Chapter 3: Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain- Friedrich von Schiller

The Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 3: “Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich von Schiller”

“Eeteuk-hyung, we have a new…” entered Heenim into the dormitory, together with Sohee and Kyuhyun. The living room was silent, not a single shadow from anyone was in sight. And it was stupid of the boys to have left the main door blindly open for anyone. They were beginning to be completely irresponsible.

“Everyone must be asleep,” he told Sohee, a little disappointed. “Oh well. I’ll walk you to your dorm. You’ll easily get lost, if I don’t go with you. Do you mind, Sohee?”

She tilted her head and smiled. “Thank you for the kindness you’ve shown me Heechul-oppa.”

Heenim simply shrugged, grinning with pleasure. “I know I’m awesome, right?”

Wondering what to do with him, Heechul looked at Kyuhyun. He couldn’t possibly leave him alone here without anyone attending to him. He might be pretending to be a young lost kid but he was actually a killer or of some sort.

“I’ll stay here,” Kyu replied, somewhat understanding the hyung’s concerned look. “I won’t touch anything. Don’t worry I’ll be fine. There are others here, right? I’ll just go ask them. Get going, your girlfriend’s probably tired by now.”

Sohee blushed in crimson as Chul beamed. “Nah, we’re just really close friends.”

“Please don’t misunderstand us, Kyuhyun-oppa,” Sohee murmured.

Kyuhyun smirked. “Oh sure. Whatever. That’s what they always say before they go and have steamy---”

“Okay, Kyuhyun,” Heechul interrupted sternly, raising his eyebrows in disgust. “As your hyung, you better bite that tongue of yours to show your respect. Sohee and I are friends---please do not dare give any other meaning to it. We’ll talk later. Learn your manners, kid.” And he left, leaving Kyuhyun to his musings about the two.

“Don’t they all start from being friends? I mean, what’s wrong with actually saying they’re going to have to do it eventually in their lives? He’s totally mean,” mumbled Kyuhyun to himself as he started to take out his Nintendo DSi from his bag. It was sort of a gift from his dad for winning a silly math competition when he was only 12. The antique thing made him feel crappy, but he loved it anyways.

Lounging himself to the couch, he continued playing starcraft, that pixel version where it utterly in terms of the graphics and mini-game plays. What else could he do? All his other game consoles were practically battery drained. His laptop too---containing a few of the best pirated games he downloaded online---was out of energy. He had spent too much time on all of them.

“Heechul-sshi,” yawned a person coming down the staircase. He slowly approached the sofa and grabbed the remote to turn the TV on. He continued yawning as he did so, still mentioning Heechul’s name.

The channel was left as it was a few hours ago when Donghae dominated it with his soccer influence---a basketball game was now on between a few amateurs.

“Heechul, what were you…” Eeteuk’s eyes grew bigger, seeing this unknown guy on their blue couch. He was tall, in fact, black curly hair and eyes so well focused on his game.

“Ah, excuse me?” Eeteuk made sure his presence was heard. “What are you doing here?”

Kyuhyun jerked up, bowing in response, lazily introducing himself. “I’m Cho Kyuhyun. I’m assigned to this dormitory. Can I have a room, please?”

Eeteuk could not believe what he was hearing. The boy sounded ever quite as confident as to where he would stay but there must have been some misunderstanding.

“Now you tell me, Kyuhyun-sshi,” Teuk responded. “All the rooms are taken. There must be some mistake. May I please see your schedule?”

Scanning through his other large bag, Kyuhyun rolled his eyes impatiently at the hyung. He found his paper given to him by the administration. Leeteuk slowly looked over it, getting all the information out. And surely, Kyuhyun wasn’t lying.

“But this is impossible,” the eldest said. “There are only ten beds, how can we fit you in? It says Building 13. I’m sorry, Kyuhyun. It’s not like I don’t want you to stay here, but we need to see the management. It’s for the best and because I feel sorry for you. Leave your things here for the meantime. Follow me; we need to have this cleared.”

The Admin office is located at central, the very pentagon of the whole university. The perimeter of SMEU is around twenty-five hectares, an area of more or less a hundred sq. meters alone. It consists of fifty academic buildings, 26 individual dormitories for the men and 26 for the girls that are on the outskirts of the whole school. Nine cafes are scattered around each of the streets, fifteen restaurants, and one enormous park by the bay. Complete wireless internet access for preference in research subjects is accessible for students anywhere in the campus even when this is usually used only for facebook and twitter. Nine mini-auditoriums for every theatre and dance or any music-oriented classes are open only for specified students. ‘The Great Sydney’, acquiring its name from the Australia’s famous structure by the sea, is the largest of all the opera houses within the university and major performances are usually done here for a general audience, including the parents and relatives of the performers, along with very important people of the country. Two gyms are used for classes that require the field. A mini-bank is applicable for everyone to receive their monthly allowance from their parents through the objectivity of depositing won in the bank. Newly opened, the bank has already attained a great number of students who wisely choose to work in this cooperative for the sake of their safety and assurance.

Leeteuk’s eyes were getting weary and discontented. Truth was, he rather be in some different dorm than being with the rest of those obnoxious-looking boys who probably didn’t know what the difference between a cat and a dog was. If it were possible, he would transfer. If the management approved of Kyuhyun’s stay at Building 13, he would give up his bed and move out, finally. Oh, the joy of thinking it would happen, Eeteuk carelessly thought to himself the wonders. He seriously couldn’t take Sungmin’s pink addiction. It was driving him nuts.

“Ah, you know my name,” Kyuhyun disturbed him, “but I don’t know yours.”

“Park Jungsu. Leeteuk as you may. Happy now?” He snapped and continued walking towards the office, not looking behind at all.

Kyuhyun felt the sharp knife that stabbed through him. Seriously, was he so unwanted by Eeteuk-hyung like this? Had he done anything wrong? As much as possible, he really didn’t want enemies as early as the first day of school of his whole college life.

Leeteuk moved sharply across the students that hogged the questioning booth, as fast as he could he slip into the front row, dragging Kyu by his sleeves.

“C’mon, kid. I don’t like waiting around,” Eeteuk told him. “I’m more tired than you are. Let’s get this ing over with so I can go back sleeping.”

The counter was open, and a middle-aged skinny woman waited for the two to be settled with their dilemma before talking to her. Eeteuk instantly changed, his eyes going accordingly with his adorable smile. He faced her, nevertheless, with the most angelic face anyone would see on this planet.

“Lia-noona,” Eeteuk cried cutely, trying to act like a child. He placed Kyuhyun’s schedule into the woman’s hands---his pout could have brought the whole town down.

“Noona, please double-check this boy’s schedule. There must be some kind of mistake because all rooms in Building 13 are taken, no extra beds. Are there other dormitories that can accept him?”

The noona looked at Eeteuk squarely in the eye and wondered why he meddled with other boys’ affairs. She logged into the school’s main account and searched for the boy’s data. Eeteuk kept on stressing and crossing his fingers that all would be well soon.

“Cho Kyuhyun, you say?” asked the noona for reassurance, looking over her glasses.

Eeteuk nodded in reply. “Indeed, it is him, Lia-noona. “

The lady chewed her gum nonstop, eyeing the senior if there was any possibility of this being a total joke. However, found Eeteuk’s eyes to be even more possessive of the feeling hidden within, his wits nearly killing him.

“Cho Kyuhyun is staying at Building 13 with the following: Park Jungsu, Kim Heechul…the Chinese boy Hangeng, is it? Also with Kim Jongwoon, Lee Sungmin, Lee Hyukjae, Lee Donghae, Choi Siwon, Kim Ryeowook and lastly Kim Kibum,” muttered Lia the secretary. “His first period is Basic Algebra at Room 234. Next is Chemistry by Room 45. Afterwards, he has a two-hour vacant time. In the afternoon, he has English at Room 128. Arithmetic at Room 87. Physics with Mr. Seok at Room 135. That’s for the Monday schedule. Shall I continue?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Eeteuk said, annoyed. “There are now eleven boys in Building 13. How can this be possible? Don’t you know there are only five rooms inside the dorm?  That only makes ten beds.”

“One room inside the dorm,” started Lia, “has a double-decked bed, making

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter