Chapter 7.

Fine Feathers Don't Make Fine Birds
"Hello? Luhan?" Luhan took in a couple of deep breaths before speaking. 
 
"Do you have a few moments to spare today Jiaheng?"
 
"Yeah yeah, my five o'clock actually canceled today so if you're free at five come down to my office and I'll see what I can do for you." 
 
"Okay, five is perfect, thank you so much Jiaheng." 
 
"Don't worry about it, I'll see you then." The line went dead as Luhan exhaled a breath of relief. Well that went easier than expected.
 
Luhan remained seated for a few more moments before picking up the photo albums scattered across the floor. He set them back into the storage room while keeping a few photos behind to frame. His room seems to be lacking a little life and this is exactly what he needs.
 
 
 
 
 
"Are you feeling alright Luhan? It isn't like you to call me up for an extra appointment like that." Luhan nodded his head although even he himself isn't sure if he's alright or not. 
 
"Yeah, I just... I guess you could say I had an epiphany of some sort." 
 
"Ahh okay." 
 
"I think the root cause of my condition stems from the relationship I have with my father." The corner of Jiaheng's lips rose slightly at Luhan's revelation; he had a feeling that Luhan's father would be the cause. It's been months since he started to help Luhan and he has still yet to meet his father. 
 
"I see... go on."
 
"It's just that the two of us have really little to say to each other and I'm much closer to my mother. I never really saw it as a big deal as a child since I understood that my father was often busy with business but now that I really look back, the effect of barely ever having him around has made a larger impact on me than I expected. I guess, I just didn't notice since I was able to befriend Yixing, he made things bearable." Luhan felt his heart crumble as he talked about Yixing, he shouldn't have let a friend like him go. "Where should I go from here Jiaheng? What should I do?" 
 
"Luhan, I'm sure you yourself are well aware of what has to be done. You need to talk to your family about your situation, I know it'll be difficult since you have spent a majority of your life keeping your thoughts to yourself but I know you can do this Luhan."
 
"I... But where do I even begin? I can't just waltz up to my father and be like, I have separation anxiety disorder and it's because of you." Jiaheng couldn't help but chuckle at Luhan's response. 
 
"Well no, of course you can't do that but you can talk to him about how you're doing lately and ask him how he is. Develop a better relationship by talking to him more before we go and figure out exactly where things went wrong. Of course I get that he's often at work and rarely home but you're a grown man now, how about you take matters into your own hands and visit your father at work? In my opinion Luhan, you have gotten much better already as it is. We just need to take things one step further, we're almost there." Jiaheng placed a hand on Luhan's shoulders, giving him a gentle pat as encouragement. "You're almost there." 
 
 
 
 
 
"Luhan can you pass me the basil?" Luhan looked through the cabinets quickly and got a jar of dried basil for Meiyin. 
 
"This one?" 
 
"Yep, thank you." Meiyin turned her head around to give Luhan a quick peck on the cheek before going back to mixing her homemade pesto pasta sauce. "Do you prefer your asparagus chopped up and mixed into the sauce or on the side?" 
 
"Mixed into the sauce, but I'll do that for you." 
 
"Nope, my apartment, my rules. You're the guest so I'll be doing all the cooking okay?"
 
"Okay, got it." Luhan smiled as he watched his girlfriend make the two of them dinner for the first time, their relationship has progressed at the perfect speed and in the perfect manner. 
 
"Why don't you go wait out in the living room? You must be bored watching me cook." Luhan shook his head and circled his arms around Meiyin's waist and resting his head on her shoulders. 
 
"Nahh, I'm perfectly content with staying here and watching you cook, I don't think I've seen anyone look as beautiful as you while doing so." Meiying tsked as she turned around, poking Luhan on nose lightly. 
 
"Cheeseball." 
 
"But I'm your cheeseball." Meiyin scrunched up her face at Luhan's comment but couldn't hide her smile anyways.
 
"Whatever you say, now if you don't mind I'll need to pour the spinach into the mix now." Luhan let go of Meiyin briefly for her to get the spinach before latching himself onto her again. 
 
Not that Meiyin is complaining about Luhan's affection but the skinship that he initiates has been more frequent over the past few days. Meiyin turned off the stove and wrapped her arms around Luhan as well.
 
"Is something wrong?" Luhan placed his chin on top of her head with his eyes closed and hummed softly. 
 
"I'm alright; let's talk about it after dinner." Meiyin nodded and looked up at him with her own set of doe-like eyes. 
 
"You think you can help me get the plates? The ones I want to use are quite the reach for me." Luhan chuckled and loosed his grip on Meiyin. 
 
"Where are they?" 
 
"Top right cabinet."
 
"Got it."
 
"Thank you." Meiyin took the two plates from Luhan and placed the pasta onto the plate then poured her pesto sauce over top. She then set the plates onto the dining table and grabbed two forks. "Let's dig in!" 
 
The corner of Luhan's eyes crinkled as he smiled at his girlfriend’s cute action. "Let's dig in." 
 
 
 
 
 
"Are you planning to tell me what's wrong?" Meiyin drew circles on Luhan's palm as the two of them sat on her couch, watching When Love Walked In together. 
 
"You know how I told you about my father?" 
 
"Yeah..." 
 
"I went to visit him at work today..." 
 
"That's good Luhan; you're taking the first step." 
 
"His business partner's daughter was there as well, and he tried setting us up." 
 
"Oh..." 
 
"So I told him I have a girlfriend and he wants to meet you soon, are you okay with that?" Luhan's voice grew soft at the end, earning a light smack from Meiyin. 
 
"Of course I am, I'd love to meet your family... Unless of course you don't want me to, which explains why you're speaking in such a hesitant way." 
 
"What?! No! I was just worried since I kind of... told him I'll take you home for dinner tomorrow and I didn't really ask you yet. I know how busy you can get so..."
 
"Well isn't it just your lucky day? I'm free tomorrow, so stop being such a worrywart. Though, I do need your help for dinner tomorrow, do you parents prefer red or white wine?"