of paperwork for the past three hours and his muscles have gotten stiff.  Although his first day had been tough, he was finally done. Luhan set his things into neat piles, making sure they were all in the correct places before getting up and slipping into his jacket. He looked around and realized that only a few people were left at the office he worked in. Luhan waved goodbye to his coworkers then clocked out, taking the elevator to the eleventh instead of the first floor. He’s pretty sure his father is still at work. The elevator dinged, signalling that Luhan has arrived onto the eleventh floor. He walked over to the receptionist and just like he had expected his father is still at work. Here goes nothing. Luhan took in a deep inhale of air then knocked on his father’s door lightly.
 
“Come in.” Luhan turned the doorknob and peered his head inside.
 
“Hi…”
 
“Oh Luhan, here come sit.”
 
Luhan cleared his throat awkwardly and took a seat in front of his father’s desk.
 
“How was your first day? Qian wasn’t too hard on you was she?”
 
“It went well and no, Qian is a great supervisor, I wouldn’t ask for another.”
 
“That’s good to hear.”
 
“Yeah…”
 
“So, is there something you needed?”
 
“Uh, no, not really… I just wanted to see how you were doing before I head home.”
 
“Ah, I’m alright son, you should get home soon; you have to write a report to document your experiences here for class right?”
 
Luhan’s eyes widened in surprise, he had mentioned it to his mother briefly during dinner, he didn’t think that his mother would have told his father, nevertheless remember such a trivial thing as well.
 
“Yeah, I’ll… see you at home?”
 
“Don’t wait up; I’ve got a long night ahead of me. Please help me relay the message to your mother as well.”
 
“Oh, okay then… Bye and um… Jia You.” Luhan waved awkwardly at his father before stepping outside of the office. He exhaled a sigh of relief and waiting until the heartbeat pounding against his eardrums slowed down. That wasn’t so bad.
 
 
 
 
 
“How was your first day Lu?”
 
“Hectic, but, I enjoyed it. My supervisor is really nice and none of the work I did today was too physically exhausting. I’m just mentally drained from the report I had to type up, I can’t believe I have to do this five days a week for the next three months.”
 
“Well, that doesn’t sound too bad. I can always look over your reports for you if you’d like, you always have trouble maintaining a professional tone.” Luhan scoffed at Meiyin’s comment but couldn’t deny that she’s right.
 
“Yeah… I think I’d like that.” Meiyin giggled over the line, her melodious laughter bringing joy to Luhan’s heart.
 
“Did anything else interesting happen today?” Yeah. Luhan thought about it for a moment and decided he’d tell Meiyin.
 
“I talked to my father for a bit after work today.”
 
“Oh? And how did that go?” Meiyin’s voice rose slightly in interest as she spoke.
 
“Not bad actually, we didn’t really talk about much but it’s a start.”
 
“That’s good Lu, that’s really good. Do you know his schedule? You should try seeing if he has time for lunch with you or something, breakfast and coffee is definitely out of the picture for you since you’re not much of an early riser.”
 
“It’s not my fault that he gets up at five in the morning; that is such an ungodly hour.” Luhan shuddered at the thought of having to get up that early. “But, your idea is great so I’ll try asking him at work tomorrow.”
 
“Good, I’m glad to see that things are going well for you Lu.”
 
“Thanks Meiyin, I don’t know what I’d do without you. I’d probably still be cooped up in my room and angry half the time, not to mention my terrible attitude towards other human beings as well.” Meiyin chuckled at how Luhan described his past self and shook her head.
 
“You weren’t that bad…” Luhan’s eyebrow rose even though he knew that Meiyin can’t see him right now.
 
“Really? Do you really mean that?”
 
“Okay, maybe you were just a little bit rude and cocky but it’s not like you were a bad person. You didn’t do those things intentionally; it was simply a shielding mechanism that you developed over the years you know? Most likely due to th-“
 
“Meiyin, it’s okay, you’re going all Dr. Wong on me right now.”
 
“Oops.” Luhan laughed while directing their conversation to another topic, he’s had enough of talking about himself for the day; he wants to know how Meiyin’s day went. He’d much rather listen to her ramble about the things she learned in class and the adorable way she talks about her assignments like the cute nerd she is than to talk about his problems. That’s what Jiaheng is for. 
 
 
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you guys so much for reading this story! There is only one short chapter left before the end. I really didn't expect this story to get 73 subscribers, I'm really happy that people actually enjoyed this! The comments you guys leave, encouraged me to keep writing and I really hope the ending won't disappoint you guys. This story was experimental and so is the ending haha. Anyways, like always, a shout out to all you lovely people who left me comments!