Chapter 17

The Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 17: “Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas”

“I don’t ing understand her! Am I that ty?” the maknae ranted, nearly ripping his hair out.

“You’re so lucky your Siwon-hyung didn’t hear you using them again,” Donghae teased when they were all settled in the living room, watching yet again a movie showcasing the latest action blockbuster.

Leeteuk called him to his side, as Kyuhyun lounged himself next to the hyung, arms folded as he pouted. The hyung patted his head like a dear big brother, smiling at his defeat.

“You know what,” Eeteuk began. “All those girls are gorgeous that they cause too much of a heartache.”

Sungmin nodded, agreeing. “Sunny, for example.”

“Ah, I wouldn’t say Sica’s like that,” Donghae defended. “She’s not that kind of girl.”

“Hyoyeon doesn’t sound like that either,” Eunhyuk quietly added. “But...but I’m too shy to move our friendship up the notch. I’m afraid it’ll be like what happened to me and Boa.”

“Yoona,” Kibum thought to himself, listening in to his hyungs’ conversation as he watched the movie.

“Would you guys shut up already?” whined Heechul, ever so concentrated on the screen. “We don’t care about those women. Get over it.”

“Let’s just pray Wookie’s doing well at that party,” Hangeng replied. “After all, Siwon-sshi was invited too.”

-o0o-

Her mother patiently curled her brunette hair, applied with all hair stuff chemicals to make it look so pretty and unique. Her dress was gorgeous on her that she couldn’t even believe it was her in the mirror. It bothered her still that Wookie wasn’t coming at all, and that, she waited for him to explain. Not even a single text message, Ryeowook failed to give her a reason why he couldn’t make it.

“Beige dear, where is the boy you were talking about? I can’t wait to meet him tonight,” the stylist said excitedly.

She shook her head sadly, tears nearly forming near the edge of her lashes. “He won’t be coming, Mom.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know, Mom.” She palely replied.

“Ah, don’t sweat,” her mom told her. “If he’s your true love, I bet destiny will tell you why he couldn’t make it.”

“Mom,” whimpered Beige in irritation, hating the fact that her mother liked to torture her this way. “I don’t believe in true love. And he...he isn’t like that. It’s not destiny. Stop with the fairytales, you’ve raised me better than that.... just to believe in silly Cinderella and the seven dwarfs.”

 “It was Snow White, sweetie.”

“Clearly never been a Disney princess here,” Beige smiled, ticking off her past Halloween costumes.

Her mother kissed her head in encouragement. “Whatever kind of princess you are, darling----there will always be that prince charming in the end.”

“Mom, I’m not a kid,” Beige told her.  “I’m better-looking as a pirate. You said so yourself.”

“Now you’re prettier,” With that she left her daughter to stare at the magnificent face in the mirror, an image she hardly knew. Beige had the beauty of a goddess----only she couldn’t accept such vanity everyone proclaimed of her. They didn’t know her, how much she had been through.

Finally, in a long time, she was the princess of tonight’s event.

-o0o-

By her window she stared at the all the men in tuxedos and women in their fine fashionable trends----high heels and Gucci bags, she couldn’t help but gape from her seat. She was dealing with rich men and women. How much more of this humiliation did she have to withstand?

The moment Onew parked his car, Sooyoung instantaneously spotted Mr. Choi at the corner, talking to a girl whom she had never met, and a glass of champagne at one hand. Onew got out of his car as he opened Sooyoung’s door for her, but she wouldn’t dare budge at all.

“Get out, Sooyoung,” Onew ordered, glancing at the guests his brother had over.

She shook her head. “No. I told you I’ll embarrass myself.”

“Get moving or you’ll embarrass me too,” he impatiently whispered. “I want to eat some chicken.”

A spotlight reached where Onew stood, as he quickly covered his eyes from the brightness. Sooyoung got out when the speakers began to deafen the crowd’s noise, surprisingly Sooyoung seeing Onew’s smaller look-alike at the center stage with a microphone at hand.

“Acknowledging the arrival of my hyung, Onew,” the boy said. “A round of applause from the crowd would be lovely.”

They clapped in unison, whispering as they went about with their personal lives. Siwon gazed at them; smile widening when he realized Sooyoung was at the party as well----and wasn’t she just hot in that dress she wore? Siwon found it hard to look away from the shimmering light the two were in.

Luna, Ryeowook at her arm as she introduced him to some of the her friends in high school, stopped when she realized Onew was in the vicinity, keeping a close watch of where he was now standing----for tonight, she would tell him that she missed him so much. It didn’t matter what they had in high school, for that was the main reason why she came to SMEU in the first place.

The birthday celebrant still stared at his brother, noticing now that Onew wasn’t alone at all.

“And, who might this lady be, Onew-hyung?” asked the curious boy.

Onew, taking advantage of the publicity he owned, seized Sooyoung’s hand and held it tightly. Smiling at the domino effect it had on the crowd, he told them something that made everyone, even Sooyoung, to think twice before ever understanding what he meant. Siwon nearly choked on his chicken rolls, as Luna looked at the Editor in Chief sadly, knowing it was too late.

“She’s my girlfriend.”                                                                                            

“And he’s the only who knows it,” said Sooyoung cowardly, knowing that everyone’s eyes were on the two of them.

He tightened his grip on her, making her shut up and behave like a good girlfriend she ought to be. Smiling conceitedly, Onew stared at her, his eyes nearly apologizing for the unexpected.

As a signal to his brother, Onew waved, as he dragged Sooyoung to one corner of the house, to where prying eyes were no longer present. It was rather dark, only the light from the kitchen brightened the way. He pushed her to the wall, sighing deeply in surprise. Little did he know, Siwon meant to follow them, knowing that something was wrong here. Just a day ago, Sooyoung was single and available, she joked it over lunch.

“You’ve got to...forgive me for that,” Onew spoke. “My brother had always been...nosy...about personal------”

Sooyoung pulled him by his tie, eyeing him angrily when their faces were merely inches away from touching.

“You...you better get me out of this mess or else...you are ing dead. Do you hear me? ing dead, Chief.”

“But what am I suppose to do? He was expecting I was bringing a girlfriend! He always does that and says I’m a complete dork. I don’t get girlfriends.” Onew replied.

“I can see why,” Sooyoung cussed.

He glared at her. “If you want to keep your job in the paper, you better do what I say.”

“That’s blackmailing,” she complained, folding her arms.

“As the current boss, you do as I say.”

She rolled her eyes. “Forget it, Chief. This is abuse of authority.”

“It’s not,” Onew reasoned out, hearing the loud thump of his heart. Why did he want Sooyoung to understand the condition he was in? But she had to, or else their stand-in fake relationship would not work out tonight.

“Look, just tonight, Sooyoung,” Onew begged.

She felt pity but she still hated the fact that she had to play pretend. “What’s in it for me?”

He began thinking of a bribe that will get h to do it. “I’m letting you choose for your position next year. As the current Chief, I decide what you brats will be before I leave the university and work my off even more.  When you say you want my job, you can have it next year. Just do this for me. Do you understand? How about it? Truce?”

“I still don’t want to play Chief’s girlfriend because-----”

Hearing the crispy crack of dead leaves on the ground just at the other side, Onew quickly glanced at Sooyoung for other further notifications about what to do. She looked at him, alarmed that she had to do something or else they would be caught here, fighting like two cats.

Hastily she grabbed him closer, lips crashing to one another. Onew’s eyes grew big in astonishment, as he went along with the kissing exercise they had to show off. His heart...he could feel it under that thick shirt. It was spontaneously knocking on his chest, pumping to the extreme like there wouldn’t be a tomorrow, as passionately he repaid her with a pleasing warm kiss.

“Whoa, get a room, hyung,” demanded the younger boy, covering his eyes from the unwanted scenery. “I’m telling Mom of this.”

Onew pulled away from pressing the girl any further to the wall, as he apologized to his brother sheepishly. Sooyoung inhaled the remaining oxygen in the air, lowering her head as she noticed the boy was still looking at her.

“I’m Lee Junsu,” he said, gazing at her.

“Sooyoung,” she said, trembling from the kiss, shaking his hand. “Choi Sooyoung.”

“She’s pretty,” Junsu told his brother.

Onew nodded. “Yes, very.”

“How come you scored someone like her? And she’s a Choi,” Junsu said.

Onew smirked. “Because I’m great.”

She looked at him curiously. “Hell, stop talking about me when I’m right here in front of you. I’m not deaf, you know. I feel awkward now.”

Onew threw his arm over her shoulder, laughing happily. Sooyoung acted the same way, feeling guilt towards his brother who looked nearly like Onew. He was tall, dimples at his sides when he smiled at her.

“You’re one lucky guy,” the boy told his brother. “Take care of her or I might take her myself.” He winked at Sooyoung as he turned his back on them, she feeling the Goosebumps going up and down.

Onew shivered as well, looking at Sooyoung oddly. “You have to forgive my brother too, he’s a bit...”

“A bit like you?” Sooyoung answered for him, smiling ironically. “Yeah, I’ve noticed.”

“Do you want to leave after we eat?” Onew asked.

“I want this to be over with as soon as possible. So please do,” she agreed, sighing heavily as she walked passed him, out to where the party was. Onew followed, seizing again her hand.

“Wait...I want to-----”

“Pull me again like that and you’ll meet death early,” she told him irately.

“I want you not to be angry at me,” Onew asked of her. “I’m sorry if I’m...I’m being selfish here. I’m really sorry, Sooyoung. Please understand.”

“Oh of course,” she said, glaring. “Why don’t just rent a motel room, do what you want with me there, marry me and have kids that look like you and your brother? This is just getting way off hand and I am so...not used to this kind of adrenaline rush. , I’m tired talking. Let’s eat.”

“Won’t you think if we ever had kids they’ll have some of your genes too?” Onew said as he followed her to a table.

Her eyes squinted in repulsion, shaking her head. “You really can’t get the difference between sarcasm and reality, can you?”

He nodded silently, grinning cheerfully. She merely laughed, asking for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter