Birthday Gifts

The Seeress Of Exo

He stared on into the darkness of the room that surrounded him. Darkness he never thought he would tire of seeing. Darkness he was fine with molding into, fading into, disappearing amongst. At least, he used to be fine with it. Now, he wasn’t sure. He wasn’t sure if this was what he wanted. What he was sure about however, was that it was necessary. The fact that he was unsure what he wanted made him sure he couldn’t pursue anything past this deafening silence.

His gaze lowered, landing on his hands, onto his open palms that shone a pale white under the single light lit above him. And he was back there, back in that moment in which they didn’t shine white. Back in that moment where a blue hue surrounded him. Engulfed him. When two arms engulfed him.

When his Seeress clutched to him, hung to him, molded into him and made him unwilling to, unwanting to, do the same with this darkness any longer. Yet, it wasn’t the physical nature of it that made him question himself. He knew what she was seeking in him. He knew that for a moment, a single moment, she wanted to hold the dubious, the evading, the fleeting, future. Not him. So, the physical contact meant something much deeper than just the act of being closer.

But, it had brought him closer. It, the look in her eyes as she pulled away exactly twelve minutes later. It, the smile on her face that showed a renewed sense of meaning, a new sense of confidence. It, the feeling he had then. The feeling that she was the Seeress of Exo.

He was not only just now attributing the title to her. No, she had always been their Seeress to him. But, he had never felt that more clearly then at that moment. That moment in which he honestly thought to himself that he would follow her for the benefit of the future of Exo Planet until the day he dies.

Such a thing to think is deadly in itself. Deadly in the literal sense in that he would follow her even unto death. Deadly in the figurative sense in that he didn’t even mind doing so at that very moment. That very moment in which she smiled at him. Looked straight at him in the darkness and even if she couldn’t see him, it were as though she could. As though she had as her smile grew broader and her soothing voice flowed from her lips, as fleeting as the future. So much so he himself wanted to affirm that she had said what she did. That he wanted to hear it again even though he clearly heard her say it once already.

“I’m silly and I’m weird and you spoil me too much.” The light of the moon danced across her eyes, a playfulness he came to associate with her so lividly displayed, so palpable, he smiled as well, “But, for that, thank you. For everything you do, for everything you will do, thank you ahead of time, Luhan.”

That’s what brought him closer to her. Mentally. Spiritually. Together. As she had emphasized in her speech to the Exotians in the People’s Court. He found her innate ability to be so open, so seemingly reachable, so real, amazing. It made him proud. It made him proud to look upon the face of each and every Exotian in front of them and see the pride they held in her as well. She was brave because she knew it was necessary.

Yet, showing weakness was not something that scared her. She had no fear in admitting her just that, her fears. She did not so selfishly hide her insecurities from others, only to have them bubble to the surface later on. She talked through them. She figured them out before they became problems. She had things she hid, but just this morning, she actually ate one strawberry. And she knew that he knew, that they all knew by then, about her hesitation. Yet, she worked through it. She pushed forward. She looked to the future no matter how uncertain, no matter how hard it was to see.

She says she’s silly for her optimism. For her overwhelming feelings. He couldn’t help but disagree. She isn’t silly. She’s human. She has the right to feelings and to optimism.

She says she’s weird for the way she thinks. For believing their powers are cool. For her open acceptance of her title. He disagreed once more. The way she thinks is simply another sign of her openness to new experiences. Her willingness to adapt to any situation.

And these qualities are what made her so different from past Seeresses, yet so much more fitting of the title. Raw humanness, adaptability, an open book policy when it came to any and all conflicts, internal or external, and the playfulness of her eyes. And the soothing tone of her voice. And her smile. Her smile that was like the setting sun, brilliant in it’s own right. All of it. All of it tightly wrapped up into one person.

His Seeress. Their Seeress. Exo Planet’s Seeress.

If this wasn’t amazing, Luhan wasn’t sure what was.

And it made him want to spoil her.

It made him want things.

That is what caused him to again indulge himself in the darkness once more this morning. This is what caused him to promptly call each Guardian to a meeting that afternoon to tell them of what he had done last night, as he had intended to do even before he had knocked on that walnut colored door and was drowned in blue.

 

 

 

I stared on at the calendar hanging in the kitchen, my eyes resting upon today’s date. I had resigned not to tell them what today was. It wasn’t something I wanted to hide in particular. If one of them brought it up, I wouldn’t deny it. It wasn’t exactly something I could deny so easily after all but that wasn’t the reason.

It would be the first time I’m celebrating it as the mighty Seeress of Exo. So, maybe I just want to spend it quietly. To reminisce about it on my own. To think back on this year on my own.

“Your highness.”

D.O called me as I sat at the kitchen island, most likely noticing that I had been blankly staring off into the distance for quite some time now. Why did I know? Because he had those wide eyes of his on me, his lips forming an inquiring frown.

“Yes?” I asked as natural as could be, because well, I was, this was, this scene of D.O baking while I watched, and I couldn’t have been more at peace that it was, “Are they done? Can I eat them now?” I peered over him as best as I could, looking forward to trying his oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies. Honestly, while he wasn’t here, I had tried some of the batter, just a tiny bit, and I was definitely looking forward to having the finished product.

At my words, his eyebrows unfurrowed and his frown disappeared, “Yes, you can eat them now, your highness.” He placed the plate in front of me, a pile of five or six cookies on it. As though they had caught the heavenly smell from afar and could not resist themselves, two Guardians came through the kitchen door. Judging from their clothes, they had just finished working out in the training room.

“Chocolate chip?” Chanyeol asked as he took long strides, putting his legs to good use, up to the kitchen island.

“I hope it’s not raisins, I hate raisins.” Baekhyun grumbled as he followed closely behind him, his fringe sticking to his forehead due to the sweat that coated his face.

“You’re going to ruin your workout if you have some now,” D.O advised as Chanyeol’s hand was but a hair’s width away from the steaming cookie that lay atop the tempting pile. His words caused Chanyeol to freeze, his upper lip curling in irritation that he was so close yet so far from enjoying the treat.

“Why hold back though? Tomorrow, I’ll just make sure you work harder.” I mused to him and he hung onto the latter of my statement, a wide, teeth showing smile spreading across his face.

You’ll make sure, your highness?” Chanyeol raised an eyebrow, to which I simply nodded. And that was enough for him to take one without hesitation, devouring it within seconds. Based upon his facial expression, it was just as good as it smelled. And as he chewed, Baekhyun’s hand snaking from behind me and grabbing one for himself as well, I heard his deep voice echo against the walls of my head.

I’ll make sure you keep your word on that one, your highness.

There was no need to. I would be keeping it without his forcing. But, the idea that he was just as excited as I was to watch him train in tomorrow’s weekly sparring day, the frequency of them had increased at Kris’s and Suho’s vehemence what with the Council’s reaction to me being announced as Seeress of Exo publically still unpredictable, no matter what the implications of his training was, made me happy.

Truly happy.

Truly happy as Baekhyun was grateful to find that it was indeed chocolate chips and not raisins that lay in the baked treat, his hand picking up another cookie after I urged it on him with a single “You can have another” and he promptly did just that.

Truly happy as D.O mumbled to himself about wishing he had made more as Xiumin and Tao entered the kitchen, making quick work of the other ten or so that he had still sitting on the pan on the stove, with the help of Baekhyun and Chanyeol of course.

Soon, all of the cookies but one were gone. I had not a single one. Yet, I was truly and irrevocably happy. Content. Satisfied. All of those adjectives and more.

And it made me wonder, was I this happy last year? Last year on this same day? My days were filled with them now. With the Guardians. I could barely remember the details of this same day just last year.

And I wondered something else. I wondered if today the Exotians were just as happy, just as satisfied, just as content as I was. That’s when I felt it, an idea sprouting in my mind. Maybe because I somehow knew what would happen next. What happened next?

“Your highness, if I may intercede.”

Luhan’s voice came from the ceiling soon after, a translucent orb was there, floating in front of the six of us. His tone was different today. And the difference wasn’t noticed only by me as the five Guardians in the room awaited his next words without question.

“Of course, Luhan.” I answered him as he remained quiet, looking for my approval before he continued.

“This afternoon, I request the presence of the Guardians and you, your highness, at the Main Hall of the Guardians.”

Asking why wasn’t the first thing that came to mind. In fact, I didn’t ask him anything at all.

“I won’t attend.”

Five pairs of eyes landed on me, not understanding my rejection. Luhan himself was the one who addressed me about it, “Your highness, is something—”

But, I didn’t let him finish, “You don’t want me to.” His tone said it all. He was asking me to come out of duty. Out of respect. I would have been dense not to realize the forced nature of his words. I’ve said it before, have I not? I will not force anything on him. Not on him and not on any of the Guardians. “You do not want me to, so I will not attend. Instead, I’ll be going up to the city today.”

“What?” Was the immediate response from Chanyeol to my right, his eyebrows furrowing downwards. He most likely didn’t expect it. None of them should have. Their looks of surprise and confusion were justified.

Luhan, however, was different. He laughed lightly, his words combining with his laughter to form a pleasing tone of voice, a tone I preferred much more, “I understand, your highness. I implore you to stay safe. I will be watching to aid in your venture.”

“As you should.” I joked, earning another light laugh before Luhan’s orb went floating upwards again, disappearing whence it came.

D.O was the first to speak after his departure, “I’m not sure it’s safe for you to go to the city on your own. The Council has yet to respond publically to your announcement.”

“They won’t try anything today.” That response didn’t seem to do the trick in calming his nerves however, causing me to say more on the matter, “The announcement went out just yesterday. If anything occurred in the city today, the backlash would be too great against them. Fingers pointing to them as the culprits would extend immediately. The Council cannot afford to cause an uproar so quickly.” That seemed to work, as D.O nodded, accepting my deduction. Though, perhaps my deduction is not the correct label for it.

“Have you been talking to Luhan?” Baekhyun questioned me, his eyes narrowing.

“It looks like I’ve been caught.” I tsked, snapping my fingers as a smile lingered beneath my pursed lips. I did indeed talk to Luhan this morning about the prospect of me going out today, the reason he was so open to the idea.

“It practically screamed Luhan.” Baekhyun shook his head in mock disapproval. “They cannot afford to cause an uproar so quickly. The backlash would be too great. It was all so Luhan-esque.”

“I wonder what the meeting is about.” Chanyeol meandered around the kitchen table, making his way towards the door of the kitchen, “I guess I’ll go change then. I’ll see you tonight, your highness. Remember to stay safe, okay?” He lifted two of his fingers to his eyes, pointing between his own and mine as though to say he’d be watching me, before he left.

Baekhyun finished off the rest of the cookie in his hands, struggling once more to catch up to him, “I’m coming too.” But, he made sure to pivot on his heel and curtsey lavishly before he left as well, a sight I don’t think I’ll ever tire of seeing, “Goodbye for now, your highness.”

“Would you like to play chess in the meantime, your highness?” Xiumin pulled my attention away from the doorway.

“We’ll beat you this time too.” Tao accepted his proposition before I said a single word, throwing a determined look my way.

“I asked her highness to play, not you.” Xiumin scowled, not at all satisfied that Tao had helped me beat him for the past three games we had played, using what Xiumin called “cheats.” And honestly, when Xiumin wasn’t looking, Tao would move the pieces subtly, his power not exactly being used as it was intended to though proving to be extremely useful nevertheless.

“I guess I’ll make more cookies then. Kris and Kai are coming back from the city soon.” A low groan escaped him as he turned back towards the stove. Tao and Xiumin set off for the lounge, discussing with each other the definition of “cheating” versus “using the natural abilities bestowed upon you to win.”

And before I left along with them, I made sure to wrap the last cookie in a paper towel and take it with me, something D.O caught sight of and through my mind rang his melodious voice. And I could see from the corner of my eyes the sight of his lips curving upwards.

Enjoy your day, your highness.

 

 

 

“And what now?”

Luhan turned to the person who questioned him, “If you are referring to what I intend to do now, then I will say that nothing will change. I appeared once and only once in front of her highness. It will not happen again.” It was a repeat of the conversation they had had with Kai, the same person who had asked him this question, and his words were the same. It wouldn’t happen again. That was the conclusion, the conclusion he had come to, the same as Kai’s, after he told the Guardians of the exchange between their Seeress and himself last night. He did not tell them of the reason why she hugged him, feeling as though that would be bringing up personal matters she has already put behind herself, and he did not put the blame on her in the least, even though she had hinted at the desire to see him and this led to him going to her in the end. He would never say it was by her initiation that he had done what he did.

Kai sighed upon seeing that Luhan didn’t understand what he meant, “No, I mean, what exactly do you expect us to say in response to that? How do you expect us to react, Luhan?” The room was silent as the other ten Guardians ruminated on Luhan’s words, taking them in and deciding with careful deliberation what to say. And Kai, in that moment, said it all, “Do you want us to be mad at you? To scold you? If it’s reprieve you’re looking for then you won’t find it here. The past is the past and there’s nothing we can do to change the fact that you went to her highness last night. However, based upon what I’ve heard, based upon what you’ve told us and what you’re not telling us, which is I’m sure for the Seeress’s own benefit, it was her that hugged you. Most likely for reasons far beyond and nowhere near those of romantic orientation based upon her personality. So then, I’m not exactly sure what you want from us.”

There it was again. That word.

Want.”

What did Luhan want?

He knew.

He knew better than anyone.

He wanted to tell the Guardians what occurred partly because he wanted them to give him, to display for him, the correct, the appropriate, way to respond to his actions.

“Luhan,” Kris suddenly called, pulling his attention away from the currently seething Kai, “we’re not going to admonish you for this. You chose to tell us because you felt that hiding it would have only served to bring up misunderstandings in the future, correct?”

“If that’s the case,” Suho interjected, his voice calm, not a single hint of malice to be found, “then you shouldn’t be so conflicted about it. Thank you for telling us. I’m sure each one of us here is glad you said something now instead of hiding it as though there were something to hide at all. But, going back to your previous statement, I’d like to know if that’s really what you plan on doing. If you sincerely plan on going about things as you have in the future.”

Luhan could see it. He could see the looks of hope on each one of their faces. Hope that he would no longer keep himself in that dark room of his. But, he felt responsible. He felt responsible for what happened in the past, even if it had nothing to do with him. He felt responsible because he knew he was capable of doing the same thing his predecessor had done. And he didn’t want to. Luhan didn’t want to be like him. And he wouldn’t. He decided that he wouldn’t. No matter how many times the others told him, argued against him for his decision now and in the past, he stood firm.

“I do.” He answered, as resolutely, as undeterred, as always.

The response towards his answer was a nod from both Kris and Suho, conflicted glances by both D.O and Tao, a shrug of the shoulders of Chanyeol and Chen, a displeased frown by Sehun, a sigh from the lips of Baekhyun, and a hum in slight irritation, in actuality not slight in the slightest, from Kai.

And lastly, a single statement that held in it the hopes of all eleven Guardians.

“There’s always a seat for you between Lay and I at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Luhan. Always.” Xiumin assured with a small smile, Lay nodding his head in agreement. There was a place for him, even if he wasn’t there at the current moment to fill it.

They could only hope he would someday.

They could only hope that someday would come soon.

 

 

 

How did I find myself here? Here, on this same park bench like a habit. Here, where a small boy in front of me stared up at me in wonder. I knew what he was thinking, I could read his mind after all. I knew what he was thinking on this mild afternoon, the sun barely peaking through the dark clouds above yet the faces of the Exotians that passed by me filled with something I hadn’t seen before. Filled with a new kind of life. Maybe I was imagining it. Maybe I was looking at it through rose-colored glasses.

But, they looked more at peace.

More content than they had days ago.

I’m not so conceited to believe that it was me that had done this. That had somehow made the hues of gray that covered the landscape and the people have a twinge of yellow and orange, just a shimmer of it but there nevertheless.  It was the idea of the Seeress being here, being here after so long, that had done it.

And it meant I had a lot of live up to.

And I was more than willing to take that challenge.

I had never been so sure of something before. So sure that I wanted to do right by them. I wanted to do right for them. For all of Exo planet. Maybe it was “her” again, the other me, that felt this. Maybe it was her feelings that were permeating into my subconscious, slowly but surely.

But, I’d like to think that, even if that is true, that this is me. That what I feel right now, the desire to spread out a sense of wellbeing like a blanket over all of them, over all of Exo planet, is real. I’d like to think that it’s really me feeling it, even if only in minute amounts.

And the young boy in front of me was stunned speechless. He was the first one to notice me here, on this bench not far from where a larger group of children were playing kickball. Here, where I was halfway to taking the first bite into the last cookie D.O had baked earlier today. So, to fill the silence, I said the first thing that came to my mind.

“Do you want it?” I pulled the cookie away from my mouth, lowering it towards him, “I heard it’s good.” Heard being the key word here, an inner joke that made me stifle a laugh that caused the young boy to relax and slowly reach forward, taking it in his hand. He questioned it only for a moment, speculating if it was raisins or chocolate chips that he was seeing, something that caused me to laugh again upon remember the Guardian who wondered the same thing, before taking a bite.

And again, it was affirmed that it was indeed as good as it smelt.

So, what day is today?

Today is my birthday.

Today is the day I will remember next year.

The day in which a young boy said my title not even once as he held the remnants of an oatmeal and chocolate chip cookie in his hand, his eyes big and brown, his wisdom just as big. Too big for him, for his age, and thus his unspoken words were a mystery to him as well, yet still, they meant so much.

Will you be here tomorrow? And the day after? And the day after too? Did you mean that?

And I smiled at him, “I did mean it. I’ll be here tomorrow. And the day after. And the week after. And the year after too.”

And with cookie crumbs lining his mouth, he smiled back at me.

Happy.

Satisfied.

Content.

Happy Birthday to me.

Today’s gift is one I won’t forget tomorrow.

Or next week.

Or next year.

Or the years following that.  

I’ll never forget this gift on my first birthday as the Seeress of Exo. 


A/N: 

I didn't update last week. Why? Are you wondering why? If you are, read the rest of this paragraph to find out! If not, just go ahead and skip right on down to the bottom paragraph.

Okay, so here's the deal, I had been given the task of writing a short story for one of my classes. And that story has taken up alot of my time (along with just...class in general) and has been adapted into this. Click on "this" to go to it. That's the short version of my explanation because I don't like giving lengthy excuses (if at all in general). So, why didn't I update last week? I just didn't. Simple. Easy. Nothing too difficult. What do you get in exchange for that? An Luhan story if you clicked on "this." Yeah! Doesn't that sound great? Why haven't you clicked on it yet? Go go go! 

Anyway, about this chapter, I liked it bunches. Bunches and bunches and bunches of oats. Ahem, all jokes aside, it turned out so much better than I thought it would. Did you like it? Do you like the new poster & background combo too? I've always wanted to do something with planets and all that. It turned out much brighter than I thought it would but I kinda like it. How about you?