Chapter 2: Nature rejects the monarch, not the man- Percy Bysshe Shelley

The Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2: “Nature rejects the monarch, not the man - Percy Bysshe Shelley”

Her insignificant heart was nervously beating in a pulse rate she couldn’t count. It was hard to keep thinking about it, the fact that they’ll be seeing each other again in a long while. Trying to calm down the pounding, she closed her eyes and went back to reading the flyer given to her by some students.

There were many students entering. It was already nearing lunchtime, but the number of people going in and out didn’t seem to decrease yet. It was the first Sunday of the month, a day before school actually would begin. She looked at her watch, and it was now half past twelve. Her tummy grumbled on cue. Thinking that it won’t take much time to get to the university, she hadn’t eaten lunch yet. What was taking him so long?

“Sohee-ah,” called from behind a voice she longed to hear, a simple lullaby she miss.

As she turned around to face him, Heechul held his breath in and waited. He used to dream of this day coming about, used to believe that he would be able to see her adorable face again.

Sohee’s image was very different now, if his memory didn’t fail him. Her face was white, cream probably, so pure and innocent, and only the eyes appeared just like before---small and smooth. Her cheeks were still as protuberant as ever, such an attractive trait it was. The dark brown hair was a lot straighter than the last time, but it was of the same length. Heenim couldn’t help gaping at his old dear friend.

The shy freshman bowed in front of him so low that she nearly touched the floor.

“Good to see you again, Heechul-oppa.”

Still, Chul frowned at her gesture. “Is that all what you have to say? Won’t you even say, ‘Oh oppa, I miss you so much’ or something of that sort? Really, Sohee. It makes me feel sad you don’t know that kind of respect.”

The girl blushed deeply, turning away as she tried to laugh out his joke. Heechul then ruptured into extreme mirth and hugged the dongsaeng very tightly as he could, digging his face to her shoulder. Sohee was grateful enough that he wasn’t able to notice the sheer satisfaction it brought to her for her expression was indescribable. If only he knew how she felt.

“I missed you so much,” said Heechul, now slowly letting go of her. “Do you remember the secret hand shake I taught you? The friendship symbol we used to do before we swore something. Do you remember now?”

Sohee tried, but couldn’t. He was twelve and she was nine when they invented that complicated signature everyone in the neighborhood knew.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized, giving up. There was no way she could be able to recall that. It had been ten years since then.

“It’s a good thing you decided to study in SMEU. You’re more of a sister to me than my own real sister is. Mom told me you were coming, family to family.”

She nodded, moving away for personal space to breathe. “Yes, my mom informed your mother I was entering college here. She was inspired to know you…were here, too. I mean, I guess she liked the idea because I would be safe here…because of you, oppa. Mother knows you’ll be able to keep me safe and help out a little when I need it. I thank you now in advance for the things you will do for me in the near future.” She again bowed her head with honor.

Heenim smirked, lowering his head a bit awkwardly. He didn’t really know how to reply to situations like this so it was up to the silence until he thought of a good comeback.

“I’m simply…excited to know you’re here,” the senior told her. “Come on, let’s grab lunch and I’ll show you around so you’ll be accustomed.”

-o0o-

Finally, nine boys were present in the dining area, as Eeteuk expected. He couldn’t identify the names yet, nor was he able to match their rooms to their faces. He never wanted to be a hyung, especially to brats like them. If it were possible, he’d be moving out of the place as soon as someone else out there didn’t want his room. Something about the boys made him feel uncomfortable.

Seated in the table, the boys were ready to eat lunch, provided of course by the chef Hangeng who worked so hard preparing everything. He made pasta as the main dish, plus ramen and white rice balls. Eggs were served too, and red bean delight was reserved for dessert. The Chinese student sat at the very end, the only vacant seat. The whole place was filled with short talks and introductions of each one, new bonds being formed with acts of kindness.

After a prayer, everyone ate quickly and let the silence fill the room. Hangeng received very good comments for the food, every once in awhile his attention would be called. Patiently, the two seniors waited until all the boys finished.

Hangeng then stood up, taking out a small piece of paper of everybody’s names on it. Smiling he started to speak in the kindest tone the boys had ever heard.

“How’s everyone? I hope all are feeling fine after their trip from home. I welcome everyone to dormitory, though it isn’t much. We can help improve it as time goes by, as we stay here for the whole year. This is what we’re going to do, courtesy of our hyung, Eeteuk.” The Chinese boy looked at him, nodding a signal that it should begin. So, on he continued, “I’m Hangeng by the way. Senior. I’m studying linguistics. After my introduction, the one next to me on the right will introduce himself, followed by the next and so on. Get it? Therefore, we’ll be able to know who’s who. So we won’t be strangers even to our own brothers here.”

Brothers, Hangeng thought. Brothers of different faces, brothers of different breed, that’s what they all were. Strangers to their own brothers; what a shameful thing to consider.

“Okay, it is Eeteuk-hyung’s turn to introduce himself,” Hangeng sat down, and started applauding. The younger kids followed, clapping.

Eeteuk beamed at all of them; one by one, he stared at them eye to eye. His dimples showed, deep and so pure. His eyes shined in delight, a feeling not everyone wanted to erase. It was as though, an angel had fallen from heaven.

“My name is Leeteuk. Park Jungsu, that is. You get the idea,” he smirked. “I’m in my fourth year in Film. I hope all will get along with each other. Please do not expect much from me. Let’s all work together to be good friends. Thank you. I’m like Hangeng-sshi here. I’m under a scholarship by SMEU.” Eeteuk’s smile disappeared as soon as he sat down, lost in his own world again.

“I am Donghae,” the boy next to the hyung stood up, greeting them with his cheerful smile. His eyes were covered by his russet hair. “I am a sophomore student in Biology. My father thinks I’m very good at all the sports I play. I do love sports. I took Biology because it shows me how truly important life is. After Biology, my father wants me to continue studying medicine so I’ll be able to help him and Mom. They told me to have the scholarship the school offered. Clearly, I’m on their list. I love my family very much. As of this year, you’re part of my family. I hope we can get along here, too. Thank you so much Hyungs and Dongsaengs.”

Everyone cheered for him, as he bowed his head for some respect. Donghae’s main intention to get into SMEU of course was to fulfill his father’s wishes, not to disappoint his loved ones just because he wanted to be in the varsity club (which he was now in, actually).

Beside him sat the monkey-looking boy. He was skinny, jaw line well developed. His hair fringes up front touched his brown eyes, shimmering in the light like jewels under the sun. His smile was to some extent dorky, but it made him unique as well. The two boys wounded up quite strong all of a sudden. Both seemed like the best of friends.

“Hello, my name’s Lee Hyukjae. Even so, people often call me Eunhyuk. I graduated from Seoul National High School---a special private school only for boys. I’m currently studying Da

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter