Measuring the High Horse

The Seeress Of Exo

“Baekhyun?” I called out the name of the cloaked man whom I stopped on the street earlier that night, Baekhyun, one of the Guardians of Exo and the Tree of Life. “Stop staring.”

He didn’t seem all too pleased with that order. He looked down, away from me as I picked up the next round of drinks for a new batch of customers from the bar. I had gone back to the bar after the incident earlier and Baekhyun followed me. He promptly sat down on a stool at the bar, chin in his palm, as he watched me work as soon as he entered. This caused my comment to slip without me really thinking about his feelings.

I walked towards the table where the drinks were intended to go and set them down, showing them my best customer friendly smile. All the while, I could feel Baekhyun’s aura penetrating my senses.

When I turned back to the bar, he had his hands on the counter, trying with all his might not to look in my direction. I walked near him and sat down since right now, the bar was not that busy. The bartender eyed me and I did the same back, daring him to say something. In the end, he let it go.

“Fine, look all you want.” I sighed, a slight smile on my face as he turned towards me. He was looking at me as though I was a piece of history in a museum he couldn’t believe still existed.

“Does everyone else know already?”

I assumed he was asking if everyone already knew I was the Seeress of Exo, or supposedly was. “No and don’t ask me who knows. Right now, you’re the ninth one I’ve met.” By ‘one’ I meant Guardian but still, I didn’t feel comfortable just saying the word out loud anymore. There was something slightly dangerous feeling about it. Something I had been feeling since this morning, when I had that dream about my past; at least I hope that’s what it was. Another question I had popped into my head then, “By the way, are you all male?”

He didn’t seem to understand why I would ask such a question but answered anyway, “Yes.”

My sanity almost crumbled at that affirmative. I would have to deal with twelve Guardians and they were all men? Just my luck.

“We have always all been male.” He told me upon seeing the look on my face.

I should have figured as much but for some reason I kept on trying to convince myself it wasn’t true. I sighed and rested my chin on my palm as I leaned onto the bar counter, “How am I supposed to find a boyfriend like this?”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened at my statement, “Boyfriend? You won’t be having one of those.” I turned to him, my eyebrows scrunched together. “Your highness, we have pledged ourselves to you and you to us. A relationship with a man will only get in the way of your ability to make rational decisions for the benefit of Exo.”

I was about to ask if he was kidding but from the look of his face, he wasn’t. All of this was hardly fair. All I wanted in life was a family and now I wouldn’t be having one? The thought of never having children stunned me. I was planning on having two by the time I was in my late twenties. Now, at the age of 18, my dreams were crushed.

“Is something wrong?” He asked me, completely unaware of how his words affected me.

I locked eyes with him and shook my head no, “No. Everything’s great.”

 

 

 

After finishing work, I headed back to my apartment, Baekhyun by my side. I had told him I was going to get some of my clothes and he insisted in coming along with me. After grabbing a few clothes and other necessities before stuffing them into a suitcase, I turned around to inspect him.

“Do you have to wear that cloak all the time?”

He looked down at his cloak before answering me, as though he didn’t realize he was wearing it, “They are the ceremonial robes of the Guardians.” I gave him a look that asked ‘is that a yes?’ and he answered, “No, I don’t have to.”

“You can wear whatever makes you comfortable, alright?” I thought for a moment and laughed, “Then again, I’m sure you’ll say that’s the most comfortable huh?” I lightly laughed and turned my attention back to lugging my suitcase out the doorway of my apartment.

He blinked blankly at me, “You are not what I pictured.”

I was in the middle of lifting my suitcase over the doorway so I hadn’t heard him. I turned to him when I finished, “What did you say?”

He thought for a moment if he should voice out his thoughts. However, if his Seeress asked for something, he would oblige. “You’re a bit more relaxed than I thought you would be. I expected you to be more demanding. More assertive. Much more ignorant. Instead, you have a calming feeling about you.”

I scoffed at his comment, “So basically you thought I would turn out to be some innocent princess who is used to getting what she wants?”

Baekhyun let out a genuine laugh, forgetting to be polite to his Seeress, “Basically.”

“Well then, sorry to disappoint.” I smiled at him and he did the same. I looked back down to my suitcase at the door. “By the way,” I gave him a pathetic smile, “Could you help me with this?”

An amused grin spread out across his face, “I may have to take back my statement from earlier.”

I rolled my eyes as he walked over and lifted the suitcase.

 

 

 

“How should I go about meeting the last three of you?” I asked Baekhyun out loud as we walked down the street, side by side. He was carrying my suitcase still despite me trying to take it from him on multiple occasions.

“You found me by accident didn’t you? Wait for an accident to happen.” Baekhyun said with a smile. I found him to be much more playful than I thought he would be when I first saw him. He stopped me and nudged me to look upwards, “But that doesn’t mean I can’t help you find the site of a looming accident.”

I followed his eyes and found him pointing up to large building, a hotel. I met his eyes again, questioning why he brought me here.

“Go to the rooftop.” He told me, “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of your suitcase.”

I pointed to myself then to the building, mouthing an ‘are you serious right now?’

He responded by gesturing me towards the building again, “It’s getting late, so you better hurry.”

“You’re not coming?”

He shook his head no but then stopped, “If you order me, you know I have to.” Baekhyun half expected me to tell him to come with me. Once again, he was proven wrong in his expectations of his Seeress.

“Alright. Don’t let anyone die on your watch okay?” I pointed my two fingers from my eyes to his to indicate I would be watching him. He laughed and nodded his head.

“Okay. See you at home.”

 

 

 

Like Baekhyun told me to, I went to the rooftop. The entire time, I had his last words stuck in my head. ‘See you at home.’ Was that what it was now? My home? The thought comforted me in a way I didn’t understand.

The elevator only took me to the top floor and the sound made me break out of my thoughts. I had to walk up a flight of stairs to get there. When I did, I opened the door without hesitation, half expecting it to be locked but it wasn’t. It swung open and I stepped outside into the cold air.

At first, my eyes squinted to adjust to the bright lights of the city that shone from below. Then, I saw it. On the rooftop there were flowers. Flowers lining the entire surface of the rooftop. There were dim lights shining from underneath the flowers and a small red cobble stone path that lead forward and winded through the flowers.

It was beautiful, breathtakingly so. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I looked straight and saw a black figure. The outline which lit up underneath the flowers was that of a cloak and I knew I found who I was looking for.

He turned suddenly but apparently did not see me. He held out his hand over a bucket beside him and water flowed from the bucket and weaved around his arm. He sent the water sprinkling over the flowers next to him before he took a deep breath.

All done. Now I can get back home.

I was too stunned by the feat he just accomplished, I failed to realize he had now noticed my presence. He didn’t get defensive as the others had or even question who I was. Instead, his unhooded face produced a smile.

“Yes?”

I pointed between him and the bucket of water, still a bit shocked, “You, with the water just now.” I managed to stutter out.

She saw?

“It’s kind of hard to not when you just show off like that.” I answered him.

Wait, did I speak out loud just now?

“No, you didn’t.”

He stared at me for a moment longer before collapsing onto the ground.

Literally.

He just fell down flat onto his face.

I ran over, wondering what I should do. I flipped him over and saw he was unconscious.

“Wake up.” I shook him softly. He still was out cold. I patted his face with my hand multiple times, “Come on. Don’t pass out on me. Wake up.” After a moment, his eyes fluttered open. I breathed out in relief, “Thank goodness.”

He quickly sat up and his head pounded, causing him to grip his temple. He shook his head a few times before looking up at me, his eyes glazed with confusion, “Am I dreaming?”

“Definitely not.” I almost laughed at his question but thought I shouldn’t laugh at someone who had just passed out.

“Then you’re,” He stopped for a minute and bit his bottom lip, “the Seeress of Exo.”

“Nice to meet you.” I stood up and held out my hand to him to help him up. Instead of taking my gesture, he shuffled onto his knees and gripped my hand so quickly I almost stumbled forward.

“Your Highness!” He yelled the title as though he couldn’t believe it. His voice became low as he held my hand to his forehead, “Your highness. Why did you only come now?” His low, gruff voice struck a cord within me. I felt a build up of guilt inside of my chest.

I didn’t know what to say. My voice stuck in my throat. So, I let my actions do the talking. I grasped his hands in my own and motioned him to stand. He gave in to me and stood up. When he looked up, I was shocked to find tears in his eyes.

“H-Hey,” I stuttered, not knowing what to do now, “Don’t cry okay? Don’t cry.” I shook his hand softly, hoping the small movement would calm him down. “Why would you cry?”

“You’re here now.” Was all he said as he clutched tightly onto my hand.