Chapter 6.

Fine Feathers Don't Make Fine Birds

 

 
“Um, you got a little something on the corner of your lips.” Luhan pointed at his own lips while speaking, a cute action that would cause the hearts of many females to race, including Meiyin.
 
After composing herself, Meiyin tried to get the whipped cream off by her lips only to miss completely.
 
“Gone?”
 
“No, it’s on the left side.”
 
“That was my left.”
 
“No, my left.”
 
“Oh.” Meiyin chuckled trying again only to miss, again. Luhan wasn’t sure if she was doing this on purpose or not but he let his instincts take over and leaned forward, swiping his thumb across Meiyin’s lips.
 
“There, it’s gone.”
 
“T-thanks.” Meiyin’s cheeks flushed a fury pink as Luhan cleared his throat awkwardly after realizing how tense the atmosphere had suddenly become.
 
“You’re…welcome.”
 
The two young adults sat facing each other with their head’s hung low in silence, suddenly shy due to the event that had just occurred.
 
“Meiyin?”
 
“Hmm?” Meiyin’s head snapped up, her wide eyes meeting Luhan’s doe-like ones.
 
“Will you be my girlfriend?”
 
 
 
 
 
“Hi Luhan, how was your day?”  
 
“Great, yours?” Jiaheng smiled at Luhan’s response, well that’s new.
 
“Pretty good if I do say so myself.”
 
“That’s good.” Jiaheng liked how relaxed Luhan looked, he seemed so much more carefree compared to the first time he had met him.
 
“Well, would you like to tell me about your day or should I jump straight into the questions?”
 
“You can go ahead and jump straight to the questions Jiaheng, not really in the need to spill my thoughts out today.”
 
“Alright, let’s go with the usual then.”
 
 
 
 
“Luhan!!!” With a loud groan Luhan pulled his blankets over his head, an attempt to drown out his mother’s voice. “LUHAN!!!!!!!!!!”
 
Giving up, Luhan got off his bed with a huff and ruffled his hair.
 
“I’m up!!!” With heavy feet, Luhan grabbed an outfit from his closet and headed to his washroom to get ready. He had stayed up late on the phone with Meiyin last night, leaving him with only five hours of sleep. Even then, he had barely gotten a wink of shut eye from the butterflies dancing in his stomach.
 
Once Luhan deemed himself fit to leave the house, he headed downstairs and grabbed a seat at the kitchen table.
 
“What were you doing last night Luhan? It’s so unlike you to oversleep, I haven’t had to wake you up since you were twelve.” Luhan’s mother placed his breakfast in front of him before grabbing a seat in front of him, the seat next to her empty as always.
 
“It’s nothing; I was just working on a project.” Luhan didn’t know why he lied but he felt that he should keep his relationship with Meiyin a secret from his mother for now. He doesn’t want to tell them just yet.
 
“Hmm, okay. How have your sessions been Luhan?”
 
“Good, they’ve been really good.” Luhan’s mother nodded her head before taking a bite of her omelette. “Thanks for pushing me to get help.”
 
A small smile appeared on Luhan’s mother’s face, her eyes slightly watery from the changes that have occurred in her son over the past few weeks.
 
 
 
 
Meiyin pouted as she glared at her laughing boyfriend. He had only wanted to surprise her; he didn’t mean to make her fall over from the shock but he couldn’t help but laugh at her misfortune. She looked absolutely adorable sitting on the floor with her lower lips protruding.
 
“Luhaaaaan!”
 
“Okay, okay, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to!” Luhan leaned over and helped his girlfriend up to her feet, earning himself a smack on the arm in the process.
 
“I hate you.” The corner of Luhan’s eyes crinkled as he looked at his girlfriend lovingly. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a soft hug before pressing a kiss on her forehead.
 
“No you don’t.”
 
 
 
 
Luhan sat on the floor of his room while photo albums were scattered around him, not a single one was open. No one had told Luhan to do this and no one had pushed Luhan to look back but he himself felt that it was time. He needed to move on, he needed closure. With a deep inhale of air, Luhan opened up the first of many he planned to look through. Luhan’s eyes softened at the images before him, his hands brushing over the smiling faces that he had tried so hard to forget. Luhan continued to flip through the pages that held so many precious memories, his eyes glistening with tears that threatened to fall. A particular picture with both his and Yixing’s family caused the water in Luhan’s eyes to overfill and trickle down his cheeks. The photo was taken during Luhan’s eleventh birthday. Luhan can still remember how happy he felt that day; he was spoiled with extravagant gifts and the center of attention that day. It was the first time his father had made it home before dinner, making Luhan all the more excited. Luhan chuckled as he continued to look through the pictures, why was I trying to forget such wonderful memories again?
 
While reminiscing over the past Luhan realized that the photos that stood out were often taken with both Yixing and his father. Luhan may not be a psychologist but he but the two together and realized that his separation anxiety disorder must have always been apparent even before Sehun’s death and Yixing’s departure. Jiaheng and Meiyin had mentioned that it was somethingone can be born with or develop… With a knowing sigh Luhan closed the photo album in his hands shut and picked up his phone, dialing Jiaheng’s number quickly.
 
“Hello?”