Chapter 1: They also serve who only stand and wait- John Milto

The Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

He missed it---the soft feel of the grass beneath his arms as he rested under the sun, the long walks around the park just across where he stayed, and the lovely bed he used to hang about for the whole weekend just lying there asleep…

All of which changed into the opposite, he thought. The dormitory from the outside was indeed heart-warming, but if one would look very closely, it was rather dirty and unkempt.  He knew SMEU had top janitors to clean the whole place just before the school year started, but seriously, this was beyond expected. It was a two-story building, wide and made of wood. The roof, must had been red before, was quite rusty. Its gutters were broken and the downspout was twisted.

He did not even think there were still these kinds of homes in the area. Of his four years in the university, this was the first time he actually set eyes upon such an unpleasant dorm.  In fact, this was the first time he transferred to a separate building, an isolated one.

His old dorm was perfect because it had everything. His friends were all there. However, some random kid came and took his reservation. The faculty seemed to have decided him to move to Bldg. 13, which was around Merlin-knows-where and found it here, so far from the main school grounds. He grimaced, slowly dragging his bag, and now heading for the door. After all, his sufferings will end in just a few months time. This was his last year. He could survive, he must.

Before he got to the doorstep, someone opened the door. A boy, not too tall, thin and milky white skinned, got out. His blonde hair covered much of his eyes so it was hard to tell if Eeteuk knew him by face. The boy turned around inside, calling out, “Where are my slippers?”

Eeteuk approached him, feeling rather nervous that even in this dorm---other students have occupied the rooms. He gulped, running his hands through his hair in anxiety. The boy noticed him.

“Yes?” His eyes were round and lazy it gave Eeteuk the bumps. He had not seen him around so he then suspected this beautiful boy was probably a freshman.

“I’m assigned to this dorm. Still have any space for me?” asked Teuk, awaiting the boy’s negative confirmation.

The boy smiled. “It has five rooms in it rather than six, and you get to share the room with a friend. Mind taking one?”

He nodded in gratitude. “Thank you so much. I’m Park Jungsu, although I go by the name of Leeteuk.”

“Heechul’s the name,” he replied. “Please do come in, Eeteuk.”

“I’m in my fourth year, by the way.” Eeteuk reminded Heechul as they entered, wanting at least some common honorific to show his respect for him.

The boy laughed. When he stopped, he said, “Really? Me too. What course are you in? I’m studying creative writing, major in English.”

“Major in Film,” he answered, still shocked with Heechul’s revelation.

“Wait…” Heechul stopped him, eyeing him with vagueness. “When’s your birthday?”

Eeteuk thought that it was relatively insensitive of Heechul, thinking that he will just simply give away such personal information. Nevertheless, Teuk noticed no harm in letting other people know.

“July 1,” he told him, and Heechul just nodded.

“Let’s go in, Hyung.”

The receiving area had a peaceful aura to it, the rugs were white and fluffy---just the way he liked it. The couch was elegant aside from being simply blue. The walls painted in light parchment, floors wood tiled. The plasma screen TV was good in high definition, now showing a sports channel, and he could see the wide dining table through the doorway. Another boy, still with his bags on him, was intently watching the soccer game progress. The stairs were at the other end of the room, and someone was coming down from them, eating ramen.

“Hangeng, where’d you get those?” Heechul asked the other kid who just came from the second floor.

He was taller than Heechul, Eeteuk noticed, and was pale. His hair was black; he had piercings on his ear, and wore indoor clothing. It surprised him again when this person started talking in Chinese (or was it?) as Heechul introduced the hyung to Hangeng.

Heechul smirked, somewhat apologizing. “Hangeng’s from China. He came to study here at SMEU major in linguistics as a full scholar. He is also in his Senior Year. So it isn’t really a bother if he starts muttering words he made up.”

“Nice to meet you,” Hangeng courteously bowed.

“That kid,” pointed Heechul at the boy sitting so wrapped up with the show, “his name is Donghae. He’s a sophomore. I don’t know. Ask him, anyways. He keeps acting all cute. I need to get my things out of the luggage and into the drawers, first. Hangeng, make everyone some lunch.”

“What do I look like, your personal chef?” he retorted incredulously.

“Whatever. Make it for ten.” Heechul rolled his eyes before going up to his room.

“Why ten?” Hangeng asked, but the other boy failed to hear it.

Eeteuk had no interest in having friendly conversations with anyone, not until he got his nap. His trip from home took four hours, and finally took its toll on his eyes. They were getting heavier even before his classes started.

“Which room upstairs is vacant?” Eeteuk inquired from Hangeng, who was busily getting ready to cook pasta.

Hangeng grinned, “There are two rooms on the left side and three rooms on the right. Well…going up, the first room to your right is Heechul and Donghae’s room. Donghae agreed to stay with someone older than him, and he does not seem to like me that much so he said he‘d share with Heechul-hyung. I still don’t have a partner for my room that is on the farthest end of the right side. All rooms at the left are vacant. Take what you think is good for you.”

“Thanks,” he told him and then went up. A knock from the main door startled him, knowing that more and more students will occupy the open. He hurriedly went upstairs and decided to take the first one on the left side.

The landing was gorgeous. The tiny chandelier gave everything a scenic view, a grand piano hidden beneath a white thin sheet. Placed in the middle it was, the centerpiece of the second level. Blocks of canvas sheets were set by the window, stains of paint left on the floor. Near that one lay, three old untouched violin cases. He inferred that the previous users were artistically inclined, as well as in love with music. He now wondered what kind of people he would be encountering. One thing was for sure, he had a bad feeling about the three. Heechul acted somewhat weird, and so did Hangeng. Donghae was nothing but a jock.

“Yes Mom, I packed extra underwear,” was what he whispered to his phone. “I know, Mom. I worked too hard to get here. I will not let you down. Yes, Mom. Take care of him, too. I love you. I miss you, too. Stay safe. Eat well. Good bye.” The line went dead.

After nearly touring the whole campus, he finally succeeded in locating Bldg. 13 assigned to him this year. He finally concluded that all of his dormitories, ever since he started studying at SME University, were definitely defective in some way. He laughed at that and knocked on the door. From the inside he heard a man’s voice calling out, “Donghae, see who is it.”

It sounds like they are a lot of them already. I wonder if I still have a room to stay. They won’t like me at all. I’m just sure of it. They’ll think of…like last year.

“Hello,” the boy greeted him. His brown hair was a bit long, covering a part of his delicate eyes that seemed to shine. He was sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter