Weak

Grenade

 

 

C H A P T E R F O R T Y F I V E

 

There she was, standing in front of the classroom—the place where her fun had begun, the place where everything happened for a reason, and also the place to end everything—somewhat hesitating whether to enter or not. The event yesterday’s still fresh in her mind, though reluctance is not in the story. It’s Taemin. She thought of it every second before she went off to bed. Questions started to boggle her innocent mind. Whether those are positive or negative, all she knows is that she’s doing it for Taemin’s own good.

“You’re not going inside?” The voice that she doesn’t want to hear early in the morning set her free from her own world. Without much of uncertainty, she went inside, not paying attention to him, the one she should and would not look—and talk—at.

Taemin looked at her with surprise because of her sudden snobbish attitude. It’s not the YoonA he knows—in fact, she’s not YoonA. The girl he just called out then paid no attention to him must be another girl.

He shook his head. Maybe she’s stressed, or tired, he just assured to his self. The options he had listed in his head kept going on and on, and it’s all about her illness. Yet he still doesn’t understand her.

The classes went on without Taemin noticing it. He has been listening to none of their teachers. All of his attention went to YoonA, who paid nothing in return. She’s in her usual self—the cheerful YoonA, actively participating during classes, the one who gets the highest score in their seatwork—the usual YoonA he likes. But one thing’s missing: it’s her attitude towards Taemin.

He admits YoonA still acts cold towards him even after confessing. It’s all because of the ‘tutor’ thing, ‘coz Taemin doesn’t pay attention every time. But it’s somewhat odd and non-methodical at all. Even the smartest guy in their campus couldn’t analyze her.

The bell has rung before Taemin even noticed him. He was sure that it’s dismissal since YoonA stood up, preparing everything. One thing he noticed all the time he stared at her—she looks so pale and weak, whereas it’s the complete opposite of what she’s acting towards their classmate. Cheerfully smiling at everyone, especially and most at Sulli: the thing bothered him the most.

He walked towards everyone who looked at YoonA carefully. They were asking questions for her paleness is so much visible after the bell. She just shook the questions off and answer them with a simple “I’m okay”.

“But you’re so pale,” said one of their classmates who used to hate her. “Maybe you need—”

Before YoonA can even assure her that she’s okay, a loud thud was heard in their room.

 

 

“I’m so happy for you!” A cheerful honest statement came from the shikshin’s vocal mouth. The way she expressed her sincere happiness made Jessica smile. “I’m really happy that your dad finally accepted Jjong oppa.”

“I know,” chuckled Jessica. “I never saw it coming, to be honest. I thought everything would be in a mess. Though I planned it all, I never imagined my dad would give him his open arms.”

Sooyoung smiled. “Maybe your dad just waited for you two.”

“Maybe,” said Jessica, “and I guess he just wanted to challenge Jonghyun too.”

The two girls settled themselves comfortably on a bench in the school’s garden. They were waiting for YoonA to arrive (Taeyeon’s already home, accompanied by Onew). They didn’t notice the time for they enjoyed so much in talking by themselves.

Sooyoung then noticed girls shrieking from the inside of YoonA’s classroom. The way the shrieks sounded was odd yet very intriguing. “Boys?”

Jessica looked at her with unease. “Come on Sooyoung. Boys? That’s not what they sound.”

“What happened there?”

“Maybe we should find out?”

Before they can even walk upstairs, they saw Taemin carrying an almost lifeless girl in his strong arms.

“YoonA!”

Words that aren’t comprehendible suddenly burst out from the Jessica and Sooyoung. They tried their best to keep their pace fast just to be with Taemin’s behind all the time. Thankfully, Jessica’s driver was waiting at the gate for no one could accompany the girl and the three of them to the hospital but him. The way YoonA just lay there in his arms unmoving and paler, Jessica started to cry. Her own perceptions bugged her, but she kept on hitting her head to keep on going.

Finally, Taemin settled YoonA inside the minivan in a swift movement. Jessica and Sooyoung sat on the passenger’s seat (their figures are so small they fit in a one-sitter), while Taemin sat beside the unconscious YoonA—her head in his lap.

“What happened?” asked Jessica so fast, sobs escaped from .

Taemin shrugged, too much fear attacked him. “I… I was…” He struggled for words.

“Relax,” said Sooyoung softly. “Just relax.”

Taemin took a deep breath before going on. “I was about to approach her because she’s not paying attention to me when I suddenly heard a loud thud on the floor. When I reached her seat, it was she—laying lifeless there.”

“Unconscious,” Jessica corrected. “Lifeless is such a big word, Taem.”

Taemin bowed. “Sorry; I just…”

“I understand you,” Jessica replied, “but using that term makes me so much in pain too. Remember, I’m her cousin.”

“It’s not only you who’s in pain… also me.”

 

Fast footsteps suddenly entered the hospital. A group of young people walked—or should be said ran—towards the receptionist.

“Where’s the room of Im YoonA?” asked Minho groggily. The worry of everyone stayed exposed. Without much receiving attention from the three receptionists (they were practically talking to each other, such not paying attention to him).

“Excuse me!” blurted out Yuri, the most worried one. This entranced the eyes of anyone and everyone in the hospital. “Would you just pay attention to us for a while?!”

“… What is it, Miss?” asked the nervous receptionist. Kibum looked at the tag on her uniform, written in small stitched letters ‘Baek Suzy’.

Kibum said, “Baek Suzy, we’re asking for the room number of the patient Im YoonA who was just admitted here an hour ago.”

“Im YoonA?” repeated the second receptionist named Im Shinyoung.

“You didn’t hear clearly?”

“We’re sorry, Sir,” Baek Suzy replied, “but you’re not allowed to see her now.”

“Why not? What’s her room number?!” screamed Taeyeon.

Baek Suzy looked at them with fear. “She’s… she’s in the ICU.”

 

Pacing back and forth outside the ICU room of the hospital, Taemin was bothered, really bothered. Is her illness at worst? Questions kept on intriguing his mind.

It’s almost an hour when they sent her here. One hour inside the ICU: isn’t it a bit bad? The sound of the pulse rate machine every second assured him of her life.

“Taemin!” A voice suddenly called out.

“Noona… Hyungs…” Taemin replied weakly. “I…”

“How’s she?”

Taemin shook his head. “I… I don’t know.”

“Let’s just pray there.” Yuri then pointed to the chapel inside the hospital. “Nothing will be lost if we just pray for her.”

“But that…”

Minho patted his shoulders. “That’s not what you think.”

“But… but when you see her—”

They were interrupted by the sudden entrance of the doctor in their group. He looked so old for a forty-year-old doctor. He coughed, gaining the attention of everyone. “Are you all related to Miss Im?”

They all nodded. “Yes, we are all related to her.”

“We need to make a quick blood transfer to her.”

Everyone looked at the doctor confusingly. He took it as his cue to go on. “She’s out of red blood cells already, and the white blood cells continue to grow and reproduce, the diseased ones painfully attacking the healthy ones. She’s also anorexic; she hasn’t been eating regularly thus making her weaker.”

“She’s not eating?!”

Yuri patted Taemin’s shoulders. “It’s not the time to question the doctor about a simple matter, Taemin.”

“What’s her blood type?” asked Onew.

The doctor then enunciated the words carefully. “She’s a blood typed AB.”

“Who has the same type?” asked Taemin wearily.

“I…” Everyone gave their saddest words.

“I see.” The doctor shook his head. “It’s rare to have a blood typed AB person.”

Out of nowhere, a voice suddenly lit up the scene. “I am. My blood type’s AB.”

 


 

Author’s notes:

As promised, I will end this story by the end of May. But, I broke the promise that I will finish this on MAY 19. What day is it already? It’s a Sunday here, May 20. So to my beloved subscribers, REJOICE and BE GLAD! Because the expected date has been postponed. (:

I’m also happy because of your comments. Ending this story is the hardest thing for me in Asianfanfics because GRENADE is my MOST SUCCESSFUL fiction everrrrrr. It’s all because of you. Every one of you helped in maintaining this story a success and somewhat beautiful. I am always satisfied with my updates here in the story because you guys always give me beautiful feedbacks.

But one problem: Our laptop has been reformatted, so ALL files were deleted. So, I am not sure how many chapters there will be before finale. I don’t know. One thing’s for sure: The next chapter is not the finale.

I will not end this without the last solution—and it’s all for TAEMYOON. Rejoice, TaemYoonAddicts<3

I hope you liked this chapter! I love you all.

P.S: Please follow the SOOKEY’S TUMBLR PAGE. (: