Chapter 8.

Fine Feathers Don't Make Fine Birds

 

“Mom, dad, this is my girlfriend Meiyin.” Meiyin bowed then extended her hands to shake those of Luhan’s parents. Although the initial greeting has been awkward so far, Meiyin has a really good feeling about dinner, call it whatever you want, but her intuition rarely ever fails.
 
“Hi, thank you for having me over Mr. and Mrs. Xi.”
 
“Oh, it’s our pleasure to have you here! Luhan has never brought a girl home before.” Meiyin felt her cheeks heat up slightly at Mrs. Xi’s comment but kept composed, a small smile sitting on her face.
 
“Mom!” Luhan nudged his mother slightly, completely embarrassed that she would even say something like that.
 
“What? I’m just telling it as it is.” Luhan’s eyes furrowed a soft sigh escaping his lips while his mother giggled.
 
“Alright, alright. Come on, let’s take this inside.” Luhan’s playful banter with his mother stopped immediately at the sound of his father’s voice. Meiyin’s head cocked to the side slightly at Luhan’s sudden change in behaviour. The slight hunch on his back he had previously straightened out until his chest was slightly lifted.
 
“It’s okay Lu.” Meiyin held onto Luhan’s hand gently and used the nickname that she had created for him to loosen up the atmosphere.
 
“Thanks.” Meiyin cupped Luhan’s face rustled her nose against his cheeks when Luhan’s parents turned around.
 
“Anything for you.”
 
The young couple followed Luhan’s parents into the dining room.
 
“I hope you don’t mind Western food Meiyin, I had today’s dinner planned out prior to knowing that you would be coming. If only I had more time I would have asked Luhan what you liked!” Meiyin smiled and took the wine she had bought out of her purse.
 
“Western food is perfectly fine with me Mrs. Xi; I hope this red wine will complement the steaks.” 
 
“Oh! How lovely, this will go perfectly with tonight’s dinner. Isn’t this just so thoughtful of Meiyin honey?” Luhan’s mother took the wine with an eye smile on her face while Luhan’s father nodded his head slightly in acknowledgement.
 
“Yes, thank you Meiyin that is rather thoughtful of you.”
 
Luhan’s heart began to calm down when the four of them got seated. The initial awkward atmosphere lighting up thanks to Meiyin’s wine.
 
“So, Meiyin… how did you and Luhan meet?” Meiyin noticed Luhan stop cutting his steak momentarily, Meiyin’s left hand found its way to his leg brushing it with her thumb softly to rid him of his anxiety. Meiyin actually saw this as a chance to let Luhan’s parents understand just how close she really is with Luhan. Not only will this allow them to know what her future profession will be but they should also feel relaxed that Meiyin is well aware of Luhan’s condition.
 
“We actually met during one of his schedule sessions with Doctor Lee. I was an intern for Doctor Lee at the time.” Luhan looked over at his parents and exhaled a breath of relief when his father’s expression seemed reflect one of being impressed with Meiyin.  
 
“Oh, is that so?” Meiyin nodded at Mr. Xi’s reply and continued to talk about how she and Luhan had first met.
 
“If you don’t mind my honesty, I was quite surprised by Luhan’s behaviour at the time. It was my first day at work and he was the first patient to catch my attention. His face held no emotions and his actions seemed too calculated for my liking. His answers to all my questions were rather blunt as well, but hey, look at where we are now.” Luhan’s jaw dropped slightly at his girlfriend’s confession, even he himself doesn’t know what Meiyin’s first impression of him was.
 
“Haha, Luhan dear, you acted that way in front of a pretty girl like Meiyin?” Luhan scrunched his face slightly at his mother’s reaction while his father chuckled.
 
“Mom!” Meiyin couldn’t help but smile at the interactions between Luhan and his mother, they seemed really close. If only he and his father could have a relationship like that.
 
“That is quite the first impression; I apologize for my son’s behaviour.”
 
“Oh, no need Mr. Xi; it was an interesting experience for me. Being an intern can’t be all smooth sailing.”
 
“Ahh, I see, so you’re planning to become a psychiatrist then I presume?”
 
“Yes, I hope to have my own office one day as well.”
 
“Atta girl, it’s good to be ambitions while you’re young. I can see why you’re the first girlfriend Luhan has brought home.” Luhan smiled at the way Meiyin was handling this conversation, he and his father never really had much to say to one another.
 
“Haha, I’m glad you think so Mr. Xi.”
 
 
 
 
 
“I really like your parents Lu, I’m glad tonight went well.” Luhan kept his eyes on the road as he answered Meiyin.
 
“I’m sure they liked you too and it went well thanks to you. I’ve never seen my father talk to anyone the way he talked to you before.”
 
“Well, I am his only son’s girlfriend I’m sure he wanted things to start off on a good note as well. Don’t doubt yourself.”
 
“I’ll try not to.”
 
 
 
 
“So, how have things been going Luhan?”
 
“Alright, I start work at my father’s company tomorrow so we’ll so how things go from there I guess.”
 
“You’ll do just fine. Meiyin tells me you do well in your classes with minimal effort; I can tell you’re bright.”
 
“Tha- wait, Meiyin talks to you about me? I thought her internship was over.”
 
“Haha, my my, what a slip of the tongue, I forgot Meiyin told me not to mention this.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Meiyin’s internship ended but since I volunteered to be a mentor I’m still obligated to help her out every now and then. Whenever she asks me for help she never fails to ask me how you’re doing as well. You know, from a professional point of view since I’m a specialist. The conversation always ends up with her talking a bit about you as well. You’ve got quite the catch Luhan, you’re lucky to have her; I can tell she really cares for you. Make her proud and win this fight until the end, it’d be nice to see the kid stop worrying for once.” Luhan was at a loss for words, he has always known that he was lucky for even having her by his side but this… this just made Luhan want to do better even more. If he can’t do this for himself, he’ll do it for her.