Chapter 12

The Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 12: “But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost”

As early as six, Ryeowook was up. He couldn’t remember clearly how he got to his bed, all that came to mind was Yesung-hyung carrying him to the car. It was his turn again to make breakfast (the others begged him not to) since they all took turns with each other on who gets to be the cook. Siwon did it yesterday, and so it was now his job to get things ready before his hyungs got up.

Sundays were practically the laziest days. There was nothing much to do and you tend to be sleepy all the time. Wook noticed he was still wearing the sleeved hot shirt from last night. He quickly ed it and took it off, releasing the air inside because it felt too stuffy. Across him was the tired Hyukjae, drooling again on his pillow, only wearing his shorts to bed? Ah, but his hyung slept like a baby. He didn’t even budge when Wook finally closed the door behind him to go downstairs and begin owning the kitchen.

Surprised to see a woman on their couch, Ryeowook covered his mouth to avoid gasping aloud. Kyuhyun was with her, except he wasn’t sleeping with her on the sofa. Ryeowook didn’t take Kyuhyun as one of those men who had taken the ladies for granted, but here he was, sitting on the floor, his head by the girl’s hair, asleep.

The young boy tiptoed to the kitchen, quietly as he could to avoid waking them up. He even thought to himself the two made quite a fine couple. Their maknae was growing up too fast.

Reaching the kitchen, he found Eeteuk drinking brewed hot coffee, reading a book he was unsure of. The sun was barely shining by the windowsill, usually coloring the area yellow in the early mornings.

“Hyung-nim, good morning,” Ryeowook greeted him. Leeteuk nodded at him before he continued reading.

The boy proceeded to the counter, opening the cupboards to look for cereals, and probably a cup of rice to brighten the morning. Coffee was important too, so he heated the thermostat, busily getting the boxes ready for the boys to just get. He chopped a few carrots and slices of whatever-vegetable-it-was and drowned them in a pot he was going to boil. He ought to make soup.

“I hope those two didn’t do anything bad last night,” Leeteuk suddenly spoke.

Ryeowook’s brows were raised. “Who?”

“Kyuhyun and Seohyun,” Teuk answered. “You didn’t hear anything bad, did you?”

“I was...very much asleep, Leeteuk-hyung,” he said. “Why? I...I don’t get it. What do you mean by bad?”

“It’s good you don’t get it,” Leeteuk remembered that Wookie was actually in the same age group as Kyu. He drank his coffee again, turning to the next page of his book.

The boy simply shrugged, turning his attention to the food he was going to make.

“What’s for breakfast?” entered a sleepy Siwon in his pajamas, yawning and rubbing his eyes. “Eeteuk-hyung, do you remember what happened to Sungmin-hyung? He was totally wiped out by the beer last night.”

“Really? I only took care of Eunhyuk and Donghae,” Leeteuk said, recalling. “Wookie and Kibum-sshi too, I carried them to their beds. Yesung-sshi...drank more when we got back, you remember. I don’t know what happened with that kid. Heechul took care of him and you. Hangeng...Hangeng handled Sungmin.”

“Soup, rice and cereal,” Ryeowook replied, just listening to them talk. “Thank you Hyung-nim for taking care of me last night.”

“I had to Ryeowook-sshi,” Leeteuk smiled at him.

There was a knock on their door, causing the three to jerk on the outside. It was only six in the morning, how was it possible for anyone to be coming so early on a Sunday morning? Irritated it sounded; the knock continuously repeated the beat on the door.

Leeteuk ran towards the door, glancing at Kyuhyun and Seohyun who were still asleep. He opened it and found someone he didn’t expect to be coming over.

“Where’s our maknae?” whined Taeyeon at him, angrily getting inside without permission. She looked for the light switch, and had the lights on immediately---realizing Kyuhyun and Seohyun were together. The girl bolted up the moment she felt the lights were on, rubbing her head in shock.

She looked at her side, seeing Kyuhyun so tired. By the door, she noticed Leeteuk was explaining to Taeyeon that they didn’t do anything. Taeyeon was not listening, as she approached Seohyun.

Shifting to a nicer mode, Taeyeon sat next to her, patting her shoulders, and then pinching her cheeks worriedly.

“Did they do anything to you, Seohyun?” Taeyeon asked.

She shook her head, smiling. “No, Taeyeon-unnie. They were very nice to me.”

“Oh dear,” Taeyeon said, covering in shock. “Are you sure they didn’t hurt you at all? I mean, you stayed for the night in a dorm with eleven drunken boys.”

Seohyun grinned, hugging her unnie. “Oh, Taeyeon-unnie. They would not hurt me. They saved me last night. I owe everything to Kyuhyun-oppa.”

Taeyeon looked at the boy next to her, who didn’t bother budging when she came. She shook him, waking up a very cranky Kyuhyun.

“I would not have done that if I were you,” Leeteuk commented as Kyuhyun stood up.

“What the is your problem? Huh? I’m trying to sleep here and you go on waking me up so you’re ing schedule won’t be ruined. What the hell do you want now, huh?” He opened his eyes, drowsily he became conscious that Eeteuk was far from him, and only Taeyeon and Seohyun were staring at him in shock.

He got up, stretched and bowed his head, still dizzy. “I...apologize for being rude. I thought you were Hyung-nim.”

Seohyun started giggling. Kyuhyun looked up at the girl, finding her laugh to be the cutest thing in the world, as the heavens just loved to with these little wonders. He smiled back, turning his head around.

“Oppa, even when Eeteuk-oppa is around,” Seohyun spoke, “you still manage to insult him.”

Leeteuk frowned. “Ha, I like this girl of yours, Taeyeon. She knows something that my boys don’t.”

Taeyeon proudly grinned. “Yes, well. That’s because I’m a very good sunbae to all of them. Your leadership that’s why your boys don’t know respect.”

Leeteuk smirked, fuming inside that he left the living room. Taeyeon enjoyed the thrill it brought to her seeing her opponent fail. She then looked at Seohyun, still concerned. The bandage on her head was obvious when she flipped her hair to the side.

“What happened to you? Where did you get that? What did they do to you?”

“She almost got hurt last night by seven men in an alley. I don’t know why they were there. I just saw her being pulled by those men,” Kyuhyun interjected. “I got them all except for one, which slashed Seohyun with his knife by the head, I guess. Yesung-hyung and Leeteuk-hyung were there too. That’s why she stayed for the night. We took care of her, don’t worry.”

“Shouldn’t we see a doctor? Not just some boys who were practically half-awake by that time?” Taeyeon scowled.

“Hmm, I was sober by then,” Kyuhyun added. “So, it was no problem at all.”

Taeyeon bowed her head in gratitude. “Thank you, Kyuhyun-sshi. Come on, Seohyun. Let’s go back.”

“I’m hungry,” she stated, hearing her stomach grumble. “Can we have breakfast here first?”

Kyuhyun liked this idea, nodding. “Yeah, stay. Wookie-sshi’s cooking.” The boy left them in the  living room, going upstairs by then to check his PSP if it was fully charged. He remembered having it charged before leaving for the party last night.

Taeyeon puffed her cheeks, sinking back to the couch. Remembering why she was here in the first place, Taeyeon opened her bag, as she picked up the plain pink oversized t-shirt and skinny jeans. She handed these to Seohyun.

“Go change dear,” Taeyeon ordered her. “You smell like...men and beer and blood. Your pretty dress got stained by it.”

Seohyun nodded courteously, accepting the clothing. “Thank you, Taeyeon-unnie.”

“Leeteuk-sshi!” yelled Taeyeon irately from the living room. Teuk came running, a bored look on his face.

“What is it, ?” he smiled angelically, his coffee at one hand.

Taeyeon stood, taking Seohyun with her. “Where’s your bathroom here? Seohyun needs a shower.”

The eldest pointed upstairs. “There’s one on the left. Last room. Hangeng’s using the one downstairs. Make sure to knock first.”

Seohyun nodded, leaving the two as she crossed to the second floor. A towel over her shoulder, clothes in her hand, Seohyun found the restroom quickly and entered. They were surprisingly clean. The bowl was neat, floors good-looking and tiled. She hurriedly undressed herself now, getting into the shower as fast as the water ran cold down her spine; she was biting her lip as she drastically did the best not to feel the aridness of her wound.

She got out, head swirling. Drying herself with a towel as she stepped out of the tub, Seohyun careful brushed her hair first. The doorknob clicked, a talkative Kyuhyun, shirtless and in his boxers now, entering without having any idea that she was in there. He let out a huge gasp after taking notice that the room was occupied, Seohyun promptly covering the towel around before he could have seen anything. Hastily he closed the door behind him. She could hear him sigh greatly before saying, “Are you done?”

She cleared shyly, “Ah, not yet, oppa.” Her cheeks couldn’t help themselves from reddening like that of a ripe tomato. She pressed them together, making blowing noises as she fanned herself from that awkward moment.

She hastened to get dressed; slipping into the clothes her unnie gave her. It wasn’t her idea to wear white pants. She had already brought them over. Displeased, Seohyun gulped and modestly opened the door.

Kyuhyun had his back turned, whistling freely.

“Oppa, it’s free,” Seohyun said, bowing her head.

“Sorry. I didn’t know you were there.” Kyuhyun apologized, still no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter